Raynaud's Phenomenon & MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
C3Glo
Family Member

Raynaud's Phenomenon & MS

Post by C3Glo »

In the past couple years I have been having issues with my fingers going completely numb & turning white when the get cold. It has gotten worse over the past year & I finally went to my Dr & she told me it is called Raynaud's Phenomenon or syndrome. She said she see it in people with auto immune diseases like MS & Lupus etc ... I'm just currious if anyone else with MS has dealt with this issue????
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Post by ozarkcanoer »

I have a neighbor who has Raynaud's syndrome and I believe she has Lupus. She wears heavy gloves all the time.
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

C3Glo

My daughter was diagnosed with Raynaud's syndrome about one year ago. Her GP told her that it would not be MS related. Three months ago my daughter went to Stanford to be tested by Dr. Dake (she had not previously been diagnosed with MS). Dr. Dake found a stenosis in the right jugular vein and lesions on the brain which were indicative of MS.

Sharon
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

I have never been diagnosed with or considered Reynaud's syndrome, but when it gets below about 65 degrees Fahrenheit, I get numb hands. They do not turn white though. I also have an inner cold when it goes below that ambient temperature, and this has been reported by quite a few others here.

Oh yes, and I have CCSVI/MS.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi folks,

raynaud's is caused by blood vessels spasming, constricting blood flow. mineral status has a lot to do with how much people suffer from different types of spasticity - so try loading up on a good multimineral. you may find it has numerous other benefits too.

ask NHE, he noticed that after he started taking multimineral supplement with calcium, magnesium and zinc for his MS, that his raynaud's cleared up. coincidence? maybe.

survey: who here has raynaud's, and is taking 1000mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, and 50mg zinc daily?

JL
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

survey: who here has raynaud's, and is taking 1000mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, and 50mg zinc daily?
I do, and have been for a while. Perhaps if I really pay attention (I have not been), I might be able to spot a co-relation.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

I have raynaud's syndrome--high dose niacin helped for a while, then stopped-I take the Mg and Ca, they don't help the syndrome, but high dose zinc seems to help (100-150, not 50).

And if you take zinc, always take copper in about 10/1 ratio (10 zn to 1 cu), and at separate times.
kc
Family Elder

raynauds

Post by kc »

Oh yes I have it! I am 40 now but remember it even as a teen. Oh it is painful. I feel pain in my hands when it is under 50 degrees.

Wow this is all making sense now. This is exciting!

kc
C3Glo
Family Member

Post by C3Glo »

I was also wondering if there is correlation with CCSVI ... I do take high does of the above mentioned supplements & minerals along with an additional long list. I have found huge beenefit in other areas ie. numbness & tingling in extremities, fatigue, mood etc ... but not with the Reynauds ...
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

I've got it. My dad has it too so I figured it was something inherited. I take roughly the amounts of supplements jimmy recommends, except not quite that much zinc.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

well as far as i know, NHE does not take such high amounts as i listed above, but his went away even at lower doses.

probably diff ppl get it for different reasons. or, it was adding those minerals in combination with something else he was doing that made the difference.

NHE, chime in here if you spot this - what's the rest of your regimen?
Family Member

Post by Guest »

Raynaud’s syndrom is strongly associated with scleroderma and lupus. Not with MS. I have a purple–red–blue–white kind of discoloration of my hands, but it’s nothing like Raynaud’s syndrom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rayna ... ndrome.jpg PICTURES
C3Glo
Family Member

Post by C3Glo »

mine goes white ... it almost looks like my fingers are dead & if they get too cold can get quite painful! ... interesting that not associated with MS ... my Dr. seemed to think it associated with auto immune diseases .... I don't really know much about it!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

interesting, will have to look and see if any of the known nutrition issues with lupus and scleroderma and raynauds share any common threads with the ms issues.
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

The one thing I've noticed that makes it worse is caffeine, but without that, life isn't worth living, so I just deal with the white fingers.

Return to “General Discussion”