Severe Fatigue - Solution?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Postby Smitha » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 am

hi all,
thank you very much for all ur responses. I have been traveling to get from USA to INDIA for the past 4 days (thanks to all the bad weather). Forgive me for the delayed response. Since I do not have a good internet connection (Thanks to metro rail construction out here). I ill be speaking with my doctor about all the suggestions that you have given me here. I will get back to you guys with what she says. I have already started taking a load of vitamins and I am hoping that will help for now.

@jimmylegs
I have not had an iron test. I will be speaking to my doctor about it and we will get one done asap. thank you for that suggestion. Female, Pre-Menopause and vegetarian but I have had no iron problems until now. I bought an over the counter vitamin D tablet. Each of this has 250IU of vitaminD. But the links you have given me says I need 4000IU a day. (16 tablets a day?????.... Phew!)

@shye and Jimmylegs
My diet now( and basically throughout my life) and very rarely eggs. Vegetarian for me means, rice, lentil, a load of vegetables, milk everyday with coffee or cereal, barely any chocolates or candy. I do not know what gluten is.But continuing on my food habits... wheat tortilla (chappati), and some fruits. i am guessing i get all my protein and my iron from the lentil and veggies, but i have never really checked.

Again, thanks to all of you... I shall get back to you after talking to my doctor.
Smitha
Getting to Know You...

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 am

hey there s, glad to hear you have started supplementing.

i think that part of your post might have been deleted? but i think you mean that has been mostly vegetarian, with some dairy, and rarely eggs?

FYI gluten is a protein combo in wheat, rye, barley.. some people react badly to it. standard ms diets recommend avoiding gluten, legumes, and any POTENTIAL allergens such as dairy, eggs, etc.

anyway, the iron test is 'ferritin' .. and personally i buy my d3 from the pharmacist in a high concentration liquid - i only take a drop a week and it is about 25,000IU.

from what you have described, i am going to make an educated guess that your iron, zinc, b12, uric acid, and vitamin d3 levels are all low. that's because your diet sounds very close to what mine was, and i had all those levels done and was low. could be worth looking into. all of those are significant for ms patients. if you do get bloodwork, allow a week's 'washout' period of no supplements beforehand, so that you get a clean read. and no coffee prior to uric acid bloodwork :)

leetz, k, i have to run but will try to get back to you with some more info.. problem is (i have been scolded for this by chefly acquaintances in the past) i don't track my amounts.. so i will be ballparking any recipes and everything will be 'to taste' LOL!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Smitha » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 am

Hi All,

I am now really nervous. I do not experience fatigue. My right foot just refuses to lift off the ground. Every 10 seconds I walk, I need to sit down. Even after sitting down for an hour, I struggle to walk even for 10 seconds. And an overnight rest means that I can walk barely for a minute. But I know I am not tired. And its strange that in just 5 months of my diagnosis, I have reached this stage. Did anyone else here experience such a problem?

Awaiting your reply.
Smitha
Smitha
Getting to Know You...

Postby shye » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:26 am

HI Smitha,
Yes, I have been there-too often. When they misdiagnosed my MS--first they said it was chronic fatigue, then had severe liver problem so they attfbuted it all to the damaged liver--I got this way often.
Ended up using mega doses of Niacin--worked to some degree.
Now I use mega doses of vitamin B1 and a lot of other vitamins and minerals--
check out this protocol, Dr Klenner's--quite helpful for me:
http://www.tldp.com/issue/11_00/klenner.htm

It takes time to be fully effective, but you should notice a differece fairlyquickly.

Here is the easier abbreviated protocol, which i am now pretty much following (except have not yet gotten acetic acid):
...should a given patient's physician refuse to administer this schedule, I have this recommendation:
-One gram thiamin hydrochloride one hour before meals and at bed hour, and during the night if awake.
-Niacin taken at the same time, and in amounts sufficient to produce a good body flush.
-Two hundred mg. calcium pantothenate and
-100mg pyridoxine before meals and at bed hour.
-Ten grams ascorbic acid, taken in divided doses.
-Amino acetic acid: one heaping tablespoon in a glass of milk, four times each day.
Naturally, the full schedule will afford more dramatic response

and as I said above, I need to stay off the things I am allergic to, or I can't operate at all.
shye
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:51 am

been there, smitha. cement-legs. i think the klenner protocol has value also, even when you do the small oral protocol it is best to include oral supplements of all the minerals including zinc etc per the klenner recommendations. get a different vitamin E than is recommended by klenner. a natural vitamin E8 complex. should have soy and or sunflower oil. add a good daily food source of vitamin E to your diet. also klenner does not talk about vitamin d. you need to have 4000IU d3 going in daily for maintenance. if you are low right now, 4000IU per day will not boost your levels significantly. a short term megadose can help get you into the right range. bloodwork is important so that you know you where to start and over time, know you are not overdoing anything. HTH,
JL
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Smitha » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Right now, I am not able to reply to your mails individually as the internet is still not working at my place in India. And I cannot walk in this condition to the internet center. So, I shall respond to all of you when I get back to US.
And its such a relief to know that I am not the only person to have gone through such horrid times. Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that I am happy that others are undergoing this suffering. I was just worried that mine was the progressive case of MS.
Catch you all after I come to US or if I get the internet before that here.

Until later.
Smitha
Smitha
Getting to Know You...

Postby shye » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 am

And Smitha,
sounds like you might be under stress, travelling?
Stress uses up your vits and minerals faster, so can get these reactions, or worse when stressed out.
Meditation?
shye
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:08 pm

getting back to the foodies.. here's one that's actually a recipe i follow.. it's quercetastic :D

Bengal Beef
Serves 6
"Turmeric contains molecules with powerful anti-inflammatory effects - and inflammation plays an important role in the development of cancer.
Adding kefir to the diet of mice grafted with human tumours caused a 70 per cent decrease in tumour growth, the authors say.... This dish goes well with basmati rice."
4 tablespoons (60 mL) olive oil
11/2 pounds (750 g) lean ground beef
4 onions, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon (15 mL) curry powder
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground turmeric
1 tablespoon (15 mL) flour
1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cardamom
1 cube beef bouillon, crumbled (i skip this, it just boosts sodium)
11/2 cups (375 mL) water
1/4 cup (50 mL) vinegar
1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins
1/4 cup (50 mL) pine nuts
1/2 cup (125 mL) shelled pistachio nuts
11/2 cups (375 g) kefir or plain yogourt

Heat about 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil in a large, heavy frying pan. Cook the beef and set aside. Drain pan, wipe and heat remaining oil. Brown the onions and garlic for 20 minutes over medium-low heat. Add the curry and turmeric and cook slowly for another couple of minutes. Mix in the flour and salt, stirring well. Add freshly ground pepper, then the cardamom, crumbled bouillon cube, water, vinegar, raisins and the beef and mix well, cover and let simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pine nuts and the pistachio nuts. Serve topped with kefir or yogourt.

Approximate nutritional content per serving:
Calories.................................485
Protein.................................36 g
Fat........................................27 g
Carbohydrates......................26 g
Dietary fibre............................5 g
Sodium...........................680 mg (with bouillon cube)

i might just cave and start posting on the recipes thread in 'daily life' ;)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby dlb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 pm

OMG! Jimmylegs,

That sounds delicious! Keep your recipes coming - I've been looking forward to them since I saw your post about your cooking. Was glad someone asked for recipes!
Deb
dlb
Family Elder

JIMMYLEGS..

Postby leetz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 pm

you are amazing!!!keep em coming.........lol
GOD BLESS.... CCSVI treatment Dr. Siskin great doc....symptom's improved for about 3 week's (gait, balance, spasticity) now back to square 1...
leetz
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:45 am

okay lol thanks but i can't commit to much - i already spend WAYYY to much time on here. in a few months maybe i will get back onto my old old cookbook plans. of course those will have to be updated from my vegan ideals of the 90s :S haha
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:48 am

ps my favourite 'adds' to bengal beef are
1. throw some very thinly sliced red pepper in with the onions
2. chop up about half a head of cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces and add that the same time as the water vinegar beef etc.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

co-enzyme q10

Postby LadyDoe » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi everybody :)
I am new to this forum, this is my first post. I have recently been diagnose with MS, but suffered many years of severe fatigue along the way. My loyal chiropractor has really helped me find a solution to the ever presenting symptoms. He suggested that i try co-enzyme q10 - its a natural product.

Prior to taking it, i used to feel faint 6 hours into a 12 hour shift at work, i now take 300mg per day, i can complete a 12 hour shift without problems and i still can muster energy to cook and clean a little before collapsing in exhaustion.

its really worth a shot. its been proven to help in MS fatigue
... if it's going to be, it's up to me ... :)
LadyDoe
Family Member

Postby Smitha » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:34 am

So I am back... and not really much better than before.
I am so out of balance that a strong wind can make me have to hold on to something to stay upright.

I was reading online, that initial symptoms of imbalance and weakness translate to a poor prognosis. I have tried so far to not let this affect me, but i cant help but worry now. I was diagnosed less than a year back and I have not really noticed a long length of period with no symptoms. I am unable to decide if I have the more progressive case or if I simply have residual symptoms.

In any case I am just venting right now. Please forgive me...
Smitha
Getting to Know You...

Previous

Return to General Discussion