Switching from Tysabri to Gilenya

Gilenya, or Fingolimod, is the first approved oral disease modifying drug for MS.

Switching from Tysabri to Gilenya

Postby IrinaS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Does anybody know if there is a standard protocol for switching from Tysabri to Gilenya? Anybody did the switch?
User avatar
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: San Ramon, CA


Postby prof8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:35 pm

My doctor states that if I go off Tysabri the protocol for him is:

1. wait 60 days
2. on day 60 I would get 1,000 mg of IV steroids for 1 day
3. on day 90 I would start Gilenya.

The IV steroids are a precautionary measure to protect from any kind of rebound of MS while the Tysabri clears my system.

I noticed that people participating in the Gilenya trials who were previously on Tysabri had to wait 6 months. My neuro mentioned that in part they waited 6 rather than 3 months because Novartis wanted to insure that anyone who happened to get PML from month 3-5 couldn't blame it on Gilenya. 6 months protected Novartis more than 3 months.

Good luck.
User avatar
Family Elder
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Postby roadaction13 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks so much for this information.

Did either of you do the switch?

I am considering it.

It seems to me that fingolimod has a narrower method of immunosuppression than natalizumab, plus I do not want to risk PML.
User avatar
Getting to Know You...
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Postby laurasari » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:01 am

my dr is also concerned about the rebound effect and is putting me on Copaxone for almost 2 months. I will be off Tysabri for a total of 3 months as well

Good luck to all

laurie f
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Re: Switching from Tysabri to Gilenya

Postby SickButHappy2 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:11 am

They have to check also if you have antibodies of the chicken pox prior starting Gilenya.

I did the switch 4 months ago and I feel great. I didn't have a relapse, even if the efficancy is lower than Tysabri (50% vs 70% for Tysabri). I was too scared of the PML risk. This one is much safer. I always have a bottle of a sanitizer with me, I'm being careful without going crazy ;)
User avatar
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Return to Gilenya


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Contact us | Terms of Service