Gilenya may be best in MS patients failing initial treatment

Gilenya, or Fingolimod, is the first approved oral disease modifying drug for MS.
MSUK
Family Elder

Gilenya may be best in MS patients failing initial treatment

Post by MSUK »

Switching multiple sclerosis patients with disease activity despite treatment with a first-line injectable to oral fingolimod (Gilenya) was associated with fewer relapses than switching them to another standard injectable, researchers have found.

In a study, patients on either interferons or glatiramer acetate (Copaxone) who were switched to fingolimod had a significantly lower mean annualized relapse rate than those who changed to another injectable immunomodulator, according to Tomas Kalincik, MD, PhD, of Royal Melbourne Hospital in Australia, and colleagues...... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/gilenya
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
msmyass

Re: Gilenya may be best in MS patients failing initial treat

Post by msmyass »

So if i was on copaxone and it didn't work, and I switched to tecfidera only to get new enhanced lesions, and my dr is suggesting gilenya is that because there's a pattern in people who reject medications that typically work better wwith gilenya? Is it worth the side effects which are a step up from my previous treatments? Please help I have to decide on the medication and I am so scared of failing with another one and continuing to dwindle. I'm only 29 yrs old and I just got horrible news from my dr and I'm very scared. I'm a school teacher and I love my job I don't want to retire young. I have so much energy in the class it makes it worth it to fight the disease but if this stupid unfair disease gets in the way of the hugs I give my students I'm afraid losing that passion will break my heart and my mind.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Gilenya may be best in MS patients failing initial treat

Post by ElliotB »

There are no simple answers to your questions but from what I can determine, there is no concrete evidence that any of the MS drugs really work (I am on Copaxone and have been for 3 years and plan to continue taking it knowing this fact unless it is determined that it is not working). And if they do work, they only help prevent relapses and don't stop disease progression. So ultimately, your health may be more up to you and may benefit through diet, supplements, exercise and lifestyle changes rather than relying on any [unproven] drug.

Wishing you good health!