Hello from Oregon I am so glad I found all of you

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
thehawk

Hello from Oregon I am so glad I found all of you

Post by thehawk »

Hello saying hello first time on this site, my "future" mother in law has MS and also has Cystic fibrosis so I am new to all of this I would say. I am on here to try to find new or old ideas products that will help her with her everyday life. She is an amazing person, I just want to help her find herself again as she does not get out anymore. If you are in the Portland/Gresham area feel free to PM me as well thanks for your time! Dereck.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Hello from Oregon I am so glad I found all of you

Post by jimmylegs »

hi dereck welcome to TIMS! i can help with anything nutritional. just had a quick search to see if the CF 'usual suspects' match the MS ones, and found this so far:

Cystic fibrosis and malnutrition
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7679805041
Cystic fibrosis as a specific disease entity has been known to be associated with malnutrition for almost half a century. The importance of the malnutrition in the disease process remains unknown, as does much information about specific nutritional deficiencies in CF. Supplements for children with CF should include extra energy as fat or carbohydrate, a form of linoleic acid that can be absorbed, hydrolyzed protein, fat-soluble vitamins with vitamins A and E in a water emulsion, vitamin B12, probably B vitamins and vitamin C, and trace minerals. Routine measurements of nutritional status, particularly in children with growth failure, should be made at regular intervals and should include a three-day diet record and a simultaneous 72-hour stool fat determination. If fat malabsorption is not controlled by pancreatic enzymes, the use of antacids or cimetidine should be considered. The true role of nutrition in patients with CF will not be known until the appropriate studies are completed.

Zinc status and vitamin A transport in cystic fibrosis
http://www.ajcn.org/content/31/4/638.full.pdf
...........................CF patients...controls
Plasma zinc, ug/dL 72.1 ± 12.9 78.6 ± 17.7

i have to convert that patients average over, and it gives us... 11.03 which is deficient according to the 'normal' range 11.5-18.5 umol/L.
whereas the controls conversion gives us 78.6 which is 12.0 umol/L, or borderline. healthy controls sit up at the very top of the 'normal' range.

found another couple of studies suggesting zinc supplementation did not correct any problems, so i'll have to sit down with it for a bit to figure out the interconnections and see if i can argue their conclusions of figure out what could be going on. for now, have to go get some things done!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
thehawk

Post by thehawk »

Thanks jimmylegs. She is also does not eat any meat as she is a vegetarian.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

oh dear me. i used to be vegan, that's how i got into this whole mess in the first place. typical vegetarian deficiencies match the typical ms deficiencies, it's weird because meat-eaters can end up with the same nutritional problems because of detrimental food combinations.

when i first started reading the literature on nutrition and ms, my goal was to be a nutritionally responsible vegan, but i soon decided that a sustainable omnivorous whole food diet would be the better choice.

i'm helping a sick vegetarian coworker rework his diet right now, to try to address the known challenges of a vegetarian diet. he is resistant to re-introducing animal products (i get it, i used to be just like that too). once we get his diet optimized he's going to go for bloodwork, and then we'll decide what his supplement regimen will have to look like.

re your mom-in-law, to clarify, do you mean no red meat, pork, poultry, or fish, but she will eat eggs and dairy? if you can get your hands on a 3-day 'diet diary' including all food and beverages and supplements, i can give it a once-over to see if i spot anything that could be improved on.

ttfn
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.