New here hello

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
kenneth65
Getting to Know You...

New here hello

Post by kenneth65 »

Hi I'm new to the site and I'm trying to get more info.
My girlfriend has MS and I'm not going to give up on her. Can anyone help me get real info on MS its over whelming and I'm reading all sorts of info all is different I just want to understand more of it. How the site works and were to ask questions on some question she and I have. we are from Montreal Quebec and she doesn't read English so I told her that I would try to get some of her question ask
Thanks
Ken :confused:
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: New here hello

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, Ken. You have found a community that wants to help you any way we can.
I commend you for the support and help you offer to give to your girlfriend. There is LOTS of information to read here at this website. Pose your questions and we will answer them as best we can – in general, we are not medical professionals; but we can share our experiences. If you have a particular keyword in a question, you may find the "search" feature in the upper right-hand corner to be useful. All the best to you.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Many people use diet to treat this disease. The body can heal itself if you give it the vitamins and minerals it needs. When your girl friend see her doctor he will not tell her this. He has drugs for her and these drugs have severe side effects. Get all the information so your girl friend can decide for herself how she wants to treat MS.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... gram/Diet/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/healt ... .html?_r=3

kenneth65
Getting to Know You...

Post by kenneth65 »

I don't know what to make of this the meds are not working for her. this liberation treatment is it ccsvi? Can anyone explain this
All these people here that have MS still taking there meds after reading these article?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi kenneth, there is a whole section dedicated to CCSVI with lots of info for new readers, specifically listed at the top of the forum. you should find plenty of detail there.

personally i do not take meds for MS, but i never have, not so far anyway. i didn't do any reading that made me stop taking meds, i did reading that made me quite sure they were not applicable to my case. i technically have an ms diagnosis, but at the same time, i also don't think i'm necesarily a true representative sample of an ms patient. that said, i'll contradict myself to say that i definitely had a specific array of nutrition problems, and they happen to match the nutrition problems typically seen in ms patients.

i do believe there is a site with info on CCSVI en francais, you could try searching using http://www.google.fr
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Scat89
Family Member

Post by Scat89 »

Hi Kenneth,

Have your girlfriend look into HSCT treatment. There's a Dr in Ottawa who is currently treating Canadian MS patients w/ HSCT...here's some info about him http://www.ohri.ca/profiles/freedman.asp . Also, for a lot of good info on HSCT check out George Goss's blog at http://themscure.blogspot.com/ . It's a rough procedure, but has a very a curative rate especially if she's early in the disease cycle. In the mean time it's a good idea to get on an anti-inflammatory food diet.

Scat
kenneth65
Getting to Know You...

Post by kenneth65 »

Thanks for the info she was informed last august. she still walks but needs a cane and her hands shake, she is taking meds for the shaking but its not working. No other meds besides that. She is so sad she looks down when she talks to me she says she's embarrassed of her condition..
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

kenneth65 wrote:...her hands shake, she is taking meds for the shaking but its not working. No other meds besides that. She is so sad she looks down when she talks to me she says she's embarrassed of her condition..
Ken, every person here who reads your words above understands your girlfriend's feelings. We understand her sadness; we understand how she can feel embarrassed or self-conscious about her condition. Please tell her that she has friends here; I am optimistic and think there will be help soon for all of us. But I do not think there is any medication at the present time that can "fix" us. In the past, I tried three medications (Betaseron, Avonex, and Copaxone); I do not think they helped me at all. At this time I am taking NO MS medications.

I recall this site posted almost a year ago by sep974; it uses the French language; you and your girlfriend may find something useful in this: http://www.sep974.info/

I can't vouch for any information you find there.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

In my opinion these neurological diseases are cause by neurotoxins in our enviroment. If you can find out what is causing it and remove it your girl friend may get better. To name a few of these toxins amalgam (mercury) fillings. Aspartame which is a neurotoxin. Some people have problems with gluten. Think you should look and try different things until you find out what works for your girl friend. Maybe you can relate something that she did different right before MS showed up. Did she change her diet. Did her enviroment change in a way that might give you a clue as to the cause. If you could find a holistic doctor he might be able to determine the problem.

jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

for the shaking: consider magnesium.

1) easy dietary option, analyze current diet for magnesium content, via www.whfoods.com
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nu ... oodsources (basically, work spinach and swiss chard into the diet daily, 3 min boil, drain, serve out 1c. season to taste.

2) another option: epsom salts bath, according to package directions. epsom salts = magnesium sulfate. be sure not to exceed amounts used in package directions.

3) supplement option: find magnesium glycinate powder capsules. ideally ones that deliver 100mg elemental magnesium.

if that sounds useful, i can provide more details. hth
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
kenneth65
Getting to Know You...

Post by kenneth65 »

Hi Thanks all for the great info we talk last night and are thinking about going to see about HSCT procedure. need more information on this procedure great blog link want2bike thank you.
jimmylegs did it work for you the magnesium glycinate powder capsules?

Thanks
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi ken, nutrition fixed everything except a little sensory loss in my hands and feet. other than that, i'm in great shape. 6 yrs ago i could barely walk and i certainly couldn't type the way i am now - used to be one finger, one letter at a time!!
Scat89
Family Member

Post by Scat89 »

kenneth65 wrote:Hi Thanks all for the great info we talk last night and are thinking about going to see about HSCT procedure. need more information on this procedure great blog link want2bike thank you.
jimmylegs did it work for you the magnesium glycinate powder capsules?

Thanks
Hey Kenneth,

Glad you liked George's blog....There's a lot of great information. HSCT seems to be at this time your best bet for stopping progression and potentially improving any damage. I will be looking into this myself a soon as I raise the money...In the states it's not an FDA approved procedure yet so insurance will not cover the expense.

Scat
kenneth65
Getting to Know You...

Post by kenneth65 »

Hi again thanks for the info I'm looking into the Epsom salts and magnesium glycinate powder capsules.
I wanted to ask also what about energy drinks live 5 hour energy is anyone taking anything like that she complaints allot of fatigue.
Ken
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

go for the magnesium first. my 2c. it helps your body transport ATP, the body's 'energy currency' (often referred to collectively as Mg-ATP) to where it's needed. also helps the body utilize the b-vits found in 5 hr energy drinks and other similar products.

Return to “Introductions”