New here and have a question

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here

New here and have a question

Postby DebiW » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:11 am

I have been reading the Introduction posts since I came here yesterday and one thing I have noticed is quite a few mention low Vitamin D - is this common with MS? My allergist did blood work that showed my Vitamin D level was 12 (which is apparently very low from the reaction I received from my doctors). I am on 2000 units a day of Vitamin D 3 now.
DebiW

Advertisement

Re: New here and have a question

Postby NHE » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:28 am

Welcome to ThisIsMS. I don't know exactly how common low vitamin D3 levels are in MS. However, there have been a couple of studies that have shown a correlation between low levels and relapse frequency, i.e., the lower the level, the greater the relapse frequency. You should be able to find the studies we've discussed by using the forum's search function or you could try searching PubMed as well.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby DebiW » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:47 am

Thank you!
DebiW

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:21 am

studies have shown that ms risk increases the lower your d3 level. and vice versa. it's the thin end of a significant nutritional wedge when it comes to ms. welcome to TiMS, debi!
READ ME key info on nutrient targets - www.thisisms.com/ftopict-2489.html
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby DebiW » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:21 pm

jimmylegs wrote:studies have shown that ms risk increases the lower your d3 level. and vice versa. it's the thin end of a significant nutritional wedge when it comes to ms. welcome to TiMS, debi!

Thanks Jimmylegs! As I said in my other post, still waiting on MRI/MRA results - long story but I was told I had MS 20 yrs ago then told no I didn't then yes I did then no so I got mad and decided that it would become an absolute eventually IF that's what it was. I have been having some problems so am now seeing a neurologist who ordered the tests - now just waiting
DebiW

Return to Introductions