Hello all,glad to find this forum,
I'm a 25 yrs old male diagnosed with optic neuritis of mild severity 2 weeks ago. I was immediately kept in the hospital, in the neuroophtalmology department (wrong department if you ask me,I think straight neurology would have been better),and received a medrol treatment (3days of infusion,3 of injections,and the remaining in pills).
I had an eeg scan done which came back slightly uneven, and was promised further MRI to try to find the underlying cause. Since the economic situation in my country is in chaos,I was told yesterday,after two weeks of hospitalisation, that the MRI was finally dropped (I guess I'm not urgent enough),the doctors said that they cured my eye problem (which they did,for now),and that as far as they are concerned the case is closed.
I am aware from reading online that ON is almost always a sign of a bigger neurological problem,most often MS, and the eeg points to a bigger issue.
So here are my questions:
I will,of course,do an MRI privately. In this regard I want to know if there is a difference between doing it immediately vs. waiting for a couple of weeks? It is,unfortunately,a money issue. Could the lesions,if there are any,go into remission due to corticosteroids and thus not show on an MRI and mess up the results if I wait for 2-3 weeks?
Is the eeg scan even a regular part of an MS diagnosis procedure? They didn't do that one on all the patients with ON here even though we share more or less the same symptoms.
Finally, regarding my ON, it seems to me that already the first two infusions restored the sight in my damaged eye to some 95% of its previous state,and that it is now standing there. I see almost perfectly,but can't seem to cross that final threshold into full recovery. Should I consider this to be as good of an improvement as possible or can I hold a little hope for full vision return?
Thanks to anyone who reads this mess I've written,and double thanks to anyone who responds.