Diagnosis MS

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
87goofy

Diagnosis MS

Post by 87goofy »

Hi I am new to this but have been diagnosed with MS for a year. My diagnosis was made as a complete surprise, I went to ER with a really bad headache and numbness in my left arm. Lumbar puncture and MRI later, guess what I have MS!! Taking Avonex for the last 6 months and a follow up MRI showed no deterioration so I am happy, minimal problems except fatigue and slowing of mobility but then that cold be ageing....... I am just pleased not to be badly affected and thankful that I am able to continue to work full time. Does anyone else out there have minimal problems yet still have MS?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Diagnosis MS

Post by NHE »

87goofy wrote:Taking Avonex for the last 6 months and a follow up MRI showed no deterioration so I am happy, minimal problems except fatigue and slowing of mobility but then that cold be ageing...
Fatigue is also a side effect of Avonex.

http://www.avonex.com/pdfs/guides/Avone ... mation.pdf
amberfer
Family Member

Post by amberfer »

I feel like I've been blessed with minor symptoms. I went to the ER because I woke up and couldn't walk...but ever since then I can walk short distances without a cane. Long distances I need a wheelchair, but I still feel like my symptoms are minor compared to what they could be - no cognitive problems, eye problems, and it's just hips and below for me, so I can still type just fine! I do definitely have fatigue, but I'm blessed to not have to work, so I can get in my two naps a day! I take Gilenya for my MS which is giving me more headaches than I had before taking it, but it seems a small price to pay, to stave off future worse symptoms!

So glad your symptoms are minimal - what a wonderful way to look at it! Sometimes I do feel mad...but usually I am so thankful, and people probably think I'm just trying to "put a good face on" but it really is how I feel (most of the time!)
87goofy

Post by 87goofy »

Good to hear a positive response......I work full time and am the breadwinner so it is great that I have minimal problems, Just hoping nothing gets any worse. and it is a New year coming up so I am thinking it will be a good one.
Trevvian
Getting to Know You...

Post by Trevvian »

Yep, I was diagnosed out of the blue in July and, aside from obnoxious symptoms & fatigue, my life hasn't changed much. My neuro fully approved my 4 step plan to manage (in the short term, as we all know things can change)
1. Take a DMD & do annual checkups. Very personal decision, I wouldn't presume to make a recommendation to anyone else.
2. Focus on overall wellness through diet & exercise.
3. Revamp my finances to better plan for the future. I hope for the best but am planning to be unemployed in 15 years.
4. Ignore, as much as I can, that I have MS!

My nuero & GP both said there's no point focusing on the MS until it demands it. So I'm still living the same life, I'm just poorer. ;)