No mri lesions..ms?

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
sarahg

No mri lesions..ms?

Post by sarahg »

No mri lesions..ms?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:57 am

Hi..I am neg lyme and lupus with many MS symptoms. Buzzing sensation left leg, black hole in vision, burning sensation left neck and back, foggy headed, feel bruised on left arm but no bruising. Neuro said non contrast brain mri was clean so it cannot be MS. Can I have cognitive issues if there are lesions on spine and not brain? He did not seem to think further testing is necessary but did not have any diagnosis either. Ps..During first symptoms I also felt like I was walking on a boat and sensations felt different In left hand...Overall the symptoms have been for 5 months now.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: No mri lesions..ms?

Post by lyndacarol »

sarahg wrote:No mri lesions..ms?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:57 am

Hi..I am neg lyme and lupus with many MS symptoms. Buzzing sensation left leg, black hole in vision, burning sensation left neck and back, foggy headed, feel bruised on left arm but no bruising. Neuro said non contrast brain mri was clean so it cannot be MS. Can I have cognitive issues if there are lesions on spine and not brain? He did not seem to think further testing is necessary but did not have any diagnosis either. Ps..During first symptoms I also felt like I was walking on a boat and sensations felt different In left hand...Overall the symptoms have been for 5 months now.
Hi and welcome again to ThisIsMS, sarahg.

In your first post, you mentioned:
The first dr told me it was probably hormonal since it all started 3 months after giving birth. Second dr is the one that said no ms due to clear brain mri..He won't give me other tests just sent me packing.
First, you may not have MS at all, but there is always a possibility; it is an exclusionary diagnosis - made by ruling out other possibilities; there is no definitive test for MS. (My first 3 MRIs were "normal." My first neurologist told me that I definitely did not have MS. The "experts" and their tests can be wrong.) BTW, lesions can result from many different conditions.

You have identified definite symptoms; you need a "disease detective;" if your neuro is unwilling to investigate and test further, I would suggest that you need someone else. If you are able to work with the first doctor (a GP, or internist), return to him with a written timeline/list of symptoms to discuss; consider starting with suggestions from the University of Chicago:

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... #bloodtest

Classically, numbness/tingling/pain in the extremities (arms/hands and legs) is called peripheral neuropathy. I think your buzzing sensation (paresthesia, an unusual sensation) would apply as well.
Blood tests

Blood tests are commonly employed to check for vitamin deficiencies, toxic elements and evidence of an abnormal immune response.

Depending on your individual situation, your doctor may request certain laboratory tests to identify potentially treatable causes for neuropathy. These include tests for:

Vitamin B12 and folate levels
Thyroid, liver and kidney functions
Vasculitis evaluation
Oral glucose tolerance test (IMO, a "fasting blood insulin test" should also be conducted – this is NOT a glucose test.)
Antibodies to nerve components (e.g., anti-MAG antibody)
Antibodies related to celiac disease (Neurological symptoms including brain fog, are common in atypical CD.)
Lyme disease (Your test was negative.)
HIV/AIDS
Hepatitis C and B

As I share my following ideas, remember that I have no medical background: Since you mentioned that problems began 3 months after giving birth, I suspect that your pancreas did not return to normal insulin (which is a hormone) production after your pregnancy. I believe it secreted excess insulin, and may continue to do so today. It is fact that a pregnant woman increases insulin production to put weight on the developing fetus. A fasting blood insulin test would reveal if your levels are back to the optimal 3 UU/ML or lower.

Diet can also trigger increased insulin levels – whole wheat bread and artificial sweeteners can do this more than common table sugar!

All the best to you.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
ashleycanada

Post by ashleycanada »

Hey There,

My MRI was not definitive for MS either, based on a scan only of my head they told me I did not have MS. But my doctors persisted for answers (despite me having no sustained symptoms, I only had a brief episode of buzzing in my legs that went away)..

I had a follow-up MRI where they examined my whole spine (not just my head like the first one) and they did a spinal lumbar puncture to collect a sample of my fluid. It was in this secondary MRI they could detect a subtle narrowing of my myelin sheath in my spine & the fluid showed something (can't remember) but that's what lead to my diagnosis. When they reviewed my MRI head scan they still could not see anything that would indicate MS so there you go, it's not just about the head scan.

Don't let your doctor get in your way in your search for answers. You may not have MS (hopefully!) but if you are living with bizarre symptoms its your right to get to the bottom of it. I suggest finding another doctor that's willing to help you find answers. Lifestyle is key to reducing or eliminating symptoms altogether - no sugar, no wheat, no dairy. Lots of organic fruits, vegetables & meat are my regimen + daily exercise.

Best wishes and if you do get diagnosed with MS don't let it feel like a life sentence of bizarre symptoms. There are so many people living symptom free because of good self care and you can be one of them too.

Much love to you on your journey to find answers and solutions.

Ashley
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Doctors get it wrong all the time. The important thing to understand diet is the key to healing. I like the video of Dr. Bergman explaining how to address all autoimmune diseases. Give it a try because you have nothing to lose.