Hello world

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
TeresaAnn

Hello world

Post by TeresaAnn »

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis when I was 18 and it took me nearly 8 years to realize that I don’t need to be suffering alone. I started a blog to help me start to voice my frustrations and mental hardships about this disease. Little did I know, more people could relate than I could imagine. The blog is only just starting, but I have had people I haven’t spoken to in years reach out to me. Not because they could relate to the disease, but because they could relate to the depression and anxiety that comes along with it. I love that it is getting people to open up and talk about their own mental insecurities and struggles. It would be great if you could join me.

http://butyoulookok.blogspot.com
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Re: Hello world

Post by Jimpsull »

I can really relate to your not wanting MS to be "your thing." I feel the same way. I was diagnosed in 2003 and mostly ignored it until 2011 when it started to impact me more (couldn't figure out why I was playing so bad in a tennis match, tried to blame my shoes, legs still seemed like they were made of cement when I went barefoot).

It hasn't occurred to me that keeping it a secret might be unhealthy, though it may be. I've been less and less guarded about it (someone at work even knows) and I've found the reduced secrecy to be liberating.

I do encourage you to look into the research of Dr Roy Swank - I wish I had earlier on. In addition to arresting the progression of MS, diet and exercise can make us healthier all around.

Anyway - best wishes. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Jim
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Hello world

Post by ElliotB »

"depression and anxiety that comes along with it"

This is not the case for everyone. And this does not have to be the case for you. There are so many options available to you to effectively prevent/control depression and anxiety.