I'm a newbie

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
girleygirl555

I'm a newbie

Post by girleygirl555 »

Hello I'm new to this site.
I was DX July 2014, with RRRM MS, My question is my Neuro just said yesterday that it's not 100% I have MS because my last MRI didn't show any changes.
I've been taking Tecfidera since being DX. I've read where this medicine can help with getting no new lesions.
I'm really upset that if I don't have it why did she put me on all these drugs?
I have a MRI scheduled, also Evoked Potential, and blood work.
Has any one else had this problem?
Thanks so much :-D
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: I'm a newbie

Post by ElliotB »

You are upset that you may not have MS? I would be celebrating!
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Hello girleygirl555,

The Disease Modifying Treatments are to hopefully DECREASE the amount of lesions, there is no guarantee that it will do that or stop new lesions from appearing. In fact there are absolutely no guarantees with anything about this disease, treated with current medications or not.

There has never been any testing that can give a 100% guarantee of MS. A strict adherence to the McDonald Criteria, testing, ruling out other possible causes for symptoms, and medical history is how this disease is diagnosed. Although Relapsing/Remitting MS is the most common type of MS a diagnosis of "type" usually takes time to see how the disease process acts.

Your Neurologist is questioning your diagnosis because there are no changes on your MRI. Multiple Sclerosis MRIs usually show changes, more or less lesions regardless if you are taking a MS treatment or not. No changes could possibly mean it's not MS but only time will tell.

If you end up getting undiagnosed be thankful.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote:You are upset that you may not have MS? I would be celebrating!
No, I believe she is upset because she has been taking potentially toxic drugs even without a firm diagnosis of MS. Frankly, I would be upset as well.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

girleygirl555

What symptoms did you have at the time of your diagnosis as well as just prior and what do you have now?

Return to “Introductions”