'but my results are normal'. typical panels don't test all
deficits occur in 'normal' range
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Re: Hello

Postby Zyklon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Dentist experience with MS

Diagnosis: 5 tooth decay, 2 wisdom tooth removal, gum treatment.

Doc said they could not do tooth filling because my gum was in terrible condition. He even warned me that bad gum health could trigger a relapse. I had 2 sessions of gum treatment and 1 tooth filling. I am not going to tell the details because it simply sucks. Local anesthesia and the treatments did not increase my symptoms. I said I did not want to use antibiotics. Since the treatment continues he checks for infection signs all the time. Daily 4 times tooth brushing with ultra soft brush, 2 times special mouth wash and 2 times special paste for gum.

Wisdom tooth removal after I improve my dental health because of infection risk. I think he perfectly knows how I am sensitive to infections and takes care of it.

In short: Bad dental health can trigger a relapse with an infection. Go to your dentist, don't give that chance to MS.

After dental treatment finishes in 7 days, I will do my regular tests. Psychiatrist tomorrow. Take care ;)
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
Zyklon
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 am

ouch! improving status for antibacterial and antiviral nutrients won't hurt. zinc and selenium leap first to mind.

i was looking for something more general re zinc's antibacterial and antiviral activity, but this was pretty on the nose so:

Zinc: A precious trace element for oral health care?
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ze ... 5391ce.pdf

Zinc and immune function: the biological basis of altered resistance to infection.
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/68/2/447S.short

recall also, re zinc and MS in particular (April 2017 study):
natural-approach-f27/topic28972.html#p247341

Dietary Selenium in Adjuvant Therapy of Viral and Bacterial Infections
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4288282/
A balanced and sufficient supply of macro- and micronutrients is important to support host immune defense and resistance against pathogens. The habitual diet is often not sufficient to meet the increased demands for micronutrients in infectious diseases. Dietary multimicronutrient supplements containing selenium up to 200 μg/d have potential as safe, inexpensive, and widely available adjuvant therapy in viral infections (e.g., HIV, IAV) as well as in coinfections by HIV and M. tuberculosis to support the chemotherapy and/or to improve fitness and quality of life of the patients (Table 1). Because many of these patients experience broad nutritional deficiencies, multimicronutrient supplementation appears to be a more promising approach than the use of selenium alone. Dietary supplementation with selenium-containing multimicronutrients might also be useful to improve supportive care and to strengthen the immune system of patients suffering from newly emerging viral diseases, such as in the current epidemic of Ebola fever in West Africa. Populations in several countries most afflicted by past and current outbreaks of Ebola fever (e.g., Liberia, Guinea, Democratic Republic of Congo) exhibit a high risk of selenium deficiency, and strikingly, the lowest dietary selenium supply in Africa was reported from Liberia, with a daily intake of only 23 μg Se (15).

you may already be getting se via 2 brazil nuts per day - i don't remember if we've been over that. hope that helps!
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Zyklon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am

Selenium is one of the reasons that I take a multivitamin. 3 days of Solgar VM75 gives me 75 mcg selenium weekly. 4 days of Solgar Advanved Antioxidant gives me another 100 mcg. I feel like my regimen is quite good for macro and micro nutrients.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
Zyklon
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:26 pm

multis are good for health maintenance. sometimes longer term deficits and chronic illness states suggest a more therapeutic intake at least in the short term. the upper limit for selenium is 400 mcg per day.

one contribution to the serum target picture:
Serum selenium is low in newly diagnosed Graves’ disease: a population-based study
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12185/full
“S-Se [serum selenium] was lower in patients with GD than in controls (mean(SD), GD:89.9 μg/l (18.4); controls:98.8 μg/l (19.7), P < 0.01).”
odd sx? no dx? check w/ dietitian
DRI=MINIMUM eg bit.ly/1vgQclQ
99% don't meet these. meds/lifestyle can affect levels
status can be low in ms & other cond'ns
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Previous

Return to Introductions