Hi! I am new here.

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
gretchen1

Hi! I am new here.

Post by gretchen1 »

Hey everyone. I have just spent 2 hours reading and reading posts here. This is a cool place. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. I have had 3 flares in that time and lots of persistent symptoms; chronic vertigo, numbness and spasticity in my left leg, poor visual tracking, some bladder and bowel problems, poor balance, and word recall difficulties. For the most part, my symptoms are mild and I have adapted pretty well. I am 44 years old, married and a mom to two sons. I am a 5th grade teacher at a public school. I am currently being reevaluated for a med change. My neuro is not convinced that the copaxone is doing anything for me. I just had my MRI of brain, c-spin, and t-spine. I will be going to the neuro with results. I don't have those results yet.

I am glad to be among those who know what it is like to have this disease. I hate even trying to explain what I experience to those who don't get it. Don't you just love that blank expression - blink blink
lol

Love and prayers,
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: Hi! I am new here.

Post by Lyon »

Welcome to the site gretchen1!!

I don't have MS, but my wife was diagnosed a year and a half ago at age 46.

You're doing the right thing in educating yourself and forming your own opinions regarding this disease. I'm convinced you will find that advantageous during the course of the next few years.

Bob
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

Welcome Gretchen,

Your bag of symptoms is also mine; almost to a T. My neuro. thinks the bladder and bowel stuff is caused by all my spinal lesions. I have one question for you. What do you do for your chronic vertigo? Mine is getting so bad I actually force feed myself at meal times to keep from wasting. I'd love to hear another helpful hint on vertigo (besides Antivert, which I've already tried). To date, the only succesful remedy for my vertigo is to exercise strenuously. I have a foot injury that has me unable to jog right now, so I'd love any feedback you could give on vertigo until my foot heals.

Once again, welcome!

Lew aka Loobie
gretchen1

Post by gretchen1 »

Thanks Bob and Loobie for your kind welcomes.

Loobie, I don't have any answers for you. I too have used antivert and when I combine it with just a bit of valium it does help a little. But you do have to deal with the drowsiness then lol. I just suck it up and spin. I am pretty okay with it but I am really bothered by crowds and people moving unpredictably. I just hate that and have to hang on to a steady elbow to help me negotiate. My husband and I created the "beer rating scale" to monitor my vertigo. He was trying to understand what I was feeling. I told him on a good day I was a 1-2. Like when you have just a couple of beers and all you need to do is pay attention to where you are going. I have been as bad as a 9+ when I can only wall walk and even going to the bathroom is a ten minute adventure in balance. Luckily that has only happened a couple of times and both during flares.

I too have a spinal lesion that the Dr thinks is the reason for the bowel and bladder problems.

I don't have near the balance to run. I use an eliptical because I can hold on. It does help me to excercise.

Good to talk to you all.

Love and prayers,
g

Return to “Introductions”