Hello from Germany

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here

Hello from Germany

Postby RedSonja » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:17 am

Hello, here is Sally in Germany. I have had MS for 3 years now, I can still walk on 2 legs so I can't complain.
I am a Brit, I live in S. Germany near Lake Constance, I work as a Software Engineer. I have an understanding husband and 2 teenagers, also 3 clarinets and 2 saxophones.
I look forward to interesting topics here...
RedSonja
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby TwistedHelix » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:52 am

Hello Sally, and welcome to the group. We Brits get everywhere, don't we? A bit like house dust only more irritating and harder to get rid of, (all right, I admit it – maybe that's just me). Sounds like a very musical household: do you play, and has your MS got in the way of it? I was never taught music officially, but I used to spend a lot of time composing music on a synthesiser connected to a sequencer, and I really miss it.
Dom
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Postby RedSonja » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:14 pm

Hi, nice to get a reply. Yes, the Brits are all over the place, fortunately I can pass for German these days, at least until I start talking. (Since I am from Yorkshire, my accent sounds like Dutch, they tell me.)
Music; the only problem I have with MS - the only one that bothers me - is with the clarinet. I play in a local brass band, and when it gets tricky my left hand can lose interest. That's why I got the bass clarinet, slower notes. To make up for this it has a sound so deep I cannot describe it without breaking the forum guidelines. I also play in an amateur jazz band, and sing too, ah, the benefit of an old-fashioned English grammar school education.
We are a musical lot, yes, My kids play clarinet and drums. We could make a jazz band. My husband confines his interest to clapping politely and whistling the tunes. So as not to bother the neighbours I insulated a room in the cellar with egg trays, we can be as noisy as we like.
Why did you give up composing? Is MS a nuisance?

I found this site via my sister - hi Sue - who is also MS-bothered. I wanted to find a new forum because Igeli in Switzerland closed.
RedSonja
Family Elder

Postby TwistedHelix » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:22 am

I'm not sure if " nuisance" is how I'd describe my MS symptoms… Let's just say that if my MS is a nuisance, then Adolf Hitler was just a little bit naughty, :wink:
Dom
TwistedHelix
Family Elder

Postby RedSonja » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 am

Sorry to hear that. I almost feel guilty when I look at the MS-websites, because most of the time I am fine.
Two years ago I spent some time in hospital being investigated for cancer (negative, I am glad to say), and in this time I got to know people who were very ill indeed or dying painfully of cancer. Since then my definition of nuisance has changed a bit. And then I have this English thing about understatement.

I was dx with MS while doing my motorboke driving licence at 48 years old. I passed the test by sheer doggedness, but decided a motorbike is not for me, because my left foot doesn't always work. So I got a 125 cc scooter (is it called that in the US?) which has an automatic gearbox. Driving to work is fun again. But people with "real" motorbikes laugh at me. Sigh.
Bibo ergo sum
RedSonja
Family Elder

Return to Introductions