Hi Ya'll

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
vivster

Hi Ya'll

Post by vivster »

I am currentilly in hospital. I found your site researching Tysabri. My doctor is talking about putting me on it. This is a great site. You will have to excue my typing as I am on so many drugs to deal with the pain that I am stoned out of my mind. Not a good feeling.
Could any one tell me how to deal with the pain with you being on all these brain drugs. I know that they can't get rid of all the pain, but how do those with pain deal with this level of it.
Blessings
viv
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

Hello vivster, I wanted to welcome you to our community and wish you a speedy recovery. There are many knowledgeable people on our site who can help with your question regarding pain.
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

Hi, Vivster!

I'm SO sorry to hear about your ordeals right now!

Pain..........ok..........I'm intimately aware of what you are referring to. I'm in constant pain, but you'd never know. And half the time, neither do I. The meds can only take care of so much of it, huh? A woman who I met at my son's basketball game talked to me about pain the other night. She, also, is in constant pain, but somehow seems to just "ignore" it and carry on.

Anyway, the only thing I can say is it might be something like "biofeedback" or something. I ran across a good website that basically explains what biofeedback is and how it is used clinically. http://www.psychotherapy.com/bio.html

Anyway, what I did was to sort of train myself to gradually adjust to certain levels of pain. There is now a pain threshold for me, I've noticed. But it is fairly high. Any pain I feel under that threshold, I simply "ignore". If the average pain-free person were to experience the pain I experience daily and don't believe is bad at all now, they would probably take to their bed.

Read up on biofeedback techniques. Ask the doctors if they can help you with learning it and using it. You never know, it might help enormously.

The first thing I'd personally recommend is do NOT concentrate on it. Do your best to train yourself to think of other things or become focused on something else.........an activity you enjoy, reading (if you get engrossed while reading), things like that. When you find yourself "thinking" about the pain, force yourself to concentrate on something else. I know it sounds pretty stupid, but believe me, it helps.

Keep us posted on your condition!!

Deb
vivster

Post by vivster »

Think you Oddduck. I have notised that I have begun to adapt to the pain. The last time I went though this (4 years ago) I used music and meditation to conbat it. But I can't meditate all the time. I will give bio-feed back a try. I am starting to come back, and my phyical therapy is going well. They are predicting 10 more days and I will be out of the hospital. I can't wait. I miss my cat.
Thanks
viv
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

That's great news, viv!!

I can't imagine being away from my animals for very long. I left my cat for a couple days over Christmas, and I think I had a worse problem doing that than SHE did! I don't think she missed me at all! :( :wink:

Deb

Return to “Introductions”