Does LDN help relieve numbness?

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
msue

Does LDN help relieve numbness?

Post by msue »

I am going through my 3rd very bad relapse since being diagnosed with MS two years ago. I have had the usual steroid treatments, but they are not working in getting rid of the numbness I am experiencing all over my body right now.

I have read so many promising posts on LDN that I want to try it. Has it helped anyone here with numbness? Numbness seems to be my #1 MS symptom. Right now it is throughout my feet, legs, arms, hands, and even my middle. I so need a miracle right now!

I’d appreciate any info,
msue
Xenova
Family Member

Post by Xenova »

It is said that LDN's main purpose is to slow MS progression. Any relief from MS symptoms is just an extra benefit. Many people report various improvements in their symptoms but the extent of the relief varies from person to person.

That being said, my experience has been that it has helped with numbness but has not totally alleviated it. Right now, my toes are numb but they are not as numb as they were before the LDN. My most pronounced area of numbness was in my legs. This numbness has almost totally gone away except when I am fatigued, over-heated, and under the weather. When I am feeling good, I do not even notice the numbness. Even when it does appear, it is not quite as bothersome as it was before LDN

Of course, this is my testimony and I can't say it represents everyone's experience. Nor does it account for other factors such as being in remission or other medicines that I am taking.

You should consider my reason for taking LDN after a year and a half of debating. I finally came to the conclusion that there was no harm in trying it. The side effects are minimal, the cost is inexpensive, and I knew I could quit at any time if I felt it was not effective.
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Hi!

I haven't tried LDN, but I personally think alpha lipoic acid does wonders for my MS numbness. I'm taking 600 mg 2 x day, which is a dose that was well tolerated in a Phase I trial for MS.

Sorry about the bad relapses. :(

Sharon
msue

Post by msue »

Thank you for your replies. Sounds like it can't hurt to try LDN.

Shayk - Where can you buy alpha lipoic acid? Are there any articles on its use for MS?
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

There's an article on alpha lipoic acid (ALA) in the April news articles on this site. (I tried to paste the link in but my lack of technological skills prevented that :lol: )

Researchers at the Oregon Health Sciences University also reported on it at the spring ANA meeting. I don't know if those findings have actually been published yet but I understand they are planning a Phase II trial using ALA for MS.

ALA is over the counter in drug stores, usually in 100 or 300 mg doses.
A detailed article about it's properties in general can be found at:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/o ... index.html

You'll see from that article that it has been used in the treatment of diabetes. If you decide to try it I sure hope it works for you. :)

Sharon
Xenova
Family Member

Post by Xenova »

Along with LDN, I also take ALA and acetyl l-carnitine. That's what I referred to when I said other medicines.
Janice
Getting to Know You...

Post by Janice »

Xenova--what amounts do you take of these supplements? And did you try LDN alone at first? I'm just about to start taking LDN and I also suffer from numbness.
Xenova
Family Member

Post by Xenova »

1200 mg ACL and 600 mg ALA per day. I did the supplements alone for 2 months and stopped. Then, I started LDN alone. Now, I am doing both.

When I did the supplements alone, I did notice an increase in energy and less numbness. I noticed the biggest change when I started LDN. I would say that LDN is more effective so I wouldn't hesitate trying it alone.

Return to “Low Dose Naltrexone”