FIRST TRIAL OF LDN FOR MS

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
SammyJo
Family Elder

FIRST TRIAL OF LDN FOR MS

Post by SammyJo »

An English translation of an LDN trial protocol is available at the Evers Multiple Sclerosis Clinic in Germany http://www.klinik-dr-evers.de

This should encourage other researchers to proceed as well, and it will make it easier for patients seeking LDN prescriptions, now that a trial has launched.

The protocol calls for a very short duration trial (10 days). Dr. Mir indicates this is an initial pilot study, to be followed by longer term studies.

SammyJo
http://LDNers.org
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

very exciting news!

I have *no* idea why in the world they chose 10 days as the trial duration--- it seems like an awful lot of expense an overhead to go through for less than two weeks of treatment. The cynic in me does worry that 10 days will show nothing conclusive and the headline will read "LDN not helpful for MS" with a sentence buried deep in the text that will say "the trial was short in duration and further studies might be warranted to see if extended dosing has a positive effect."

But we'll take it for now! Good job LDN team!
SammyJo
Family Elder

Post by SammyJo »

I was surprised by the short duration too, but I am cautiously optimistic, based on the conversations I've had with the doc leading the trial. I think the short pilot trial might be some sort of requirement they face for establishing tolerability/safety. The important thing is that now those seaking scripts can say "There's a trail" which should apease some docs. And hopefully encourage others to get going on research too.
SammyJo