LDN' primary usage?

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Lars
Family Elder

LDN' primary usage?

Post by Lars »

Well, My Dr. doesn't really have a problem prescribing LDN but the problem is finding it. After calling all our local Pharma's we could find nothing but standard Naltrexone dosages of 25 and 50 mg. Which led my Dr. to wonder why(?). What was the original target of LDN, who makes it and so on. I do have the # in New York to order but would love to know the answer to my Dr. questions.
Thanks,
Lars
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Lars search for Naloxon or Naltrexone, LDN is compounded through pharmacies from pure naltrexone powder and is use primary as opiod antagonist.
For more info have a look at various LDN web sites say www.ldners.org, www.ldnresearchtrust.com etc
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: LDN' primary usage?

Post by CureOrBust »

Lars wrote:Well, My Dr. doesn't really have a problem prescribing LDN but the problem is finding it. After calling all our local Pharma's we could find nothing but standard Naltrexone dosages of 25 and 50 mg.
You will not be able to get it from a standard pharmacy. It only comes from compounding pharmacies in the LDN dosage. They often buy the full dose tablets, grind em up, and place the appropriate amounts in capsules. Some other compounding pharmacies get the Naltrexone as a pure powder. Either way, its compounded specifically.
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Cure, DIM
So in other words there are no Pharmaceutical companies producing LDN commercially? There should be but I'm guessing that until clinical trials provide a broad market, it is what it is. Thanks for the explanation/s
Lars
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Lars - that is correct - LDN can only be obtained from a compounding pharmacy. Someone could get the 50 mg tablets of Naltrexone from a regular pharmacy and then make their own LDN - which I believe some MSr's on this site have done.
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

There is a place called Skips pharmacy in FL who does mail order for LDN and has a ton of experience with it if you don't find someone local.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Lars don't use 50mg tablets in order to make your own caps, they contain lactose as filler and all MSers (if not all people) have food intolerance to lactose, Skip's pharmacy uses avicel as filler but there are many pharmacies around some of them use achidophillus filler which is the best in my opinion.
We buy it from Skip's although it's quite difficult every 5-6 months for us here in Greece.
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Thanks All,
I do have all the appropriate #'s to mail/phone order thanks to the MSRC in England. They send out a really informative pack of info. Skip's as well as other are on the list. They also cover the "filler" issue. Last question to those of you taking it, is it helping? My big issues have always been pain, fatigue and spasticity, in that order. I can't imagine LDN could hurt.
Thanks Again,
Lars
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Lars -

I forgot you are in Durango CO - so here is some local information

I get my LDN from the Belmar Pharmacy in Lakewood CO - they have free shipping. They use the avicel filler. PM me if you want the telephone # and address. Also, my prescribing doctor, Dr. Terry Grossman, is in Lakewood-Golden - he will do a phone consult with you. Dr. Grossman was a featured speaker at the 2007 LDN conference.

I have been on LDN since May of 2008 - pain has never been a issue with me, so I cannot speak to that; but, muscle fatigue - the LDN has helped. Spasticity - some MS'rs have to reduce the prescription strength down from 4.5 mg. It is just something you have to figure out for yourself.

Sharon
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Thanks Sharon,
If I can't get this worked out locally I'll let you know. I would really like to create a MD avenue for LDN in Durango as many of our local group members are interested. You would think we were out in the sticks here and many in our MS community visit Neuro's in Denver and Grand Junction, mine is in the Springs. Oh wait, we are out in the sticks........ but we like it that way.
Thoughts from no Neuro Land,
Lars
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

DIM wrote:and all MSers (if not all people) have food intolerance to lactose.
That's a BIG call. Have you got any references to a research article on this? I actually avoid milk products as far as I practical can, but every test I have ever had done, that could of suggested lactose intolerance, has came out negative.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

I have intolerance to lactose Cure (actually to cows milk not lactose) and my wife too, we both grow up with milk products and is probably the reason for this.
No I haven't a research for this but people usualy have intolerances to foods that eat daily, say milk, bread, coffee etc
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Lars -
Oh wait, we are out in the sticks........ but we like it that way.
---oh, but what beauty those sticks are in!! You live in one of the most beautiful parts of Colorado. :!:

Sharon
Lars
Family Elder

Post by Lars »

Update on the nutty LDN road: My GP seemed interested and willing to prescribe LDN but as it turns out she wants to consult my Neuro. So I called my Neuro who I knew would balk to begin with. Her answer; NO, the science makes no sense and people have gotten cancer. Really, I am starting to think I know much more about drug research than any licenced Doc. I have met on this journey. I continue my frustration with medical professionals in spades!
I would think part of being in the field of Neurology would be to investigate all viable treatments, not just the one sponsored by huge money Pharma's.
Lars
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Lars -

Tell your neuro you want to see the data that LDN causes cancer.

My neuro knows that I am taking LDN and he is from the Rocky Mtn MS Center. He did not prescribe, but he would have told me if he thought it caused cancer!