More WalkAide info needed

Discuss physical medical devices that can be used to treat or improve MS symptoms
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

More WalkAide info needed

Post by newlywed4ever »

I am currently doing a "test-run" on a WalkAide and have it for only 2 weeks. My leg seems to want to swing out rather than the foot pulling up - would this be a sensor location that needs to be played with? Has anyone got info on insurance paying for this devise? Would I be better off to wait a few months to see if it becomes covered by insurance? Would love to hear your stories!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I know that one forum member, Chrishasms, has experience with the WalkAid. You could try sending him a PM or perhaps you can reach him through the contact information via his website http://www.chrishasms.com. Note that he is currently recovering from treatment with Revimmune so it might take him a little while to get back to you.

NHE
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Teresa - I just sent you a PM.

In answer to this question - the stimulus should pull the foot up, but it will also pull the foot out (you feel like the ankle is being pulled in toward your other foot and the toe to the outside) This is okay - The placement of the electrodes is IMPORTANT! Go back to the technician and get an adjustment if you are not satisfied.

Sharon
fbjljs

Post by fbjljs »

I have a Walk Aide and have been using it for a while now. I've learned that the pad placements are critical. The pad towards the front of the leg (actually just lateral to the front of the leg) is the red eletroded pad that creates the foot eversion (makes the toes point outward or lateral) whereas the black electroded pad should be placed toward the back of the leg (almost behind the knee and lateral) creates the foot dorsiflexion (picks the foot up, toes up). When the pads are placed incorrectly, the stimulus has to be set higher in order to elicit these responses. When it is set too high, you feel an irritating pins and needles stimulus that can create either hives or blisters. When the pads are placed correctly, you don't feel the stimulus as pins and needles but only as a vibratory buzz with the settings much lower in order to accomplish the same effect for the foot and ankle. This is important information to consider and discuss with the technician working with you with the Walk Aide. Good Luck! Dr. Frank Brindisi (D.C.) :lol:
peej

Post by peej »

This information was so important and helpful I thought it deserved a bump up the line - in fact maybe it's own thread.

Thank you!
Peej

fbjljs wrote:I have a Walk Aide and have been using it for a while now. I've learned that the pad placements are critical. The pad towards the front of the leg (actually just lateral to the front of the leg) is the red eletroded pad that creates the foot eversion (makes the toes point outward or lateral) whereas the black electroded pad should be placed toward the back of the leg (almost behind the knee and lateral) creates the foot dorsiflexion (picks the foot up, toes up). When the pads are placed incorrectly, the stimulus has to be set higher in order to elicit these responses. When it is set too high, you feel an irritating pins and needles stimulus that can create either hives or blisters. When the pads are placed correctly, you don't feel the stimulus as pins and needles but only as a vibratory buzz with the settings much lower in order to accomplish the same effect for the foot and ankle. This is important information to consider and discuss with the technician working with you with the Walk Aide. Good Luck! Dr. Frank Brindisi (D.C.) :lol: