I just received my "Ossur Foot-Up" foot orthosis. This is a pretty simple but ingenious device.
It costs about $100 and it helps with my drop foot problem. I think it works as well as the custom made $800 AFO I've had for several years
There are two u-tube videos made by a woman who uses one on each foot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sOV46RRiUhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JleyM7a1rTQ
It shows her walking with and without the Foot-up. It makes a big difference for her.
My old AFO holds my foot perpendicular to the lower leg, which keeps the foot from dropping, but doesn't actually lift the foot. The Ossur Foot-up has an elastic strap which lifts the foot. (tips it up)
I've only had it for a few day but here is my assessment so far:
1) It works. When I walk without it, my left foot drags. My steps sound like this; Step slide, step slide. With the Foot-up it's just step, step, step.
2) It's very inexpensive compared to custom made AFOs or any of the electric muscle stimulators.
3) No electric shocks and no batteries.
4) You don't need a prescription to buy it.
5) It is very light weight and comfortable, although it irritates my ankle if I wear it all day.
1) It may not be durable. The lady in the video said the ankle wrap lasts about 4-6 months, and the insert lasts about 1-2 months. The inserts currently cost about $25.
2) It doesn't lift as much as I'd like.
3) It is difficult to attach the strap to the ankle wrap if you adjust it for maximum lift. For people who have weak hands that could be a problem.
4) You must wear it with shoes that lace all the way down like jogging shoes. (There is now a shoeless wrap available but I haven't tried it so I can't say anything about it)
It's available online at several sources. The best price I've found is about $90. here: http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc ... -14p19.htm
I can't say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread but it definitely helps me. It's worth a try if you can afford to part with a hundred bucks.
Disclosure: I'm not affiliated in any way with the makers or sellers of this device and I received no compensation for this article.