Walkaide users

Discuss physical medical devices that can be used to treat or improve MS symptoms
chrishasms
Family Elder

Walkaide users

Post by chrishasms »

How many of us are there?
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Chris, add me to your list.

Sharon
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Is that it? lol
Lazarus
Getting to Know You...

I bought mine a month ago...

Post by Lazarus »

The Hanger people called my private insurance plan and came back announcing my plan would cover it 100% and my husband's would cover it 80%.

Turnsout that was a trick by Hanger. They had only asked our insurance companies about coverage for Durable medical Equipment.Wish they didn't do that. I was going to buy it anyway by that point.

So, my insurance sort of rejected it but it is now a "pending" situation on appeal so there is hope for reimbursement.

Anyway-pretty neat, isn't it?
Linda
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Oh hell ya!! See Hanger is thinking!

How is your experience with the device going?
Lazarus
Getting to Know You...

I like my Walkaide

Post by Lazarus »

I am a farmer and also have 2 big greenhouses. This is crunch time as farmers' markets start in just a few weeks.

My point is that i am walking on very bumpy ground (this is a working farm in New England and nothing is simple, wide or paved! Still, the Walkaide has helped me navigate.

Sometimes it gets quite uncomfortable and my foot feels lke it is twisted. We did realign the electrodes but I have taken to slightly shifting its position on my leg periodically and it works pain free again. The point is it always works...always lifts my leg.

I know you will suggest slippage but that's not the case. It could simply be that it will take months for my muscular leg to readjust.

Anyway, the change in my life has been dramatic. We really had not expected that i would be handling as much as I have.

I must also say that 2 weeks ago I had a full dose of Novantrone which also significantly helps my legs.

This morning i'm dealing with vertigo but that's another topic.
Linda
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

It surprises me more people do not use the Walkaide especially when insurances are covering them now.

Be prepared, the better you get at walking the more you will need to re-time. It's a great thing though because the Hanger techs are not used to seeing people getting better!
peej

Newbie here - just tried WalkAide at Hanger facility

Post by peej »

I signed on to respond to you directly because I have been lurking, reading all your posts on WalkAide. I really appreciate all the information you have shared. Are you a rep for the device?

I am tending toward selection of the WalkAide because I'm a sandals (or barefootin) girl at heart and I like the idea of no heel pad requirement.

BUT, I'd really appreciate some feedback from you if I share my own pros/cons list regarding WalkAide vs BioNess:

Pros:
Walkaide is one piece only, Bioness is 3 parts
Walkaide will let me wear sandals or even go barefoot
Walkaid uses regular, less expensive batteries (but how long do they last)?
Walkaide is about 1,000 - 2,000 cheaper.

Cons:
Walkaid isn't as "every step" effective because of the programming vs. physical heel device issue.
Walkaid won't really help as much with side movements and uneven surfaces as Bioness.
It appears that Bioness adjusts for changes in pace automatically - without trips for reprogramming - so one could warm-up walk and speed walk, even jog for a bit then walk home to cool down. (Yes?/No? - see below)

Question:
Did you see the Today show segment on the Bioness device that showed the woman jogging? I don't think WalkAide will do that.
Link:
http://www.bioness.com/NESS_L300_for_Fo ... egment.php

Now I'm off to play with my profile setup.

Peej
Fall down seven times, get up eight. -Japanese Proverb
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Hi peej -

It is great that you have taken the time to evaluate both units. I do not know if I can add too much more to my previous posts in reference to the WalkAide. I chose the WA because it was one unit and because you could wear it with sandals. You can walk barefoot, but it is not as smoothe or easy. The program unit works really well with any shoe that has the same "net" sole height from back to front that was used when the unit was programmed. So, for example you would not be able to wear a pair of high heels unless the shoe had a thick sole under the ball of the foot. I find that I can deviate about 1" from the "net" sole height of my tennis shoes. Therefore, when walking barefoot I have a little bit of a problem with the stimulus. I do it, but only around the house.

Running, I have not tried with the WA - that does not indicate you cannot do it. In fact my technician had someone who did jog with his WA.

My suggestion is to try jogging, go barefoot, take a couple pairs of your shoes when you go to try each of the units.

Good Luck
Sharon
adventuremom

Post by adventuremom »

Hello!
This is my first time making a post so I hope I'm doing this right. :)

I tried the WalkAide in a Hanger office over a year ago. I would like to try it again. I am currently three weeks into the $500 one month trial for the Bioness. I'm leaning towards getting it but my insurance doesn't cover it. It will cost $6,200. I can get $1,000 from HAMS (Harleys Against MS) distributed through Georgia MS Society. And I have friends who want to do a fundraiser to help me buy it. My son, after watching that morning show segment, even said he would donate his Christmas money.

After reading all the posts about the WA I'm thinking I should try it again. I forgot there wasn't a shoe sensor & receiver. And of course I like that it's cheaper. I have to admit, the shallow side of me likes the way the Bioness looks more than the WA.

What I really like about the Bioness is that I can adjust the intensity. Typically I have it set on number 5. If I'm feeling a little strong I will put it on 4. If I'm feeling week or needing an extra lift (stairs, hills, etc) I might put it on 6 or even 7. Can you do that with the WA too?

Also, I like that there is a gait mode for walking and an exercise mode. I'm up to half an hour a day of doing it in exercise mode and I feel like that helps a lot. Does the WA have an exercise mode?

Recap on Questions:
1. Can the intensity be adjusted in the WA?
2. Is there an exercise mode with the WA?

Thank you!
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Yes and yes

The intensity is adjustable and there is an exercise mode in the WA.

Personally, I would compare how both of them work going up and down stairs.

Sharon
adventuremom

Post by adventuremom »

Interesting. Okay, I will have to try the WA again before making this decision.

Thanks for the reply.
Rampion

Post by Rampion »

Chris,

Sorry I'm so late...but add me to your list. I got mine Sept 08 and am happy with it...I would be even happier if it could help my sense of balance! :)

I wish I would have gotten it sooner when I was more mobile. I still think its been worth it. It helps me lift my left leg cutting down on fatigue and allowing me to still get around my house, even if its with a walker.

I have a question for those of you who have one. My velcro is fried, the section that covers the wires won't stay, its currently being held down with duct tape. I have tried washing it by hand, never in the machine. Has anyone else run into this and how was it fixed? I am having issues with the duct tape....it shouldn't be necessary for something that was $5,000!!??
Lazarus
Getting to Know You...

electrodes

Post by Lazarus »

I'm a farmer and sometimes I think the farm would fall apart without duct tape!

I have a different problem which is a big one..
My walkaide was great. Kept me walking and able to stand/move for 8 hour Saturdays at my Farmers' Market.

But, my skin reacted to one of the electrodes. I kept wearing it only on Saturdays because it made life possible. The skin break down was not healing from week to week so I have not worn it for 10 weeks.

I called. Got larger electrodes as someone suggested. But they are a blue gelatinous electrode that sticks to my fingers when I put them on the cuff--sticks to my leg when I try to take the cuff off. Bits of it are broken off and I can not understand why it is not the same as the original electrodes.

Anyone have any information?
Thanks.

Linda
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Get a hold of someone with Hanger Orthopedics or Waslaide themselves. They can either sew new velcro on or you can just order a whole new cuff.