Cannabis

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
LauraB

Cannabis

Post by LauraB »

I was wondering..does anyone think smoking cannabis can actually make your MS worse?

I used to smoke sometimes as a teenager, but then I was diagnosed with R-R MS and I smoked once after starting Avonex and it made my old MS symptoms feel terrible until I slept off the "high".

I didn't smoke for years and years (which wasn't easy as so many of my friends do) but have such bad problems sleeping that sometimes I will. Recently, my MS has flared up again after 8 years of no new activity.. Just wondering if this could be caused by the marijuana "exciting" my CNS by smoking cannabis this past year?

So many people used to tell me smoking weed helped their MS..but now, from experience, I think I should avoid it.. It is known to weaken the immune system and cause depression..which perhaps both could be reasons for my MS flaring up again..?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Cannabis

Post by NHE »

Burning carbohydrates (e.g. cellulose) produces acrolein which is also known as vinyl aldehyde. It's a small, highly reactive and toxic molecule which induces oxidative stress and also cross links DNA with covalent bonds (i.e. causes DNA damage). I imagine that smoking pot would be no exception. Here's a paper which discusses acrolein and provides some ideas on avoiding exposure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... ool=pubmed

You may also be interested in the brain imaging work of Dr. Daniel Amen that shows decreased blood flow to the brain and reduced brain activity associated with cannabis use and other drugs.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... ml#p159163

NHE
shaight
Family Elder

Post by shaight »

LauraB wrote:I was wondering..does anyone think smoking cannabis can actually make your MS worse?
I don't think it will make your 'MS' worse, but maybe it will make you feel worse. If it provides some relief then i would do it. If it doesn't, then i wouldn't.

I personally don't worry about it. I smoke an incredibly small amount of it on occasion, like one puff, and it makes me feel better. I think moderation is key with anything such as this...i.e. alcohol. You can read study after study on subjects like this and come out with more questions than answers.
Slumby
Family Member

Post by Slumby »

I use a mini vaporizer by the company Vapir.
Add a little Indica, plug in, set your temp and
inhale without using plastic bags like with other
vapor machines. I have yet to try the included
Pouch of lavender buds.

Vapor is much more gentle than smoke.
In these machines, the material is cooked rather than burned.

There are many methods for medicating:
Tincture, edibles like cookies, brownies, lotion...

Indica, and cannabis in general, is a muscle relaxant,
And can be a very strong MR--use with caution.

I believe that Indica is the relaxing (possibly energizing!)
type and Sativa is the psychoactive kind.

Now hopefully I don't get arrested.
Laura

Secondary progressive
14mg aubagio
Edss = 8
Check out my blog!
Laura5myMSstories.blogspot.com
Slumby
Family Member

Post by Slumby »

LauraB wrote:I was wondering..does anyone think smoking cannabis can actually make your MS worse?

I used to smoke sometimes as a teenager, but then I was diagnosed with R-R MS and I smoked once after starting Avonex and it made my old MS symptoms feel terrible until I slept off the "high".

I didn't smoke for years and years (which wasn't easy as so many of my friends do) but have such bad problems sleeping that sometimes I will. Recently, my MS has flared up again after 8 years of no new activity.. Just wondering if this could be caused by the marijuana "exciting" my CNS by smoking cannabis this past year?

So many people used to tell me smoking weed helped their MS..but now, from experience, I think I should avoid it.. It is known to weaken the immune system and cause depression..which perhaps both could be reasons for my MS flaring up again..?
Hi, Laura.
Listen to your body, by all means.
sounds to me like you had way too much.
I will tell you it might cause depression if done too often.

Cannabis temporaily increases heart rate and
Therefore possibly improve circulation temporarily.

It can destroy your short-term memory.

It is not physically addictive, but
may be psychologically addictive.

For spasticity, it brings relief.
Laura

Secondary progressive
14mg aubagio
Edss = 8
Check out my blog!
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Hi,

I just posted something about cannabis use here,

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 19974.html

Please understand that simply smoking some random cannabis will give nothing but random results, so many different types of cannabis produce different types of effects; some can cause elevated heart rate or bad anxiety while others can be very therapeutic, relaxing or even euphoric.

It is a very viable option to treat MS symptoms but you really need to make a lot of effort to understand the many aspects of cannabis and especially have an understanding of the material you may choose to try; it can be the difference between being very helpful or turning you off it for life and thinking it is no help.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

My neuro is asked by the MJ grower specifically what his patient is dealing with so they can select a specific strain for him (me). I've tried Sativex to no avail so I will try vaporizer next.

PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
lovebug
Family Elder

Post by lovebug »

Have any of you tried Cesamet (Nabilone) ? It is available in pill form and is cannabis based.
sumerianharp

Post by sumerianharp »

I now know for sure that marijuana makes my symptoms worse. In fact the very first time I had any symptom which was before I was diagnosed was when I tried marijuana. My husband smokes a lot and I have noticed when I go visit some relatives and stay away for a couple of weeks I feel better.
I hope that this is studied seriously, because pro marijuana people would instantly rule any bad side effect of marijuana and those who are against it would blame it for crazy stuff. I just hope a scientific study will really study the connection between marijuana and MS.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

sumerianharp wrote:I now know for sure that marijuana makes my symptoms worse. In fact the very first time I had any symptom which was before I was diagnosed was when I tried marijuana. My husband smokes a lot and I have noticed when I go visit some relatives and stay away for a couple of weeks I feel better.
I hope that this is studied seriously, because pro marijuana people would instantly rule any bad side effect of marijuana and those who are against it would blame it for crazy stuff. I just hope a scientific study will really study the connection between marijuana and MS.
It could be due to the acrolein in the smoke, it's a highly reactive oxidizing agent. See the links in my prior post in this thread.
Slumby
Family Member

Post by Slumby »

Here I am a year later.
My ms is much worse since april of 2012.
But that I blame on moving to a humid city
And quitting my ms drug (betaseron) abruptly
When i moved.
I now wonder if cannabis makes my ms worse as
I had a big flare (untreated!) in '09 after returning
Home from an unhealthy (read: lots of smoking,
not much eating) 4-month visit to the city I would
Eventually move to.

Anyway.
It is said to be neuroprotective.
Indica strains have the good stuff, CBDs.
Smoke is NOT good to breathe...I hope you are
Doing better these days.
Laura

Secondary progressive
14mg aubagio
Edss = 8
Check out my blog!
LauraB

Post by LauraB »

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to give a quick update as I haven't posted since 2012 when I had my last flare up (knock on wood).
I had come off of my MS medication (Avonex) for A few weeks prior to my flare up so I definitely think that had something to do with it; however, my doctors beg to differ as they say the medication was still in my system. Just funny that I didn't have an attack after 8 years of being on Avonex and the 3 weeks I came off of it I suddenly have one in my spinal cord which effects my legs and walking (I have since fully recovered- thank my lucky stars!!!! When going through a flare up it feels to me as though there is no recovery in sight).
Anyway, I had also been doing a lot of hot yoga and not eating enough because I'd been dieting for my trip to Mexico. I feel as though whatever will make a "regular" person ill (not eating well, too much heat) is going to make a person with MS extra ill. I am extra sensitive to lack of sleep, lack of neutrients etc. it seems.
I have since gone back on Avonex (obviously) and started to do hot yoga again (just not twice a day like before). I stupidly did become a chronic pot head again and it almost ruined my life. In fact, I am still recovering from the damage it has done to me. I smoked a lot, every day. And finally ended up very sick with a cold for two months (which made me smoke even more as I was stuck at home bored) and eventually I became so depressed I started having massive anxiety attacks (high or not). The funny thing is that I didn't feel depressed at all. I wasn't sad, I realized how great my life was/ is, but I was having obsessive thoughts. Not about anything specific but just like when a song gets stuck in your head, I'd go around in circles OBSESSING over things, it was so bad I couldn't leave my house and almost couldn't board my plane home when coming home from a trip.
Again, I wasn't thinking negative thoughts, it was just like an itch and I felt like I was going absolutely crazy. It was probably the worst thing I've ever had happen to me, worse than being diagnosed with MS. It consumed me and I felt like I was going insane. Terrifying to say the very least.
Thank god I finally accepted 3 doctors advice (I was too anxious to accept the 1st and the 2nd) and went on Paxil for generalized anxiety & trazadone to sleep (I was a full blown insomniac by this point). I quit smoking weed and got my life sorted out. Thank god as I am getting married this summer and have my whole life ahead of me. I know now how bad the side effects of being a chronic can be, and don't get me wrong, I will now have a puff of a joint once in a blue moon and enjoy a giggle for old times sake, but too much of something (good or bad) is never good.
I am blessed to have a stable form of MS and I hope to never become that consumed with something again. I still need to come off the trazadone and Paxil but am happy to say I am on the minimal doze possible.
Weed made me lazy and being lazy made me depressed/ anxious. I want to have a strong mind and body so that I can fight this illness to the best of my ability. Should I have an attack, I need to mentally an physically strong to not let it have such an impact on my life.
jocieS

Post by jocieS »

Hi there,
I use medical cannabis for my pain. Though I use a high CBD strain as to still be able to function.
I hope you get back to your best self quickly!
DenverCO
Family Elder

Post by DenverCO »

I am having incredibly noticible spasticity relief from the transdermal patches by Mary's Medicinals. There are no psychotropic effects and no grogginess.
I used to enjoy getting high when I was younger but since being diagnosed 16 yrs ago, every time I've smoked or ingested marijuana it has made my spasticity worse to the point of cramping. In addition I become extremely paranoid. Growers and other people in the marijuana industry (it has been legal in CO for several years) have told me that my side effects are due to the high THC that has been bred into popular strains. Fortunately now that people are realizing the medical benefits of higher CBD strains, there are more therapeutic options for those of us who don't want the high and other side effects associated with popular high THC strains.

Return to “Medical Marijuana”