Cannabis extracts mitigate muscle stiffness in MS patients

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
MSUK
Family Elder

Cannabis extracts mitigate muscle stiffness in MS patients

Post by MSUK »

The oral administration of cannabis extracts significantly reduces muscle stiffness in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), according to just published clinical trial data published in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry.

Investigators at the University of Plymouth, Clinical Neurology Research Group, in the United Kingdom assessed the use of cannabinoids versus placebo in 279 subjects with MS over a twelve-week period. Cannabis extracts in the study contained standardized doses of THC and cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychoactive constituent in cannabis, contained in a soft, gelatin capsule.

Investigators reported that oral cannabis extracts were “superior” over placebo in the treatment of MS-associated muscle stiffness and pain.

Authors concluded: “Treatment with standardised oral extract of cannabis sativa relieved muscle stiffness. The proportion of participants experiencing relief was almost twice as large in the cannabis extract group as in the placebo group. … Effective pain relief is also achieved by cannabis extracts, especially in patients with a high baseline pain score. Our findings suggest that standardised cannabis extracts can be clinically useful in treating the highly complex phenomenon of spasticity in MS.”... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1815
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Cannabis extracts mitigate muscle stiffness in MS patien

Post by HarryZ »

I believe there have been a number of studies done on the benefits of medical MJ, especially when it comes to treating some symptoms for MS. But the real problem is getting the heads of politicians out of the sand to recognize this and allow MJ to be used like any other RX drug.

But like any political process, it moves very slowly.
Cammie
Family Member

Re: Cannabis extracts mitigate muscle stiffness in MS patien

Post by Cammie »

My state has legalized medical MJ. It is the cognition trouble that is holding me back. Many people do not have cognive problems with MS or with using MJ,and I am happy that they can use this route. I wish the whole U.S. would legally recognize Medical MJ that nobody has to become a criminal just for treating their disease.