Study: Cannabis alleviates muscle pain in MS

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
MSUK
Family Elder

Study: Cannabis alleviates muscle pain in MS

Post by MSUK »

Where numerous other treatments have failed to safely relieve stiffness in patients with multiple sclerosis, cannabis extract proved twice as effective as a placebo. It also helped with pain, spasms, and sleep.

PROBLEM: Muscle stiffness, often painful, affects up to 90 percent of patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), yet no reliable treatment has been found. Drugs that have undergone clinical trials have been proven to be either ineffective or, in the case of baclofen, to further weaken those with the disease. This phase-III trial considers the clinical effectiveness of cannabis, already turned to as an alternative treatment by patients....Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1815
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Re: Study: Cannabis alleviates muscle pain in MS

Post by PointsNorth »

Hi Squiff,

I've been taking a slow-release magnesium for spasticity with some success but I'm needing something more so I started taking a cannabis spray (Sativex). I've not found it to be especially helpful so I will explore getting marijuana and a vaporizer to see if that works. I'd be interested to find out how that works. I'm sure others could weigh-in here. Between spasticity and balance issues, my mobility is suffering.

Thx, PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Study: Cannabis alleviates muscle pain in MS

Post by HarryZ »

PointsNorth wrote:Hi Squiff,

I've been taking a slow-release magnesium for spasticity with some success but I'm needing something more so I started taking a cannabis spray (Sativex). I've not found it to be especially helpful so I will explore getting marijuana and a vaporizer to see if that works. I'd be interested to find out how that works. I'm sure others could weigh-in here. Between spasticity and balance issues, my mobility is suffering.

Thx, PN
My wife (passed away 2005) used Sativex for her bad spasms and it worked just fine. Was able to stop taking it after a few months and spasms fortunately did not come back. It was a bit pricey.

She had the opportunity to also try medical MJ but didn't since the Sativex worked. At the pain clinic here in London, Canada, the neuro did trials on MJ and told us that it indeed did work. Some patients smoked it but those who didn't want to smoke were able to mix it into their food. Although the effects took longer via the food route, it worked as well.

Not sure about using a vaporizer since I have not heard about that usage. Only concern I have at this point is that if Sativex didn't work for you, I'm not sure that MJ will either. Best of luck.

Harry