Could Cannabis based drugs inhibit the development of MS?

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
MSUK
Family Elder

Could Cannabis based drugs inhibit the development of MS?

Post by MSUK »

Therapeutic Potential of a Novel Cannabinoid Agent CB52 in the Mouse Model ofExperimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis.

Abstract

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a demyelinating disease which causes inflammation, demyelination, and axonal injury. Currently, there is no cure for the disease. The endocannabinoid system has recently emerged as a promising therapeutic target for MS....... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/cannabisresearch
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Could Cannabis based drugs inhibit the development of MS

Post by HarryZ »

squiffy2 wrote:Therapeutic Potential of a Novel Cannabinoid Agent CB52 in the Mouse Model ofExperimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis.

Abstract

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a demyelinating disease which causes inflammation, demyelination, and axonal injury. Currently, there is no cure for the disease. The endocannabinoid system has recently emerged as a promising therapeutic target for MS....... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/cannabisresearch
Science usually wins when it comes to battles with politics but in the case of using MJ for medical purposes (MS) it has been a long, slow process. It seems every month they are discovering more and more benefits with MJ with use on MS patients but it's going to take a lot more convincing and research to get the approvals needed, especially in the US.

Harry
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Thanks for posting info, very interesting. I have found that the capsules/edibles absolutely,positively help. They annihilate all spasms (in my case). I had severe leg and knee pain, not when I take my med's(capsule). They are doing something that improves my balance and overall strength. I hope others try mmj and post their results, you will be amazed.
Tif
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

Using primary cultures of mature oligodendrocytes, we tested the effect of a novel synthetic cannabinoid CB-52 on oligodendrocyte toxicity induced by peroxynitrite, the primary toxic species released by microglia. ... Using experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), an animal model of MS, we found that CB-52 reduces microglia activation, nitrotyrosine formation, T cell infiltration, oligodendrocyte toxicity, myelin loss and axonal damage in the mouse spinal cord white matter and alleviates the clinical scores when given either before or after disease onset.
Of course! A synthetic cannabinoid -- big pharma can patent this 'novel' cannabinoid and charge patients $60,000/year as opposed to the use of free, natural cannabinoids of which there are hundreds, many of which haven't been investigated yet and sadly, probably won't be investigated.

Of course! EAE again. And again and again and again...