Marijuana compound may stop MS inflammation

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
MSUK
Family Elder

Marijuana compound may stop MS inflammation

Post by MSUK »

Multiple sclerosis is an inflammatory disease in which the immune system attacks the nervous system. The result can be a wide range of debilitating motor, physical and mental problems. No one knows why people get the disease or how to treat it.

In a new study published in the Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, Ewa Kozela, Ana Juknat, Neta Rimmerman and Zvi Vogel of Tel Aviv Univ.'s Dr. Miriam and Sheldon G. Adelson Center for the Biology of Addictive Diseases and Sackler Faculty of Medicine demonstrate that some chemical compounds found in marijuana can help treat MS-like diseases in mice by preventing inflammation in the brain and spinal cord........ Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/cannabisresearch
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
Loriyas
Family Elder

Re: Marijuana compound may stop MS inflammation

Post by Loriyas »

This looks promising
Yodi
Getting to Know You...

Post by Yodi »

'MS-like diseases in mice' - a bit vague, isn't it ?
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

I don't care so much about the 'MS-like diseases in mice'. The following is what I found to be significant: "researchers concluded that the presence of CBD or THC restrains the immune cells from triggering the production of inflammatory molecules and limits the molecules' ability to reach and damage the brain and spinal cord."

To me that says that there could be a reduction of inflammation. And I believe that is the important finding.
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Hi,
There's a lot of good info in there. But when I got to the part about the National MS of the U.S. (see below), it really pissed me off. They need to get their head's out of their backside's. I have been taking the mmj capsules and they have had huge benefits! Also, perhaps if the researchers tried larger doses than 25 mil (see study fr original post), they would have seen even more impressive results. I certainly see them every single day. It really bothers me that there are so many people suffering needlessly, mmj works!!!

"...clinical trial data published in the Journal of the Canadian Medical Association reported that cannabis inhalation significantly mitigates spasticity and pain in patients with treatment-resistant multiple sclerosis.

Separate clinical trials assessing the administration of oral cannabis extracts on patients with MS have indicated that cannabinoids can alleviate symptoms of the disease long-term and may also act in ways to mitigate MS progression. Sativex, an oral spray containing plant cannabis extracts, is presently legal by prescription to treat MS-related symptoms in over a dozen countries, including Canada, Germany, Great Britain, New Zealand, and Spain. Nonetheless, the National MS Society of the United States shares little enthusiasm for cannabis as a potential treatment for multiple sclerosis, stating, “Studies completed thus far have not provided convincing evidence that marijuana or its derivatives provide substantiated benefits for symptoms of MS.”"
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Tif, what benefits have you seen using mmj?
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Hi Loriyas,
Those painful spasms are gone. I had them in my legs, back and pain in my knees. Not when I have a capsule or edible. The first time my caregiver gave me a mmj capsule, I went from dragging my left leg to actually walking! No shi* :-) I stopped, looked down and did it again, yep I was walking:-) now, for all of you, who have issues walking, can you imagine? I was so happy. If I go off my capsules or when out of my system, I'm back to dragging my leg and pain returns.

For several years, my ability to balance on one foot has escaped me, we're talking 0 seconds. Recently, after having an edible, I had a friend time how long I could balance. 7.8 seconds is what I did:-) Personally, I thought that was pretty good.

It's helped with depression. I have Zoloft prescribed, but take it on rare occasion now. Before, I could tell when I had missed a pill.

I go from not being able to make a fist, to making a very tight, controlled fist.

I have an overall improvement in my strength.

I am having awesome results!

Others, with eye pressure issues, are having huge benefits. Pressure goes down to not needing surgery. Another lady could not roll over, her husband had to do this for her, after starting the capsules she had the ability to do it herself.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

onetheless, the National MS Society of the United States shares little enthusiasm for cannabis as a potential treatment for multiple sclerosis, stating, “Studies completed thus far have not provided convincing evidence that marijuana or its derivatives provide substantiated benefits for symptoms of MS.”"[/i]
That's all a MJ research group would have to do is line the pocket$ of the M$ Society and their line of thinking would change very quickly.

Harry
Deadheadgrateful

Post by Deadheadgrateful »

But not in ND!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Deadheadgrateful wrote:But not in ND!
MJ is a drug like other drugs. But unfortunately it carries a stigma with it that prevents some from realizing this. Scientific studies have been carried out on MJ for many years and several benefits have been discovered. But like any other drug there have been pros and cons.