Study may explain beneficial effects of marijuana on MS

Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.
MSUK
Family Elder

Study may explain beneficial effects of marijuana on MS

Post by MSUK »

Study may explain beneficial effects of marijuana on people with multiple sclerosis

Researchers in Spain have conducted a landmark study to shed light on how marijuana reduces the activity of motor neurons that lead to symptoms such as muscle weakness in people with MS.

Researchers at the University of Cadiz, led by Professor Bernardo Moreno, used synthetic analogues of the psychoactive compounds of marijuana to see how they affected motor neurons........... Read More - http://www.ms-uk.org/cannabisresearch
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
singleprego
Getting to Know You...

Re: Study may explain beneficial effects of marijuana on MS

Post by singleprego »

I smoked medical marijuana daily for 5 years, with a year break during. I decided to see what life was like without it last July and about a week after is when I experienced ON, which then led to a dx of MS. The Dr. said I could have had MS for the last few yrs. I continued not to smoke for the month in a half while going through the dx process. My legs were vibrating often, tremors in my left hand and arm, and had a pos Lhermitte's sign. I wondered if smoking marijuana again would make those body symptoms go away and improve the vision in my left eye. I am a health professional and a scientist by nature. I started smoking again to see if it would have an effect and yes it made a difference. Could be a coincidence, right? A week ago today I smoked my last up and thought I would quit marijuana again, thought it would allow me more motivation and energy - alleviate the fatigue. For the record, I only smoked after work, when the kids are fed, and household work is done. A night cap if you would? Anyway, I had more stamina at work all week, even took my son to see the E. Bunny Friday evening AFTER working all week, WOW! Then yesterday (Saturday) my left arm and both legs began feeling weak and tremble like before, and I felt fatigued. Today, I feel more drained with the same weaknesses as Saturday. Could it be that the consistent blood level of THC was keeping kept my MS at a low level, its symptoms at bay, even hiding it for years? How interesting eh? I scraped up the tin and smoked this evening. I plan to discuss my new findings with my Neurologist, fore I have mentioned it to him before while I was being diagnosed. Maybe there IS something to cannabinoid use for MS.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

I love this study, essentially pot makes your brain work less (makes you more teh stoopid lol) but it slows down and helps with MS. Brilliant!

Personally, I have been a "pot head" for over 10 years and was diagnosed last year at 25 years old. I had optic neuritis at age 19 as my CIS. I went 5 years until new stuff cropped up leading to my diagnosis one year ago. Now I wonder how different it would have been since my CIS without smoking ?

Also, my MS is pretty "mild" when compared to a lot of people I have talked with or read about. I am still new to it I know, but I wonder if pot has something to do with all of it?

I starting smoking less recently and the last week or so I have been a little more tired and fatigued than usual. I haven't really thought of it being related until reading this thread. Everyone I talk to and tell them I have been tired has asked me what has changed, and I thought I haven't changed anything. But I have been smoking a decent amount less........ hmmmm?
singleprego
Getting to Know You...

Post by singleprego »

I saw the neurologist last Tuesday, since it was my first relapse and all. I started smoking weed again on Monday. Had a J every night. Yesterday I the weakness was worse. Today, 3 days after beginning to smoke again, Im back, almost where I left off. Im really thinking the pot helps.
mct814
Getting to Know You...

Post by mct814 »

I have never tried it for my symptoms, but from all the research done, it seems there is ample evidence to suggest that it does help ms-related symptoms. I'm actually doing my senior paper over medical marijuana, and have learned a lot of useful information about its benefits. I don't think my MS is severe enough to need it quite yet, but it does sound promising!