Not sure if this is the right place for this post

Discuss therapy (group & individual), pet therapy, faith, spirituality, and so on here.
Schoofness

Not sure if this is the right place for this post

Post by Schoofness »

I'm finding that I get really angry really fast over just stupid little stuff, that wouldn't bother me before. It takes me a minute to realize what's happening, and step away and calm down - what is this? Anxiety, another mental issue? I need answers - I have two small children - 1 year and 2 & a half. I don't want to yell at them for something that's going wrong inside of me. I have relapsing, remitting MS and was diagnosed the same week I found out I was pregnant with our 1 year old. Just started taking Copaxone, but that's all I'm on.

Any comments will help. Thank you and if I should post this somewhere else in the forum, please let me know.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Not sure if this is the right place for this post

Post by jimmylegs »

d3 uses up magnesium - low mag can affect irritability.

related research titles:
http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=magn ... _sdt=1%2C5

mag rich foods http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart
dietary target when feeling related symptoms - 600mg/d
serum mag target - 2.3 -2.7 mg/dL (*high* normal; low to mid range isn't good enough)

not all supps are created equal. if you add a supplement choose a form like magnesium glycinate and avoid options like magnesium oxide.
take half daily mag *with* d3, and half at a separate time.

i was taught this timing nuance by a pharmacist and it literally saved my life. i had been taking mag all along with my daily 4000 IU of d3. but not enough, and not properly timed. i thought i was going to die from what turned out to be low mag side effects.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Schoofness

Post by Schoofness »

Wow thank you so much!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

np :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Schoofness wrote:I'm finding that I get really angry really fast over just stupid little stuff, that wouldn't bother me before. It takes me a minute to realize what's happening, and step away and calm down - what is this? Anxiety, another mental issue? I need answers - I have two small children - 1 year and 2 & a half. I don't want to yell at them for something that's going wrong inside of me. I have relapsing, remitting MS and was diagnosed the same week I found out I was pregnant with our 1 year old. Just started taking Copaxone, but that's all I'm on.

Any comments will help. Thank you and if I should post this somewhere else in the forum, please let me know.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Schoofness.

I urge you to read the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses by Sally M. Pacholok, RN, BSN, and Dr. Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O. (This may be available at your library.). These authors suggest that the B12 level should be at 1000 pg/mL or more if a patient presents with neurologic symptoms: http://b12awareness.org/could-it-be-b12 ... diagnoses/

In one case history of a patient with B12 deficiency, before he began therapy JJ reported episodes of unpredictable rage – he could be happy one moment and really mad for no apparent reason in the next moment. A B12 deficiency interferes with the production of serotonin. This could be a possible explanation for your mood swings.

On page 11:
There is much controversy as to what constitutes a normal result for this test [serum vitamin B12 test]. Because of this controversy, this test is often used in conjunction with other markers of B12 deficiency (MMA, Hcy, and more recently the HoloTc).

… We believe that the "normal" serum B12 threshold needs to be raised from 200 pg/mL to at least 450 pg/mL because deficiencies begin to appear in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) below 550 pg/mL.

At this time, we believe normal serum B12 levels should be greater than 550 pg/mL.…
If you are tested, ask for your own copy of the test results and compare them to the recommendations of these authors. Taking B supplements before testing will skew the results.

All the best to you.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i personally think mag depletion secondary to your starting 5000 IU d3 per day is a bit more the logical thing to pursue as a first step.

of course there are a number of other nutrition issues to consider in ms, and b12 is certainly the best known and longest established of those.

related studies:
http://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=en& ... 5&as_sdtp=

links to more general ms nutrition discussion

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/search.ph ... mit=Search
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Schoofness wrote:I'm finding that I get really angry really fast over just stupid little stuff, that wouldn't bother me before. It takes me a minute to realize what's happening, and step away and calm down - what is this? Anxiety, another mental issue? I need answers - I have two small children - 1 year and 2 & a half. I don't want to yell at them for something that's going wrong inside of me. I have relapsing, remitting MS and was diagnosed the same week I found out I was pregnant with our 1 year old. Just started taking Copaxone, but that's all I'm on.

You sure don't wan't to be below a healthy level for B12 or magnesium, or other nutrients for that matter - they are really important and make all the difference.
Based on my personal experience, I can attest to the fact that magnesium can make a huge difference in being calm and not irritated easily.
Magnesium: The most powerful relaxation mineral available...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUWL1o2hSrs
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I experienced the same symptom. It passed in time (about 6 months for me). Be patient. For the time being, it is best to find a way to control your emotions and learn to let things that bother you go...

Return to “Mental & Spiritual Health”