Your spirituality and MS

Discuss therapy (group & individual), pet therapy, faith, spirituality, and so on here.
Becca5766
Getting to Know You...

Your spirituality and MS

Post by Becca5766 »

I know we all have different beliefs on this forum but was wondering if everyone could list off things that helps them cope spiritually/religiously on rough days. I got my official MS diagnosis 11 days ago, im only 23 years old and even though it has been caught early and I'm blessed, I have days where I fear my future and think that I'll die of complications more than likely, and that anyone I pursue a relationship with will eventually leave me because of it being too much. I'm depressed but trying to fight this.

I do yoga but really need something else to help keep me grounded.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Your spirituality and MS

Post by lyndacarol »

Becca5766 wrote:I know we all have different beliefs on this forum but was wondering if everyone could list off things that helps them cope spiritually/religiously on rough days. I got my official MS diagnosis 11 days ago, im only 23 years old and even though it has been caught early and I'm blessed, I have days where I fear my future and think that I'll die of complications more than likely, and that anyone I pursue a relationship with will eventually leave me because of it being too much. I'm depressed but trying to fight this.

I do yoga but really need something else to help keep me grounded.
Since you asked… I believe in God and that he has a Master Plan. I don't know what my part is in that plan, I don't know what my future will be. Maybe we are all here to help each other. My biggest help is prayer – naturally, asking for answers to be revealed; but also asking for courage to face what comes.

Do you know the story of Joni Eareckson Tada (http://www.joniandfriends.org/jonis-corner/jonis-bio/)? A diving accident (in 1967) left her a quadriplegic at age 17. She and her husband Ken have been married since 1982. He may not have known exactly what he was signing up for, but he had to know it wouldn't be easy.

I have friends with MS now, who married in good health – with no inkling of what was to come (This is my story, too). Some husbands cannot deal with the challenge of MS and leave; other healthy spouses see MS as a challenge they face together. You have the advantage of having the MS diagnosis already; a person interested in a relationship with you will know and be willing to accept possible future difficulties. But MS is uncertain; some people have no difficulties over their lifetime – your path may be completely different from your mother's MS; and science may find our answers at any time.

I hope you have found someone – friends, family, minister, even your doctor – to share your thoughts and fears with. Your doctor's first inclination might be to prescribe antidepressants, but she may realize that you are temporarily overwhelmed and simply need encouragement. Perhaps a counselor or psychologist could help with that. We are here for you, but sometimes it is better to have someone can give an actual physical hug.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Your spirituality and MS

Post by ElliotB »

Regardless of your belief, you want to help yourself as much as possible. While there are many that feel that nothing helps, I wholeheartedly disagree. I feel there is so much you can do for yourself.

This story is told in many different ways but the meaning behind it is obvious and hopefully be meaningful/inspirational to you:

http://epistle.us/inspiration/godwillsaveme.html

This verse "God helps those who help themselves!" that we often hear is is not in the Bible, but it is something you can and should live by. Your various posts indicate you are a smart young lady. Keep reading, researching, be disciplined and help yourself as much as possible to feel as good as possible.

Return to “Mental & Spiritual Health”