MS and Your Pets

Discuss therapy (group & individual), pet therapy, faith, spirituality, and so on here.
Anne

MS and Your Pets

Post by Anne »

I have found my pets to be one of my greatest comforts during the ups and downs of MS. Even during deep fatigue, when I can't even listen to the hum of the floor lamp (much less the TV), my little female lovebird curls up on my chest and takes a nap with me. (We're on a reclining chair, so it's safe for her.)

Anyone else find that their pets' empathy makes some symptoms more bearable?
kinch52

Post by kinch52 »

Absolutely!!! I have 3 dogs & since I live alone both my Neuro & GP were concerned about having them in the house due to balance, mobility, etc. I told them both not to even bother bringing the subject up again!

There have been days this last year that I'm not sure I would have gotten out of bed if I didn't have to take care of them. They're great! They listen to me talk (Very sympathetic!), they lick my face when I cry, they make me laugh & put up with me when I'm in a bad mood!

My daughter always said I have more pictures of my dogs than I do her! Well..... there are 3 of them! LOL
May
Getting to Know You...

purring is good medicine

Post by May »

I love cats, always have had one or two around. The furball who lives with me now purrs all the time unless hes eating off my plate or swatting my ankles while I walk from room to room, maybe he's trying to tell me why I was going to that room. Anyway, he is a big comfort.
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

I have a golden/lab mix, 100 lbs of love. Also a very fat siamese cat. They both give me reasons to get moving in the morning. Especially when the cat is howling outside my bedroom door in the morning. Like she's going to starve to death! :lol: During the day, they are my companions and entertainment. My dog chases pesky wabbits and squirrels. :lol: The cat follows me like the dog around the house. They bring me a lot of joy :D
Sherry :mrgreen:
fightingms
Family Member

Post by fightingms »

Hi guys, I have 2 cats. They keep me going on days that I don't think I could crawl out of bed.......for them I do.

Here is a funny for anyone that has ever had to give their cat a pill. It is Hilarious....Now I just put the pill in a little food and Bingo :lol: . but this funny sounded like me a few years back. He HE :wink:

Take care all.........Kim

> HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL
> >
> > 1) Grasp cat firmly in your arms. Cradle its head on your elbow, just as
> > if you were giving baby a bottle. Coo confidently, "That's a nice kitty".
> > Drop pill into its mouth.
> >
> > 2) Retrieve cat from top of lamp and pill from under sofa.
> >
> > 3) Follow same procedure as in 1, but hold cat's front paws down with
> left
> > hand and back paws down with elbow of right arm. Poke pill into its mouth
> > with right forefinger.
> >
> > 4) Retrieve cat from under bed. Get new pill from bottle. Resist
> impulse
> > to get a new cat.
> >
> > 5) Again proceed as in 1, except when you have cat firmly cradled in
> > bottle feeding position, sit down on edge of chair, fold your torso over
> > cat, bring your right hand over your right elbow, open cat's mouth by
> > lifting upper jaw, and pop the pill in -- quickly. Since your head is
> down
> > by your knees, you won't be able to see what you're doing. That's just as
> > well.
> >
> > 6) Leave cat hanging on curtains. Leave pill in your hair.
> >
> > 7) Now pull yourself together. Who's the boss here anyway? Retrieve cat
> > and pill. Assuming the "who's the boss here anyway" attitude, open cat's
> > mouth, take pill and... ooops!
> >
> > 8) Crawl to the linen cupboard. Drag back on large beach towel. Spread
> > towel on floor.
> >
> > 9) Retrieve cat from kitchen counter and pill from plant pot.
> >
> > 10) Spread cat on towel near one end with its head over long edge.
> >
> > 11) Flatten cat's front and back legs over its stomach. Resist impulse
> to
> > flatten the cat.
> >
> > 12) Roll cat in towel. Work fast. Time and tabbies wait for no one.
> >
> > 13) Resume position 1. Rotate your left hand to cat's head. Press its
> > mouth at the jaw hinges like opening the petals of a snapdragon.
> >
> > 14) Drop pill into cat's mouth and poke gently. Voila! It's done.
> >
> > 15) Vacuum up loose fur (cat's) and apply bandages to wounds (yours).
> >
> > 16) Take 2 aspirins. Lie down.
> >
> > 17) Cat walks past, gives you "that" look, and spits out pill while
> > disappearing through the catflap.
VirtuallyFine
Family Member

My Kitties Always Make Me Smile

Post by VirtuallyFine »

My two kitties are the light of my life - their goofy behavior, there sweet faces, soft fur, loving licks, the purring and the snuggling - I wouldn't want life without pets...I can't spoil them enough to repay them for the love and joy they give to me!
seelie
Family Member

Post by seelie »

If purring could fix an exacerbation then I'd be running around the block by now.

Ginger - my kittie - while too small to push my wheelchair - did everything she could to make me better....

And her kittie magic along with all the prayers seem to be helping

=Me
Dawnsmspage
Getting to Know You...

Totally Agree!!

Post by Dawnsmspage »

I have two very spoiled meows....and they have seen me thru so much over the past 7 years with this disease. They are so comforting and seem to always know when Im not feeling well...and SEELIE.....yes about the purring!! There is something so amazing about that sound huh!!!

Dawn :)
Jill
Family Member

Post by Jill »

my cat is my angel in a furcoat. she is very intuitive and seems to sense when i am feeling my worst and never fails to jump on my lap and "comfort" me with her purrs and gentle company. some days that cat keeps me from going over the edge. animals don't run away when the going gets tough, maybe they could teach some of the humans about compassion and unconditional love.
vivster

Post by vivster »

My cat's fur has absorbed a thousand tears. She and I have been through a lot together. She always knows when I am pushing myself to hard and I need a nap. She goes in my bed room and calls me with her kitten call. When I lie down she cuddles up with me and purrs me to sleep.
I think the cat's purr is the most addictive sound know to man. I can't live without it.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

I will crawl on my hands and knees to look after this guy before i would ever give him up.He makes me laugh when it seems impossible..Image
Miss_Feisty
Family Member

Post by Miss_Feisty »

What an awesome thread....I just had to bump it up.

Our furkids are amazing. I have two cats who are spoiled rotten (yes I have issues). We're talking SPOILED....they have their cat house decorated at Christmas time spoiled.

Our pets do know and they are intuitive......I think animals have learned to rely on their intuition more than humans do. Believe me when I tell you the cat would meow at me if it was past my bedtime and snort and give me dirty looks. From a cat?!

One of the cats adopted me as her person. She is the animal that curls up beside me when I'm not feeling well, she keeps my toes warm when they are cold and greets me with an amazing look of contentment when I need a smile. They know. What would we do without them?
stormcat

Post by stormcat »

I got a chocolate Lab puppy soon after I was diagnosed in 2005. He's now a huge 4-year-old weighing in at 90lbs. Although he thinks he's a lap dog. He's my first dog. He's also the furry love of my life, my muse, my source of sanity and my exercise coach. I don't know what I would do without him.

Villagemom

Post by Villagemom »

I have my beagle, Bandit. I would be lost without him. My husband says I love the dog more than him lol. But who else provides 100% unconditional love and support. He is always there for me.

I would show a picture, but I can't figure out how to do it right now lol. Perhaps later.
kirsty23
Family Member

Post by kirsty23 »

I'm so glad I found this thread! :o)
I've wanted a dog for ages n my boyfriend has finally agreed to let me get one :D We'll be pickin her up in 6 weeks...she'll be 8 weeks old!! Jack Russel x Terrier...I'll upload some pics when I get her!! Can't wait!!!

Return to “Mental & Spiritual Health”