Study suggests remarkable approach to MS treatment

A forum to discuss research on the origins of MS and its development.

Study suggests remarkable approach to MS treatment

Postby MSUK » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:02 am

A group of researchers at the Stanford Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences exploring the use of a synthetic bile acid agonist in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis say they have seen some remarkable results...Read more - http://www.ms-uk.org/MSnews
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Study suggests remarkable approach to MS treatment

Postby 1eye » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:10 pm

It's not remarkable when you have a heart attack due to too much cholesterol. I was taking a high load of cholesterol with a pharma-grade whey supplement every day. Read the package before you put stuff in your mouth.

I don't think too many people care about what somebody does to poor EAE-ridden knockout mice anymore. There is a better model of MS, using CSF from pwMS, which can be used on other mammals, and not just mice. Wake up, researchers, and smell the droppings.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
1eye
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:47 am

1eye wrote:I don't think too many people care about what somebody does to poor EAE-ridden knockout mice anymore. There is a better model of MS, using CSF from pwMS, which can be used on other mammals, and not just mice. Wake up, researchers, and smell the droppings.
Do you have any links to research that has shown that the mice with the MS model induced using this technique, respond to treatments more akin to humans than the EAE model? It sounds promising, but its an important piece of the puzzle I have not seen any research for.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby 1eye » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:53 am

We just saw a study that says a proposed mechanism for beta-interferon is the reduction of apoptosis by endothelial cells, along with increased NO production by endothelial cells.

Apoptosis of endothelial cells treated with sera of patients in relapse was decreased by IFN-beta-1b at 10 U/ml, P<0.05. The same dose also led to a significant increase in nitric oxide production. Conclusion: The results suggest that endothelial cells injury and apoptosis may play a role in MS etiology and represents a potential therapeutic mechanism of action for IFN-beta-1b in MS therapy.

Effect of the Sera of Patients with Multiple Sclerosis on Apoptosis and Nitric Oxide Production of Endothelial Cells

Haghjooy Javanmard Sh., Dana N., Saadatnia M., Maghzi A.H., Homa, (2015) Effect of the Sera of Patients with Multiple Sclerosis on Apoptosis and Nitric Oxide Production of Endothelial Cells. Journal of Kerman University of Medical Sciences (6). ISSN 1023-9510

I imagine many therapies have effects which can be traced to their actions on the endothelium. This can be shown using the new mouse model. Lots of room for investigation...
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
1eye
Family Elder

Postby ElliotB » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:06 am

I have read many reports with regards to cholesterol and heart disease and there is not necessarily a link.

In fact, I just read two books by Dr. David Perlemutter where he explains the importance of cholesterol to good health and disease prevention. His books are definitely worth reading!

Here is one interesting article about the hear/cholesterol link myth (there are many on the web):

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscien ... rt-Disease
ElliotB
Family Elder

Postby Scott1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi,

The original topic of this discussion was the Farnesoid X receptor (FXR). The interesting thing about that is it a nuclear receptor that forms a heterodimer with the Retinoid X Receptor, which is the master switch for the thyroid like receptors. While it is also activated by bile acids that interaction with RXR suggests you should aim to activate the RXR which requires 9-cis retinoic acid acid. That, in turn requires Carotenoids from fruits and vegetables, such as carrots, tomatoes, peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, guava and beetroot etc.

To quote from here - http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/25/10/2020.full

"Bile acids are conjugated to taurine or glycine, by sequential actions of the enzymes bile acid coenzyme A (CoA) synthetase (BACS) and the bile acid-CoA amino acid N-acetyltransferase (BAT), to increase their hydrophilicity in a process regulated by FXR."

So we need CoA and its enzymes as well so eat avocado and broccoli and they supply pantothenic acid which is the key element required.

Eat well chaps.

Regards,
Scott1
Family Elder

Return to MS Etiology and Pathogenesis