Gait, walking problem - New

A forum for discussing the unique concerns of senior members of the Multiple Sclerosis "Club."
JoanG

Post by JoanG »

I have had Relapsing / Remitting MS for over 20 years, (diagnosed in 1987) and have managed walking without aids. I have remained active and walk over a mile most days. My neuro doc says that my walking exercise has helped slow the MS progression.

As some background;

I am currently on Copaxone and was a long-time user (13 years) of Betaseron. I had to switch to Copaxone when I found that Betaseron was no longer effective for my symptoms. I stayed off of Betaseron for over a year when I developed Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I received four weeks of radiation therapy on my left leg, which got rid of the tumors on my leg. There has been some thought in the medical community that my long-term use of the Betaseron may have somehow triggered he lymphoma.

My new symptoms:

However, recently when walking I have frightening moments where my legs will just suddenly lock and I start to fall forward, but have been able to catch myself and restart walking.

Can anyone help me with what may be now developing with my MS or do others have or had similar issues with walking and gait like I have experienced?

Thanks

:?:

Joan
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

Dear Joan,
what you are describing sounds like a bit of spasticity. I also have had this disease for many years (over 30) and find that when I get up, my legs want to stretch and get very stiff, making me sway to the side. There are meds for spasms but, until it is more disturbing, I am not sure that I would tolerate the side effects of those meds so I take nothing now. Good luck, Carole
JoanG

Post by JoanG »

carolew wrote:Dear Joan,
what you are describing sounds like a bit of spasticity. I also have had this disease for many years (over 30) and find that when I get up, my legs want to stretch and get very stiff, making me sway to the side. There are meds for spasms but, until it is more disturbing, I am not sure that I would tolerate the side effects of those meds so I take nothing now. Good luck, Carole

I do take baclofen for spasms, that i get before iget out of bed.

but my walking problem . it almost feels like someone is trying to knock me over from my back. it also feels like my legs are going to give out. i don" know if i should wait or see my neuro doc ?
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

in case of doubt, see your neuro... do not rely strictly on the internet. Good luck, Carole
JoanG

Post by JoanG »

I saw my neuro. He prescribed Klonopin for the spacisity.

I also tack Baclofin. I don't know if together they will make me too sleepy.
Nenebird54

Re: Gait, walking problem - New

Post by Nenebird54 »

In June I broke 3 bones in my right foot. Wore a caste for 3 weeks. A boot for 3 more, but still have pain in right foot due to the boot at my ankle. I have noticed that my 20 min walk has been cut to 10 and not i am having that creepy back lock up which forces me to sit down and rest before I can walk. Hope this is an adjustmemnt due to in activity of my foot, but freaking out that this may be my new normal. Crap