" Cyber Pal " Wanted?

A forum for discussing the unique concerns of senior members of the Multiple Sclerosis "Club."
Issy
Getting to Know You...

" Cyber Pal " Wanted?

Post by Issy »

:? Hello MSer's! I am looking for someone to talk with on a regular basis!
I have been submitting posts, but only get a freindly reply back? I'd like to share something more than that? I must sound ridiculous, but I am truly sincere in my quest for freindship! My 14 year old akita and I are very much alone and would welcome a diffferent outlook on our days! I live in a small rural village with 4 neighbours about 10 minutes away (walking distance- which I couldn't do anyway). My family live 3000 miles away and also with M.S., so our connection is limited to the phone. My sister just got a computer, so I imagine we will share life event's, but I would also like to talk to others in similar shoes. ( pets, SPMS, alone, reading, music, humor) Issy :roll:
Last edited by Issy on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: " Cyber Pal " Wanted?

Post by NHE »

Hi Issy,
Issy wrote:I live in a small rural village with 4 neighbours about 10 minutes away (walking distance- which I couldn't do anyway), so I am completely isolated.
Why not invite your neighbors over to your place if you can't get to theirs?

NHE
Issy
Getting to Know You...

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!

Post by Issy »

Hello NHE, unfortunately my neighbors have made it clear that they don't want any obligation to possibly have to help me! I moved here 4 years ago and didn't even use a cane then, so I met my neighbors on their occasional drive bys. 1 little girl put a flyer in my mailbox looking for summer employment walking my dog or garden work, which i took her up on. They have all seen this disease progress from no-aid to struggling with my walker now, and now the only contact I've had with them is a call from the girl (now teenager) looking for a job reference! I've called 2 of them in the past for help but never got an answer even when I leave a message? This new life of disability has opened my eyes to the "reality of humanity". I've always been independant, so asking for any type of help is a huge deal for me, so when I actually do ask and get no response, it is very disheartening!
Last edited by Issy on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Issy-- I do not understand exactly your situation; on the surface, it is very sad. Are there any ways to overcome the isolation? Do you have friends in the nearby village? Is there a church congregation with a women's group willing to reach out to you? Maybe with regular phone calls?

Is there a National MS Society chapter in the next larger town which could offer some support or services useful to you?

As a last resort, is it possible to sell your house and move to a more supportive community?

Although this website community tries to be helpful to its members, this can never replace the physical presence of a person right there with you.
Issy
Getting to Know You...

LINDACAROL,YOUR REPLY IS APPRECIATED!

Post by Issy »

:roll: The only contact with other people I have met here are mostly contractors I have hired to renovate my home. I have stayed in contact with the previous owner of this house mostly because I now have her dog. She sent him to a farm when she sold the home to me and every day when my contractors went outside, this big dog was laying on the porch! The farm lady came and picked him up several times, but finally got fed up with the situation and asked me to keep him! I happily obliged her. There is know m.s. services close by, so I have dealt with the local "community care" group and on their last spring visit, they assessed me and evaluated my health status as "needing to be in assisted living" or "hire weekly services" to help me! I will sell this house after bear passes, so until then, here I stay! I have hired people for every need I have (groceries, pharmacy, snow removal, mail, garbage pick up), so if I pay people, they are dependable!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: THANKS FOR THE REPLY!

Post by NHE »

Issy wrote:Hello NHE, unfortunately my neighbors have made it clear that they don't want any obligation to possibly have to help me! I moved here 4 years ago and didn't even use a cane then, so I met my neighbors on their occasional drive bys. 1 little girl put a flyer in my mailbox looking for summer employment walking my dog or garden work, which i took her up on. They have all seen this disease progress from no-aid to struggling with my walker now, and now the only contact I've had with them is a call from the girl (now teenager) looking for a job reference! I've called 2 of them in the past for help but never got an answer even when I leave a message? This new life of disability has opened my eyes to the "reality of humanity". I've always been independant, so asking for any type of help is a huge deal for me, so when I actually do ask and get no response, it is very disheartening!
Hi Issy,
I was thinking more along the lines of inviting them over for some tea and maybe a game of cards just to talk without any obligations.

NHE
carenncats

Post by carenncats »

Hi,
I would be more than happy to chat with you. Just let me know. I am 48 yrs old married and have a disabling disease. Some say ms but i can not get a diagnosis. I have been living with this for 3 yrs now and i ended up in A wheelchair. I have more bad days than good. I just had another IV steroid treatment so i could walk for the hoildays. Your not alone there are people who can relate to what your going through. If you would like to chat let me know.
Thanks Caren
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

Issy: I've sent you a couple of PMs in the last three days, but they haven't been picked up yet. Can you see if you can retrieve them?