Shingles Vaccine ???

A forum for discussing the unique concerns of senior members of the Multiple Sclerosis "Club."
Shayk
Family Elder

Shingles Vaccine ???

Post by Shayk »

Hi

I hope all of us oldies but goodies are doing well. :smile:

A couple of my friends recently had shingles and I'm wondering if any of you had the shingles vaccine, and, if so, how did it go? My neuro says to go ahead and get one but I've been a little hesitant because it's a live virus (and apparently only 50% effective per my neuro). Your experiences or feedback on the topic are welcome.

Thanks--

Sharon
nellie
Family Elder

Re: Shingles Vaccine ???

Post by nellie »

I had the shingles shot a couple of years ago with no reaction at all. Shingles seem to run in my family & my neuro said it would be fine to get it. It went well.
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Thanks for the info Nellie. I'm thinking I'm going to probably go ahead and get it--just need to get my nerve up a bit more.

Thanks again.

Sharon
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Here's a link to a VERY detailed overview about MS patients and the shingles vaccine and includes suggestions for those who are doing each of the different MS meds. This is the most comprehensive info I've seen. It's from the MSAA (Multiple Sclerosis Association of America) site.

http://www.mymsaa.org/news-msaa/925-shi ... ine-safety

I hope it helps answer most of the questions that come up about this particular vaccine. I always get every vaccine -- especially the yearly flu vaccine -- but I've been hesitant to go for the shingles vaccine.

Good luck!
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Euphonia

Thanks so much for the link to all that info about the shingles vaccine. It is a comprehensive overview and puts it into some perspective. I'm still "considering" it.

Thanks for the "good luck" wishes. If I plunge ahead I'll be sure to let everyone know what happens....

All the best to you too...

Sharon