Retired and unable to enjoy it! Are you driving?

A forum for discussing the unique concerns of senior members of the Multiple Sclerosis "Club."
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Hi Lynda Carol

Glad to see you're reading the book "The MS Solution" I think I'm going to try to get a better thryoid evaluation myself--haven't done it yet though.

I really don't know anything about IGF-1 so can't comment on that other than I'm skeptical of EAE research in general. Lots of cures in mice but not people, who knows, maybe the reverse is true. :wink: I too have some concerns about the NMSS.

I'll have to put "IGF-1" on my list of things to check out.

Hope you're well

Sharon
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Hi to the "Golden" MS'ers,

I haven't posted in this forum for sometime, so I thought I would check in. Sharon (Shayk), when do you get to retire? I retired in June of 2007 and it has made a world of difference in my MS. I was working a very stressful job which was really playing havoc on the MS symptoms. Since retiring, I have been able to spend time on me. My migraine headaches are gone, gone, gone! I still have problems with my left leg, but the WalkAide has helped with it. Other than my foot drop and a weak left leg, I really do not suffer from any other MS symptoms. The cold here in Colorado will remind me to bundle up (cold affects me more than the hot). I visited with a friend and a notable MS neurologist a couple of weeks ago. He was surprised to see that I had done so well (and especially at my age!). I have been taking LDN since May of 2008 - no dramatic, positives - just a very slow realization that I am getting stronger and that I feel great. Thankfully, I am able to do just about anything I want.

I admire all of you who are still working - it's tuff! Some people just don't get it when you are so tired you can't even talk.

Take care to all and wishing you the best health in 2009! :wink:
Sharon (the other Sharon)
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Hi Sharon

Great you checked in. Sounds like things are going great and that the LDN is having a positive impact--even if not dramatic.

Unfortunately, I don't know when I'll be able to retire. That assumes of course that I'm still able to work....and so far, so good. I've often thought that I definitely want to be part of a clinical trial that lets you quit work to see if your MS improved. Sounds like your clinical trial of one had a very good outcome. I am so happy for you. The economy really changed my retirement plans, as I'm sure it has for many.
Some people just don't get it when you are so tired you can't even talk.
I hear you loud and clear on that one. :)

I agree--let's all stay healthy in 2009. :wink:

Sharon (too)
pinda
Family Member

Post by pinda »

Hi everyone. Good to read some messages from the Golden group. I'm not retired but did not work a 9 - 5. I'm an artist, volunteer at the Gallery here doing tours for children and we have an Organic farm we sell from in the summer and fall. My husband is retired and that has been a great help for me. I do wear out and take my 'down days' when needed and he can now pick up the slack for me. Did find the farm work harder this year and looking at what we can grow and cut down the work. Just the two of us doing it with some volunteer help from some customers. Good to be doing the work though. Helps keep me in shape, I need it. Just read how gardening helps the elderly keep healthy, both mental and physical. We are 61 and 62, not elderly :) Happy New Year to everyone, Linda S.
agate
Family Member

Post by agate »

I haven't been here in ages but saw this thread.

No, I don't drive but then I never did.

I was forcibly retired by MS many years ago but kept on doing occasional free-lance work at home if I could find the work and was able to do it. I still do occasional work, mainly because SSDI doesn't pay quite enough to live on, what with out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by Medicare/Medicaid.

Being in control of my own time is a great advantage to being retired or on disability, IMO.
Nenebird54

Re: Retired and unable to enjoy it! Are you driving?

Post by Nenebird54 »

Use provigil and keep driving. I know not to drive when I am too tired, but I don't want to give it up

Return to “MS in the Golden Years”