Bananas and salt

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
Algis
Family Elder

Bananas and salt

Post by Algis »

I really am not sure where this question belongs; diet or natural cures... But well; a natural approach most likely means a diet; at least in my understanding... But to the point:

As I suffered for the last 2 months of "sudden diarrhea" (I would not have any feces for 4~5 days then get a sudden bloat in my intestines and it will urgently flows ... Well, no need to enter the details) probably due to my sit position (w/chair all day) and my diet (I eat only once a day because I get easily fat otherwise).

Therefore I decided to eat a banana afternoon with few salted biscuits waiting for the dinner (always late here for logistics reasons) about 20:00.

Now it seems to get the diarrhea under reasonable control but I feel "pain" like my neck muscles get an inflammation.

Question is: anyone experience this before? Could it be the bananas? Could it be the salted biscuits? Could I add something to help?

Thanks all and sorry for the wording, but a cat still a cat.

Be well,

Algis
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Bananas and salt

Post by jimmylegs »

that was just such a different thread title, i had to check it!

would you mind refreshing my memory as the the details of your current supplement regimen, if any?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Algis, I am not an expert on the subject; however, I know that the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea ) diet is prescribed for children who have a case of diarrhea in order to help the problem. So I don't see how bananas could CAUSE your diarrhea.

Today, December 14, 2011, The Dr. Oz Show was a rerun of a September episode. He discussed constipation/diarrhea. He suggested his diet for diarrhea; the acronym is BOAT (Bananas, Oatmeal, Applesauce, Toast). His website also suggests an antidiarrheal drink of coconut water, orange juice, and pinch of salt: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-a ... rhea-drink

As I recall, this topic was discussed on an episode of The Dr. Oz Show. Immobility, or lack of exercise, and lack of fiber in the diet can cause constipation. Adding fiber-rich food (bananas have fiber) to your diet (or even a few Metamucil capsules) might improve your regularity. Fiber should help diarrhea as well – it will give more bulk to the "poop" as Dr. Oz calls it.

I cannot explain how salt might help in this situation.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

@lynda: maybe you did not read my post entirely; or I expressed myself wrongly. I ate bananas to control diarrhea and that seems to help. The problem is the neck muscles inflammation/soreness that I can raise my shoulders only with pain.

@jimmylegs: not much supplements; currently in my 3rd week of pycnogenol test (100mgX2-morning and evening). 10mg prednisolone daily in the morning; LDN in the evening. I feel great; my limbs just does not work...
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

Try some FLORASTOR probiotic.

It is NOT NOT a Bacteria probiotic!!

It is a safe yeast "saccharomyces boulardii lyo".

It is so GOOD it cures Clostridium difficile (pseudomembranous colitis) infections commonly called "C-diff".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomy ... lardii_lyo

jackD

p.s. It might also help treat that other problem MS.

p.p.s you can also put some on your bananas.

[Recent advances in Saccharomyces boulardii research].

[Article in French]
Im E, Pothoulakis C.
SourceSection of Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California-Los Angeles, CA 90095, United States.

Abstract
This review summarizes the probiotic mechanisms of action of Saccharomyces boulardii (S. boulardii) against inflammatory and non-inflammatory diarrheal conditions. S. boulardii is distributed in lyophilized form in many countries and used for the prevention of diarrhea in children and adults, including Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) associated infection.

The main mechanisms of action of S. boulardii include inhibition of activities of bacterial pathogenic products, trophic effects on the intestinal mucosa, as well as modification of host signaling pathways involved in inflammatory and non-inflammatory intestinal diseases. S. boulardii inhibits production of pro-inflammatory cytokines by inhibiting main regulators of inflammation, including nuclear factor κB (NF-κB), and mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAP kinases), ERK1/2 and p38, but stimulates production of anti-inflammatory molecules such as peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPAR-γ). Moreover, S. boulardii suppresses bacterial infection by inhibiting adhesion and/or overgrowth of bacteria, produces a serine protease that cleaves C. difficile toxin A, and stimulates antibody production against this toxin.

Furthermore, S. boulardii may interfere with pathogenesis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) by acting on T cells and acts in diarrheal conditions by improving the fecal biostructure in patients with diarrhea. These diverse mechanisms exerted by S. boulardii provide molecular clues for its effectiveness in diarrheal diseases and intestinal inflammatory conditions with an inflammatory component.

Copyright © 2010 Elsevier Masson SAS. All rights reserved.

PMID:20889007[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Last edited by jackD on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok thanks algis, next question, what does the one meal a day typically consist of, if i may ask?
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Actually I eat whatever is in my plate. Chinese meals are pretty oily; I eat a lot of meat because I don't like vegetables. Much pork; chicken, beef. Rice, potatoes. Much spicy curry. Bread with ham or bacon. I love chilli and mustard. When I feel my meal was too oily I drink a small glass of vinegar and it always goes.
I drink a fair amount of alcohol; mainly red wine or beer if the weather's hot.

I know my diet is a disaster, but if I can't even eat/drink what I like; then I'd better close my eyes and go.

@jackD: I'll try to get florastor here but I am not sure.

Thank you very much for your answer Jimmylegs :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ow. that is a rough diet algis :S just looking at the gluten and alcohol combination, i'd be investigating your zinc level if you have not before.. low zinc can cause diarrhea and bloating.

also. so there NO vegetables you can put up with?? what if you mashed potatoes with sweet potatoes? can you tolerate veg if they're cut up small and mixed into your curries? what about pureed into soup? just trying to throw out ideas for veg disguise :)
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Thanks jimmylegs. I have discussed with Li-Ling (wife) and she suggest a vegetable soup processed; a bowl a day. She can make bigger quantities and have them frozen by bowl size that I just need to warm up.
I will get zinc complement Monday; what dosage would you suggest?

Thanks again,

Algis
hwebb
Family Elder

Post by hwebb »

I am surprised anyone can live on that diet!
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

hwebb wrote:I am surprised anyone can live on that diet!
And for almost 50 years hahahahaha :lol:
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi again algis, the soup option sounds like a good one. would you mind letting me know what veggies would be in the soup? that way, i can check whether they are pro or anti-inflammatory.

do you eat fish at all? if not better take some fish oil.

i can't figure out how your diet provides enought vitamin C!! what fruit do you eat besides bananas?

as for zinc, is there any chance of your getting a serum zinc test done? if not, try 50mg/d of zinc (balanced with 2mg copper if you can find it) for one month, and see how you feel. zinc-related question: do you have any mild suspicion that your sense of smell or taste is not quite right? how about your overall vision or just night vision? is it all good, or could it be better?
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

Thank you Jimmylegs.

I am not sure of the names of the vegetables; I can only be sure of: onions, garlic, potatoes, celery, carrot, peas, spinach. I must check for others as I don't know their English names :oops: :">

I eat sometimes tuna from a can that I spread on 3~4 slices of bread. But I don't mind cod liver oil (?) if you think it is accurate.

I often eat (3 times a week) a raw green lemon. Orange is rare but it happen. Pineapple and kiwis. I kinda like fruits in pure juice but mixed with a finger of vodka (I better say the truth).

It will not be easy for me to get a zinc-specific test but I will try to extort it from the neurologist next month when I see him. Meanwhile I'll try to do as you suggested. Please tell me what is the "/d" of the 50mg of zinc?

Thank you;

Algis

***EDIT***

/d means "per day" I think... Sorry don't know why I did not thought of that :oops: again
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Algis, does your wife have a recipe for bitter melon, or use that vegetable in soup?
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

@Lyndacarol: we do have melons; but not sure about "bitter melon" since the translation does not mean much beside a non-matured melon (?) - I am not really a fan of that fruit but sometimes with prosciutto (ham) :P

***EDIT***
example: http://tinyurl.com/4x2sut2
There is pumpkin soup but am not sure if that is in relation (?)

Thank you for popping in anyway :)

Return to “Natural Approach”