Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:37 am

how's your hubby's serum retinol?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby cheerleader » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:43 am

Hey Jimmy...

Knew you'd come thru! I was really grasping last night....I've never spent so much time in drs. offices until this year. There's so much going on at once- my husband jokes he is now an "official science fair project."

Serum retinol- that's vitamin A levels, right? We have some blood work coming up (for liver function) I'll ask the doc if she can test some vitamin levels, as well. He's on a bunch'o antioxidants and supplements.

in the mean time, everyone- keep wearing sun screen.
best,
AC
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:49 pm

lol! i think we all feel a bit like some kind of odd experiment! perhaps ask about his zinc level too? if it's too low it could mess up utilization of retinol.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Study questions Vit D intake

Postby Frank » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:05 am

Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Frank
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:21 am

The article makes references to a Trevor Marshall. I would say he is the originator of the marshal protocol. There are many sites that place his theories in strong doubt. From memory, his Ph'D is not within medicine.
Trevor Marshall received his PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Western Australia in 1984
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Marshall
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby Loriyas » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:31 am

For what it is worth--
My physician at Vanderbilt recommends 5000 IU of vitamin D daily. Looks like differing opinions.
Lori
Loriyas
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:46 am

from page 7 of "mega D" under "regimens":

CureOrBust
Family Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Quote:
Vitamin D deficiency, long interpreted as a cause of disease, is more likely the result of the disease process, and increasing intake of vitamin D often makes the disease worse. "Dysregulation of vitamin D has been observed in many chronic diseases, including many thought to be autoimmune," said J.C. Waterhouse, Ph.D., lead author of a book chapter on vitamin D and chronic disease (2). "We have found that vitamin D supplementation, even at levels many consider desirable, interferes with recovery in these patients."
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94642.php

Although, the name "Marshal" (in other parts of the article) is worth a second check...

and I just did. Trevor Marshal is the same name as the guy pushin the Marshal Protocol. Apply salt liberally.

CureOrBust
Family Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:57 pm

Vitamin D2 Is As Effective As Vitamin D3 In Maintaining Concentrations Of 25-Hydroxyvitamin D
Quote:
Researchers from Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) have found that vitamin D2 is equally as effective as vitamin D3 in maintaining 25-hydroxyvitamin D status. The study appears online in the December 2007 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/92952.php

jimmylegs
Family Elder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 am

an interesting set of contradictions, but that's what the process is about

would be a good idea to compare the methodologies out there that evaluate efficacy of D2 and D3 and arrive at opposite conclusions.

re: the disease process, i've heard that concept voiced regarding uric acid too, that levels are down as a result of the disease process. now i think it is a pretty ridiculous assertion when you talk about something like vitamin D, which clearly varies with sun exposure regardless of disease, and which is clearly supplemented through natural dietary ingestion, never mind pills. again, i'd be interested to see the methodologies that arrive at opposite results. and which form of ingested D was used when negative impacts were noted. without having seen specific research, i'm relatively confident that ingested D is pretty damned useful in the arctic.

Quote:
Supplemental vitamin D has been used for decades, and yet the epidemics of chronic disease, such as heart disease and obesity, are just getting worse

i'd suggest that could be because the supplementation amounts to date have merely been aimed at prevention of rickets, and have not been implemented in sufficient levels to deal with other chronic diseases.

at first glance, these articles appear to be pretty good at leaving out some inconvenient portions of the picture![/i]
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby cheerleader » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:50 am

If it looks like a duck...
This guy lives down the 101 from me in so cal. Not sure how he can teach in Australia. That's some commute!! He's a mechanical engineer, lots of stuff about antennae and synthesizers on his site-
Here's his website.

http://trevormarshall.com

My husband is a California boy, born and raised in sunshine. Has the basal cells to prove it! Yet his MS and low serum vit. D point to some disregulation in his processing of Vit. D. He uses a sun lamp in his office and takes supplemental vit. D-3 (neuro recommended) and will continue to do so....
AC
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:10 am

bizarre!

interesting that your hubby has low d in spite of living in cali and having an indoor light and taking supplements.

what is his total current daily equivalent intake from all sources? what is his seasonal range of serum 25-hydroxyvitaminD3 levels?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:25 am

also what goes in to make sure the body has what it needs to absorb the d3 intake? i added some questions to the regimen thread related to this
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby cheerleader » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Hey Jimmylegs-
I should clarify, sorry! Hubby had low levels at presentation, but he's at normal high levels now. He had malabsorption issues, mild steatorrhea, high liver enzymes and was really toxic at first flare. His GP tested everything, and was very thorough. (Neuro said this wasn't related to MS, but I disagree.) We got him on a probiotic, cut out artificial sweeteners (he was addicted to diet sodas) and got him on a whole food/organic diet without dairy. Did a liver cleanse, and the enzymes resolved themselves in a month. Bowels became normal in a few months.

The vitamin issues have resolved over the course of a year. Our GP keeps testing his serum levels for vitamins, enzymes and hormones. I love her! His B12, D, uric acid are all high normal now, so he's on a maintenance of 2,000 iu vit. D. I'm not sure what his total intake levels of D-3 are, but he's absorbing vitamins now, and we've healed his gastric issues.

I think these gastro problems relate to his MS directly, although our neuro disagrees. She has remarked that he is doing quite well, however-
hope this helps,
AC
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:12 pm

excellent news cheer. does the GP test for minerals at all?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Jim_P » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:01 pm

I got on a Vitamin D kick for a while, thinking it would make me feel good. All that happened when I took high levels of D was, my hands remembered how numb they were on my last flare up. Thus, I dropped high levels of D and now only get a regular amount.

No vitamin ever made any difference in me that I noticed.

I'm sticking to my NAG, Chondroitin and Acetyl-Carnitine for now.
I'm feeling good more than feeling bad and that's good enough for me.
Jim_P
Family Member

Vit D as an immune modulator in MS, a review

Postby Frank » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:19 pm

The researchers state that vitamin D supports a T-cell shift towards an anti-inflamatory profile and enhance regulatory T-cell functionality:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18177949

--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Frank
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:42 am

it's true you need to be careful about which vitamins you take, in what doses, with which other supplements present. personally, i've been in the habit of reading, forming hypotheses about deficiency based on my diet and lifestyle, then testing levels and either finding or not finding a problem, and where there is a problem i undertake steps to correct the deficiency. sometimes when the lab result indicates no problem, further investigation in the literature has demonstrated that the lab is somewhat off and that "normal" ranges are certainly not "optimal" ranges.

sometimes i have tried supplements based only on symptoms and have been rewarded with radical improvement in under a week. other times it takes me longer to nail down the right blend to resolve a symptom. i still haven't fixed my carpal tunnel syndrome, but it does seem to be a little better these days, in terms of the numbness being there, but not as much of the swollen stiff feeling. i'm not hitting it particularly hard with anything right now though.

with vitamin d in particular you do need to be careful to take things in conjunction with it and if you don't, you can deplete needed minerals in the d absorption process. i suspect that my recent problems that were resolved with magnesium supplementation could have been due to an imbalance in the ratio of calcium and magnesium to my daily d3 intake. i haven't been able to find good research on balancing mg and d3 dosage yet.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Approach