all things vitamin D

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Postby Wonderfulworld » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks JL and MrR...yes I'm keeping on with the "drops" for him and am allowing him about 10 mins sun exposure a day without sunscreen - hopefully his levels will rise even further and by the next time of testing in June he will be in a really healthy range.

He even knows what I mean when I say "can you find your drops?" and fishes them out for me, hands them to me and then lies still with his mouth open. He thinks they are a treat and grins afterwards!

I am just so happy to at least try to help reduce his risk from this *%$*@#* disease, IYKWIM.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby Wonderfulworld » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:21 am

The Sami diet is also naturally gluten-free.... as a coeliac MS'er I noticed that a few years ago when I watched a documentary on them. They are, in essence, following a mesolithic diet - one that predated the farmers in the neolithic and the introduction of gluten (oats, wheat, barley, rye), chicken eggs, dairy etc. The BBD in effect.

Although I think the coffee was probably not around in mesolithic times :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Postby sou » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:51 am

Hi.

Just a clarification, with the risk of repeating somebody else.

The term "steroids" refers to a class of fat soluble molecules capable of crossing cell membranes. Steroid hormones activate receptors at the interior of the cell, which can do several things, usually promoting expression of certain genes, altering parameters of the metabolism and behavior of the cell.

Not all steroids act on the same receptors. Each has its very own specific role.

sou
Shortest joke: "We may not be able to cure MS but we can manage its symptoms."
sou
Family Elder

Postby mrhodes40 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks Sou! :D

I can always use clarification. I often get lost in the weeds explaining myself trying to make it simple I can lose clarity, please feel free to help me out if you can! :oops:
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Re: Thank you, RuSmolikova

Postby RuSmolikova » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:34 pm

lyndacarol wrote:...but already it raises old questions. The first one concerns the Lapps or Lapplanders. They live VERY far north in Scandinavia with very little sunshine (i.e. vitamin D); caribou makes up the majority of their diet; yet, MS is virtually nonexistent among these people. Why is that?

I have a similar Q: Why there is so many MS patients in Australia? A lot of sun, and perhaps plenty fish oil in their food...
The fact that MS is rare around the exuator is connected with the sunshine only, isn´t it? Could there be a difference in parasite rates (hook worms) in different regions?
How about Lapps and Escymos and possible parasites? Do they eat raw meat or the hung one?
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Postby peekaboo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Ru -

The fact that MS is rare around the exuator is connected with the sunshine only, isn´t it?

not just sunshine but civilization environmental toxins industry etc.
peekaboo
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:56 pm

to my understanding population in oz is mainly in the southeast spreading up the east coast in a narrow band, with a dense little population pocket in the southwest also.
in northern oz you're about as far from the equator as, say, mexico. in the southeast of australia you can get to be as far from the equator as parts of the northeastern US and the southernmost parts of canada.
as to diet.. i was only there for a few months but certainly plenty of fish and chips seem to get consumed in australia.. and on my work crew we were big fans of tinned tuna.. not the best options available, but certainly widespread and cheap.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby cheerleader » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:06 pm

peekaboo wrote:Ru -

The fact that MS is rare around the exuator is connected with the sunshine only, isn´t it?

not just sunshine but civilization environmental toxins industry etc.

I think there's also a genetic component. Oz was settled by brits- who have higher MS rates. Mostly native populations live along the equator (think Central America, Africa) The aboriginal people in Australia don't have MS, it's the white folk who came from Europe. Same in South Africa.

That said- toxins, viruses, antibiotics, metals, stress, saturated fats, high glucose, pesticides and all the modern civ. baddies promote autoimmune disease, inflammation and endothelial dysfunction. Genetic predisposition combined with environmental triggers....bang.
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby RuSmolikova » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:44 pm

cheerleader wrote:I think there's also a genetic component. Oz was settled by brits- who have higher MS rates.

Good point! Thanks.
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:01 am

yes there are definitely far lower ms rates among the aboriginal and torres strait islanders than non-aboriginal australians - although if you hunt for it, there are hints that it's starting to make an appearance (in spite of relative access to health care discrepancies etc).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby RuSmolikova » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:10 am

Another Q: Why there is so many MS patients among inhabitants of Sardinia island? They are of the same race as other Italians, the same sunlight, similar fish oil input, environment, etc...
But MS rate is much higher in Sardinia... :roll:
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:58 am

i'd be inclined to say they were looking for it harder there, so they found it more.

however according to this study, that only accounts for part of the discrepancy:

The marked increase of MS incidence and the change of MS clinical phenotype over time cannot be explained by ascertainment bias only,

so something changed in the environment:

thus pointing to a corresponding change in the distribution of exogenous risk factors in this highly genetically stable population.

from result #5 in regular google search on:
sardinia incidence ms

pubmed link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15990443

some have linked the changes in ms risk in sardinia to disappearance of malaria. i'd be taking a good hard look at history of ddt/similar use.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby cheerleader » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:30 am

I've mentioned this somewhere before...can't find it.
Sardinia is/was a huge industrial mining location- and their drinking water has been found to be polluted with heavy metals-
Geochemical studies in these areas have identified the main sources of contamination to be from drainage of flooded mines, mining wastes and tailings abandoned in settling ponds, and exposed ores. The transport of the fine materials eroded from the tailings ponds contributes to spreading pollution over larger areas downstream. Concentrations of Pb, Cd and Zn in the streams draining the mining area (up to 1, 1.7, and 1000 mg l–1, respectively) are several orders of magnitude higher than those observed in rivers outside the mining areas in Sardinia

http://geea.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/con ... ct/2/3/243

There's actually an Italian study( in Italian- no link) from the '50s which linked diseases to mining pollution-
[Diseases caused by dynamite explosions in Sardinian mining industry.]

Metals (especially cadmium) destroy the endothelial balance of nitric oxide (studies cited in my paper) and can be part of the tipping point for MS-
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby SarahLonglands » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:31 am

All this is true, but miners spend most of the daylight hours in darkness.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:37 am

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Approach