all things vitamin D

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Postby notasperfectasyou » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:33 am

Am I too late?

Kim's taking a boat load of D3. So while we are shaking this out, doesn't D3 trigger Ceramide? Can anyone explain Ceramide and whether there is a possible issue with D3 becasue of it? Ken
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby patientx » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 am

RuSmolikova wrote:Another Q: Why there is so many MS patients among inhabitants of Sardinia island? They are of the same race as other Italians, the same sunlight, similar fish oil input, environment, etc...
But MS rate is much higher in Sardinia... :roll:

If the occurrence of MS did coincide with the elimination of malaria, then maybe JL is on to something, that it's related to DDT use. Of course, if new cases of MS are being reported, then either the DDT would have had to cause a genetic change in the previous generation, or the DDT is still in the environment.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:46 am

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby RuSmolikova » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks for all the points, friends! :wink:

But I´ĺl mention very very very simple one: How about phenomenon of "lost enemy"?

If the immune system is set up to a certain level (dealing with malaria) and then the enemy is taken off. The immune system starts to seek another enemy and find it in CNS...
No matter if the DDT has been used and so on...

That could explain the fact that MS is rare around the equator (malaria and others). Immune system of people there hasn´t lost its enemy...
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby RuSmolikova » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:28 pm

Lyon wrote:...I'm not sure what science it would be based on.

A friend of mine always says: "When they find out the cause of MS, we all will gape at the horseshit it will be! All people see it but don´t take it into account."

Did biologist Alexander Fleming expect to discover penicillin leaving his petri dishes, in 1928? :wink:
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Postby Lyon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Postby RuSmolikova » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 pm

Lyon wrote:...maybe you'll find it interesting reading https://www.msu.edu/~lyonro/friendorfoe.pdf

Additionally, a lot of interesting articles in this issue of Immunology and it seems to be open access http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 3095/issue

Thanks a lot!
RuSmolikova
Family Elder

Postby patientx » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:12 am

Lyon wrote:
patientx wrote: If the occurrence of MS did coincide with the elimination of malaria, then maybe JL is on to something, that it's related to DDT use. Of course, if new cases of MS are being reported, then either the DDT would have had to cause a genetic change in the previous generation, or the DDT is still in the environment.
Maybe so, but we are still left with the fact that Muller didn't discover DDT until 1939 and in most times and places the startling increase in MS incidence started long before the invention and use of DDT.

Even so, DDT may be just one of the toxic agents that causes or kicks off the disease process.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:44 am

agree px, it could have been triggered by other things previous, possibly like the mining, whatever date that started up, and then got ramped up after ddt, plus whatever other local factors could have been involved..
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby patientx » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:15 am

Hey Jimmy,

I don't know when the rise of MS started, but industrial chemicals started being used in earnest late 1800's, early 1900's. Lead was added to gasoline in the 1910's, and was used until the 1970's after it was found this wasn't such a good thing.

Just a far-flung idea - I don't have anything that says MS might be caused by a chemical agent.
patientx
Family Elder

Postby Wonderfulworld » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:26 am

Sure lead has been in our food chain for far longer than 1800's - more like centuries...I know that in the middle ages lead was used extensively in white face powder fashionable amongst women in western europe and was added (along with mercury) to "medicines".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copaxone, Cymbalta. EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, Cal/Mag/Zinc, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:46 am

water pipes
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby skydog » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:32 pm

Lead !!! Should be dead from all that I have been exposed too. Lead split shot fishing weights, Bite too crimp on the fishing line. The leaded gasoline we siphoned out of any unlocked fuel tank too keep our motorcycles going. The lead paint scraped off boats before repainting with a leaded paint. Get the lead out. Tough to do... My levels were off the chart when I first tested for metals. Now trying to purge the system with eating good chelating greens like chlorella and cilantro. Planting the bigger garden... Mark Hey JL I have been trying to find a good source of supplements. Vitamin d in a larger doss. also r- alphalopoic acid that is in the liquid form. Need help... One of the problems with living in the boonies. closest nutrition center is F myers and not much help for quality I want.
Plant a BIG Garden Live in the Moment
skydog
Family Elder

Postby gainsbourg » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:46 pm

I find this MS cluster in Sardinia very interesting. I wonder if it has anything to do with the characteristics of the Sardinian people?

Also I found this mentioned in a study abstract about herpes virus in Sardinia:

High prevalence of human herpes virus type 8 HHV-8 infection has been reported on the island of Sardinia.

http://eprints.uniss.it/887/

I couldn't track down the whole article

gainsbourg
gainsbourg
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Approach