all things vitamin D

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Postby ppicklee » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:00 pm

It's funny (spelled ironic) that vitamin D and MS is getting so much attention these days. 10 years ago when I was taking vitamin D my neurologist sent me to a dietitian and blood work because they were so freaked out about the vitamin D. Now my current neurologist (the other one moved away) sent me to do blood work for vitamin D and now they say I'm not taking enough. So I don't think that the consensus is it in.
ppicklee
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:12 pm

the pros are finally catching up with the three decades of science that's all.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby ppicklee » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:22 pm

You gotta laugh. Sometimes you just smile, nod your head and laugh on the inside.
:-) :-)
ppicklee
Family Member

New Vitamin D Study

Postby ikulo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Ann Neurol. 2010 Aug;68(2):193-203.
Higher 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with lower relapse risk in multiple sclerosis.

Simpson S Jr, Taylor B, Blizzard L, Ponsonby AL, Pittas F, Tremlett H, Dwyer T, Gies P, van der Mei I.

Menzies Research Institute Private Bag 23 Hobart TAS 7001 Australia.
Abstract

OBJECTIVE: A protective association between higher vitamin D levels and the onset of multiple sclerosis (MS) has been demonstrated; however, its role in modulating MS clinical course has been little studied. We investigated whether higher levels of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OH-D) were associated with a lower risk of relapses in people with MS. METHODS: We conducted a prospective cohort study of 145 participants with relapsing-remitting MS from 2002 to 2005. Serum 25-OH-D levels were measured biannually, and the hazard of relapse was assessed using survival analysis. RESULTS: There was an inverse linear relationship between 25-OH-D levels and the hazard of relapse over the subsequent 6 months, with hazard ratio (HR) 0.91 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.85-0.97) per 10nmol/l increase in 25-OH-D level (p = 0.006). When variation due to timing of blood collection was removed by estimating 25-OH-D at the start of each season, this association persisted, with HR 0.90 (95% CI, 0.83-0.98) per 10nmol/l increase (p = 0.016). Taking into account the biological half-life of 25-OH-D, we estimated 25-OH-D at monthly intervals, resulting in a slightly enhanced association, with HR 0.88 (95% CI, 0.82-0.95) per 10nmol/l increase (p = 0.001). Adjusting for potential confounders did not alter these findings. INTERPRETATION: In this prospective population-based cohort study, in a cohort largely on immunomodulatory therapy, higher 25-OH-D levels were associated with a reduced hazard of relapse. This occurred in a dose-dependent linear fashion, with each 10nmol/l increase in 25-OH-D resulting in up to a 12% reduction in risk of relapse. Clinically, raising 25-OH-D levels by 50nmol/l could halve the hazard of a relapse. ANN NEUROL 2010;68:193-203.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20695012
ikulo
Family Elder

Raising vitamin D level by 50nmol/L could reduce relapses

Postby MSUK » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Study confirms raising vitamin D level by 50nmol/L could reduce MS relapses by 50%

Higher 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with lower relapse risk in multiple sclerosis.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: A protective association between higher vitamin D levels and the onset of multiple sclerosis (MS) has been demonstrated; however, its role in modulating MS clinical course has been little studied. We investigated whether higher levels of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OH-D) were associated with a lower risk of relapses in people with MS.
... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:01 am

in 2006 the mcmaster drug info desk told me the quick way to jump up 50nmol/L is 50,000 IU per day for 10 days.

from experience and discussions i've had, people will react differently to this treatment.

i had been supplementing with calcium and magnesium prior to my 2006 megadose, and i went up by more like 75 nmol/L on this regimen.

it seems that folks with better zinc status would probably go even more than 50nmol/L higher. that's speaking from personal experience ..

megadosing d3 worked very well the first time when i did not know i was zinc deficient..

the second time i had fixed zn deficiency and even though i only megadosed d3 for 8 days, i jumped up 150nmol/L to end up at 273nmol/L (not safe).

i know other TIMS members have had recalcitrant suboptimal d3 levels until they got their cal mag and zinc status sorted out.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:04 am

for more info see additional comment related to this finding, under the 'general discussion' vit d study topic by squiffy2
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

ACTION ITEM - ontario health insurance curbs vit d testing

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:19 pm

O. M. G.

news link
August 13, 2010 11:00 AM

Ontario is listening to expert medical advice and proposing to curb unnecessary Vitamin D testing for otherwise healthy people.

In June, Ontario's Health Technology Advisory Committee concluded that the routine use of Vitamin D testing for the general population could not be justified based on current evidence. This builds on other recent medical expert evidence that recommended changes to sleep studies, bone mineral density and pre-operative testing for cataract surgery.

Since 2004, Vitamin D testing has grown by 2,500 per cent - jumping from 29,000 tests to over 700,000 in 2009. Moving toward evidence based testing supports Ontario's Excellent Care for All agenda to ensure health care investments are getting results and improving patient care. The proposed change to Vitamin D testing would result in resources being redirected to other laboratory services.

The province would continue to cover Vitamin D testing for patients where medical evidence indicates there is a need. Ontario would continue to fund tests for patients with medical conditions such as Osteoporosis, Rickets, Osteopenia, Malabsorption Syndromes and Renal Disease. Ontarians who are on medications that affect Vitamin D metabolism would also still be covered.

The public is invited to comment on the proposed change to Vitamin D testing which will be posted on Ontario's regulatory registry until September 26.

In June, Ontario passed the Excellent Care for All Act, which lays the foundation for these improvements and is part of the Open Ontario Plan to improve the quality and value of health care.

QUICK FACTS

*This year it is expected that the government will be billed up to $66 million on Vitamin D tests compared to $1.7 million in 2004.
*If current trends continue, billings could reach up to $155 million by 2011/12.
*Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Labrador and Saskatchewan have all moved to limit unnecessary Vitamin D testing.

this is where health care is heading, canada.

ontarians with ms, if multiple sclerosis is not on the list of exceptions, it is time to send the ontario govt our input.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby miracles » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:51 pm

I had my first major MS flare up when I was visiting the country Equador.

I had to go to the ER cause I couldn't move my left leg, & I got MRIs there, & the doctors told me I was the first patient they ever had in that country that ever got MS.

The neurologists were just amazed to see someone with MS lesions on their MRI.

Equador is right near the equator, so people there get more sunlight than anywhere else.

I grew up in Iowa where I only got sun part of the year, & I didn't know the benefits of sunlight -- so I went years without sun.

Since there's no MS in Equador, & there are lots of people w/ MS in Canada -- I have to agree that vitamin D is an essential factor in why people get this.

So, vitamin D probably can help control it too.
miracles

foods containing vitamin D

Postby hwebb » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:50 am

Just in case you are not able to get much sunlight, vitamin D is also available in a variety of foods:

Food IUs per serving* Percent DV**
Cod liver oil, 1 tablespoon 1,360 340
Salmon (sockeye), cooked, 3 ounces 794 199
Mushrooms that have been exposed to ultraviolet light to increase vitamin D, 3 ounces (not yet commonly available) 400 100
Mackerel, cooked, 3 ounces 388 97
Tuna fish, canned in water, drained, 3 ounces 154 39
Milk, nonfat, reduced fat, and whole, vitamin D-fortified, 1 cup 115-124 29-31
Orange juice fortified with vitamin D, 1 cup (check product labels, as amount of added vitamin D varies) 100 25
Yogurt, fortified with 20% of the DV for vitamin D, 6 ounces (more heavily fortified yogurts provide more of the DV) 80 20
Margarine, fortified, 1 tablespoon 60 15
Sardines, canned in oil, drained, 2 sardines 46 12
Liver, beef, cooked, 3.5 ounces 46 12
Ready-to-eat cereal, fortified with 10% of the DV for vitamin D, 0.75-1 cup (more heavily fortified cereals might provide more of the DV) 40 10
Egg, 1 whole (vitamin D is found in yolk) 25 6
Cheese, Swiss, 1 ounce 6 2

My first thought on reading this list is "Dr Swank was ahead of his time"...as he recommended consuming cod-liver oil tablets...and lotsa fish. My second thought is that the traditional Japanese breakfast usually includes a serve of salmon (as well as miso soup, rice, and some veges). Tokyo, Japan has a low rate of MS...though it's a similar latitude to Melbourne, Australia. Is MS entirely genetic???
hwebb
Family Elder

Postby Algis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 am

traditional Japanese breakfast usually includes a serve of salmon (as well as miso soup, rice, and some veges).

Sorry to disappoint you; but most 'traditional' breakfast in Japan are fast noodles... Beef noodles; veggies noodles, or even seafood noodles - but Tokyo is a darn busy city; no one has time anymore (since a while) and it is even worse than Hong Kong...

They uses more junk food than you think :)
Algis
Family Elder

Call for Vitamin D in milk to help beat cancer, MS

Postby MSUK » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:52 am

Milk could be fortified with vitamin D to strengthen bones and prevent heart disease, cancer & MS.

The vitamin is credited with a host of benefits but because the body's stores of it are mainly formed by exposure to sunlight many Britons do not have enough of it.

In England, half of the population is low in the 'sunshine vitamin' when winter ends – in Scotland, it is two-thirds.

Dr Ann Prentice, chairman of the scientific advisory committee on nutrition, said: 'It is widely recognised within Government circles that we have a problem now that needs to be addressed. Milk is one of the potential vehicles that could be used.'... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Vit D influence on DNA

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:16 am

Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
Frank
Family Elder

Postby shye » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Jimmylegs-
Can't find my previous D tests, (even posted them somewhere on a discussion here on TIMS re D, but can't find that), but just got mine tested again.
Previously had been deficient, despite ten or so years on about 800 IU per day--then went on 10,000 to 14,000 per day, and brought levels up to a good space (can't remember exact figure, but was still room to take more)--then decreased to pretty steady 5,000 IU, and next test was lower, but still okay--but now, despite continued 5000 IU per day, back down to one above the insufficiency level!!
Only thing I think that is the problem here is the Zinc--I also got my Zinc levels tested at same time as the D, but results came back "no sutiable specimen received", which usually means someone at the lab dropped the specimen tube! So will get the zinc retested tomorrow--will post the results when come in next week.
I seem to need more than the norm in zinc, but had decreased the amt recently (still take more than the RDI), trying to evaluate and decrease supplements taken. Am getting all the symptoms of zinc deficiency--depression the worst. But eyesight worsens, coordination worse, skin not as good, hair seems grayer...
Anyway, will immediately go on 10,000 IUs, and increase the zinc after test tomorrow, and possibly increase both even more after get zinc results.
My copper was fine--did not test iron, but will also do that tomorrow, since copper, zinc, and iron are so closely intertwined in many actions.
Whatever, just taking a relatively high amt of Vit D is not the full answer for sure.
shye
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:31 pm

hey shye, it will be interesting to see those zinc results :)

don't you love lab stuff ups :S ah well it happens.

ttfn

jimmylegs
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Approach