all things vitamin D

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Vitamin D metabolites & MS

Postby MSUK » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:55 am

Vitamin D metabolites associated with clinical and MRI outcomes in MS patients

Abstract
Purpose The associations between vitamin D and MRI measures of brain tissue injury have not been previously investigated in multiple sclerosis (MS). This research evaluates the significance of vitamin D and its active metabolites in brain tissue injury and clinical disability in MS patients. ... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby David1949 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Whenever I try to take large doses of vitamin D I get a skin rash similar to rosacea. Otherwise I'd really max out on it. Does anyone else have that problem?
David1949
Family Elder

Postby tara97 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:06 am

I had reactions to D when I first took it. tremors got worse and muscles were stuck contracted in the neck. I did recognize that at first it did make me better it made me more rigid and stronger so I just took it 1000ius 3 days a week and then increased as tolerated. it eventually leveled out.

I dont know what the big mystery about D is for the "experts". calcium has 175 uses in the body and cellular energy is one of them, neuromuscular function, neurotransmitter function, neutralizing the acids under whcich our immune system opperates.
tara97
Family Elder

Low vitamin D not causal in postpartum MS relapses

Postby MSUK » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:10 am

The elevated risk of multiple sclerosis relapse for new mothers doesn't appear to be related to low vitamin D, results of a small prospective study showed.

Among women with MS, vitamin D insufficiency was common during pregnancy -- at 71%, Annette Langer-Gould, MD, PhD, of Kaiser Permanente Southern California in Pasadena, and colleagues found.
However, relapses were no more common at lower serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) levels and by six months postpartum were actually associated with marginally higher levels (P=0.04), the group reported online in the Archives of Neurology....Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MSUK
Family Elder

D vitamin

Postby trapatron » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:45 am

Last winter I had fatique every day. In the spring I started with D vitamines. Now the fatigue is gone so I will beleve its an connection between those two. Any else with some exprienses on this?
I allso had the liberation nov 3. No changes yet but I hope on an slowly recovering from the right sides weakness and heavy legs and weak fingers.
trapatron
Getting to Know You...

Postby paulmur » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:52 pm

yes I've found D3 significantly reduces my fatigue. I take 20,000 mg/day.
I stopped for a week or so and found fatigue coming back. I definitely think there is something to it.
paulmur
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm

hey there, don't know if you were also outside in the sun this summer, but that could have something to do with it too - cutaneous synthesis + supplements also.

if you find yourself getting fatigued this winter it may be time to rethink dose (make sure to get bloodwork done though, you want to be up over 100, 125-150 is best, but no higher than 250 nmol/L.

i accidentally went up to 271 on one lab test. i didn't feel any different but it can cause problems from hypercalcemia up that high.
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:12 pm

sorry you haven't seen changes from liberation treatment yet.

while you're waiting, if you are interested, you could list all your symptoms for me under the 'natural approach' or 'diet' forums, and i could tell you which might benefit from correcting some or all of the common nutritional deficiencies found in the average MS patient.
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby vivavie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Jimmy, I take vitamin D 1000 UI morning and night. I never saw any difference, I take it as a "precaution". Maybe you can explain me the difference between D and D3, should I switch?

Paulmur mentionned 20 000mg/day, isn't that very high???
Thank you
S
vivavie
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:36 pm

hi s :)

i don't think you'd notice much symptom-wise through taking vit d3, it's more about keeping your immune system in line among its many other important functions, and in the ms relevant studies i've seen it's preventive, lowers risk of developing ms, and can help reduce relapse rates.

your vitamin D supplement is likely either vitamin D2 or vitamin D3 if you read the label carefully. does it say ergocholecalciferol or cholecalciferol? you want cholecalciferol (D3).

sun-exposed human skin can sythesize 10,000 IU vitamin d3 in half an hour. research on vit d3 suggests an adult uses 4000 IU per day, so if you are supplementing 2000IU then you'd need to ensure your dietary intake is 2000IU per day for maintaining current serum levels. if you want to get your levels higher, you need to take more.

paulmur probably means 20,000 IU/d. in my opinion that's a bit much to be taking daily in the long term, but in the short term, with bloodwork, it's fine. just have to be sure not to go over 250 nmol/L.

depending on the status of other nutrients in your body, your ability to absorb d3 will vary. i found that once i identified and fixed a zinc deficiency, i could no longer megadose d3 in the same way without risking going above 250 nmol/L D3 in serum, which is dangerous. i got a new syringe so that i can eke out 10,000IU drops, whereas before the smallest drop i could get was 25,000IU (which i would take 1x every week or so in general).

what all do you deal with symptom wise, v, and what other supplements are in your regimen other than vit D?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Medical Panel: Don't Go Overboard On Vitamin D

Postby scorpion » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 am

These are just some recommendations from the Institute of medicine relating to Vitamin D.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/29/131668100 ... -vitamin-d
scorpion
Family Elder

Postby tara97 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:51 am

This is interesting and just goes to show you how confused these experts really are. its always nice to hear the other side of arguments. the center of my solar system is the sun. D is the power of the sun in my body. the center of my body is my bones made mostly of calcium and are just a meer reservoir for my bodies 175 different uses for calcium. When I first started taking D my body did not like it. only 1000 IUs threw me into such alkalosis that I thought I had parkensons, my neck froze, my heart started pounding and I had teribble tremors so I started taking it only 2 days a week, then 3 days, then 4 and so on until now I can tolerate 1000 everyday. It leveled me out and makes my muscles feel more rigid. I am not even going to sermise what is going on in my body, I can only attest to how I feel. D saved me. I can feel it.
tara97
Family Elder

Postby Vivianne766 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Evey time I take D vitamin + fish oil in the evening, I feel better, walk better and have more energy the next day.
This happened after my liberation and might not be an accurate observation.
Vivianne766
Family Elder

US triples intake advice on levels of vitamin D

Postby MSUK » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:54 am

IOM report sets new dietary intake levels for calcium and vitamin D to maintain health and avoid risks associated with excess.

Most Americans and Canadians up to age 70 need no more than 600 international units (IUs) of vitamin D per day to maintain health, and those 71 and older may need as much as 800 IUs, says a new report from the Institute of Medicine. The amount of calcium needed ranges, based on age, from 700 to 1,300 milligrams per day, according to the report, which updates the nutritional reference values known as Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) for these interrelated nutrients.....Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MSUK
Family Elder

Vitamin D and MS – Australian researchers say its time

Postby MSUK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:46 am

Vitamin D and MS – Australian researchers say its time for evidence

Many people believe that vitamin D supplements can reduce the activity of MS, and different websites recommend that MS patients use vitamin D supplementation. Vitamin D is naturally made in sun-exposed skin, especially in summer, but our increasingly indoor lifestyle and public health campaigns to reduce skin cancer have meant that less of our skin is exposed to the sun, and low vitamin D levels are common, even in this sundrenched country.

As vitamin D is readily available in 1000IU capsules, and is generally safe (with few exceptions).... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MSUK
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Approach