all things vitamin D

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Postby Loobie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:50 am

Hell, I take 4000IU a day and I still only test in the normal range for D levels. I don't think it's too much, I've never felt anything from taking vitamin D.
Loobie
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby elliberato » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:03 pm

IVE been taking 12000 iu a day for 4 years. Feel no different, symptoms no different. I think your body only absorbs so much. I felt the worst it could do is give me a a new symptom or two. whats the diff?
elliberato
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 pm

i first heard about this report on cbc radio and from the synopsis i gathered that it focuses on vit d3 and bone health, and dismisses the 30+ years of research on the links between d3 and the immune system as inconsistent and contradictory.

earlier this year i built a case on the relevance of d3 to MS and sent it to the ontario government - it's posted somewhere here at TIMS :) .. something about action in the subject line if i remember correctly. in response to the provincial govt yanking OHIP funding for d3 tests unless you have rickets etc. :roll:
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
info: www.whfoods.com, www.nutritiondata.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

vitamin D supplementation guidelines

Postby hwebb » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Here are the vitamin d supplementation guidelines published by the victorian government in southern Australia:

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/chiefhealthofficer/downloads/vitamin_d_med2010may.pdf

They recommend quite aggressive supplementation where vitamin D deficiency is measured.
hwebb
Family Elder

Postby CureOrBust » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:32 pm

The Institute of Medicine panel rejects those claims. The only benefit, it says, is to maintain healthy bones.
What? I am no doctor, but simply prima facie I have never heard of a vitamin that only had ONE effect.

I am very comfortable in saying that this is either very bad journalism, or very bad science.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Postby tara97 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 pm

understanding the calcium metabolism is a very difficult thing to organize in my head. understanding the action of calcitonin, PTH and calcitriol ( vit D) in reference to the hormonal cascade is a mind blowing task. No one website explains it properly with how calcium and the immune system work together . some say that too much calcium causes the wearing out of osteoblast action and causes osteoporosis. I really try to go with the way I feel I try not to take one supplement every day because I can feel that my body is shifting back and forth. I have memorized that when my muscles feel weak that calcium and D help this and when my muscles feel too rigid then magnesium and potassium help and I stay away from D. if you have lost the ability to hold your body and feel waxing and waning then you can feel what you need and that changes all the time.
tara97
Family Elder

Consensus vitamin D position statement issued by charities

Postby MSUK » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:18 am

This consensus statement represents the unified views of the British Association of Dermatologists, Cancer Research UK, Diabetes UK, the Multiple Sclerosis Society, the National Heart Forum, the National Osteoporosis Society and the Primary Care Dermatology Society.

Vitamin D is essential for good bone health and for most people sunlight is the most important source of vitamin D. The time required to make sufficient vitamin D varies according to a number of environmental, physical and personal factors, but is typically short and less than the amount of time needed for skin to redden and burn. Enjoying the sun safely, while taking care not to burn, can help to provide the benefits of vitamin D without unduly raising the risk of skin cancer.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Vitamin D has a direct immunomodulatory effect in MS

Postby MSUK » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:43 am

Vitamin D has a direct immunomodulatory effect on CD8+ T cells of patients with early multiple sclerosis and healthy control subjects

summary
There is increasing interest in the role of vitamin D in the pathogenesis and potentially in the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). The active form of vitamin D has been shown to have an immunomodulatory effect on CD4+ T cells. In this study its effect on CD8+ T cells from ten patients was examined.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Too Much Vitamin D?

Postby joehall » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:34 pm

It seems this topic doesn't have an end. I take lots of vitamin D, and i constantly hear from others to be careful of taking too much otherwise i could develop kidney stones, calcium build up etc the list goes on!
but does anyone have any sort of real experience with taking TOO MUCH vitamin D. It seems doctors have had patients take too much, but i am yet to meet these people or hear anything further from these people.

Can anyone help me?
joehall

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 pm

i had my levels go up to 271 nmol/L by accident one time. i spotted it quickly because i was monitoring the effects of my regimen. i got the level back down with no trouble.

even when the levels don't go over 250 you have the potential for problems with imbalances if taking high levels of D3. personally i drove my magnesium levels down by taking lots of D3 without properly balancing and timing it wrt other minerals...

the only reason my d3 ever went super high, was because my body's absorption had changed. previously i had been zinc deficient. i used a tried and true d3 megadose, but with my zinc situation corrected my d3 absorption was tripled.

HTH!
my approach: no meds so far - just nutrient-dense anti-inflammatory whole foods, and supplements where needed
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby LR1234 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:04 pm

I think Patrick Holford talked about overdosing on Vitamin D somewhere but I can't remember where......!
LR1234
Family Elder

Postby shye » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Joehall-
yes, be careful--get your levels checked before you start supplementing, so you can monitor whether you indeed need to supplement, and how long it takes to get to a good level if you do need to supplement. I am one of those that overdosed--but my OH25 levels went only to where many of the proponents of taking high dose D recommend---that is, the level was above 50, but still within the range. BUT then I started seeing calcium deposits on my xrays of neck --ie carotid artery; then had ultrasound of abdomen (need one each year re: liver problem), and thiss time it showed calcification in arteries of abdomen. So got full ultrasound of carotids and solar plexus area, and indeed, calcification throughout. This was NOT there prior to taking large doses of Vit D ! I then had my Dr test my vitamin D 1 25 level (health insurance does not want to cover this, and if you read the CURRENT arguments, this is not a test needed, you only need the OH 25 level in order to supplement). BUT THIS IS WRONG. If you go back to the older advice on Vit D, you see must be careful with it, one of main reasons being the 1 25 D increases with supplementation, and if too high, this interferes with the parathyroid function, and then TOO MUCH CALCIUM IS DEPOSITED, AND MOST OFTEN IN SOFT TISSUE (IE NOT BONE). This is what happened to me--Indeed, my 1-25 was too high!
So stopped all supplementation for several months, retested and 1-25 now at good level, but the OH25 now at insufficiency level of 27. BUT I will post later (need to find the articles) the level the OH25 is best at is about 35--NOT the 50 or higher currently recommended.. when go above 35, run into problems of various sorts.
So, I am cautiously supplementing, and will retest soon, in order to make sure do not go above the 35.
And of courseI am taking supplements and changing diet in order to get out the calcium deposited in the wrong places. Might even do chelation again. Will get an ultrasound in 6 months to track progress on that.
shye
Family Elder

Re: Too Much Vitamin D?

Postby NHE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:29 am

Hi Shye,
You may want to look into vitamin K2. There a couple of different forms of vitamin K. Vitamin K1 is involved in the clotting cascade. It is the intended target to be inhibited by coumadin/warfarin. However, vitamin K2, which is also inhibited, has a different role. It activates a protein, matrix Gla, which scrubs calcium deposits out of our blood vessels. You may want to give vitamin K2, also known as menaquinone (look for MK-7), a trial run to see if it helps.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby jimmylegs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 am

i have been testing both 25OH and 1,25OH2 D3, the first time i tested 1,25 it was a lab error when i was trying to get baseline 25OH. more recently i have been keeping an eye on it since i have an unrelated medicine which contains 1,25OH2 D3. it did take my levels too high so i discontinued use. i have not noticed any problems with calcium deposits but have not had any tests done which would flag them either, so who knows!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby shye » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks NHE, appreciate the advice
Yes, I am taking K2 already--using the Life Extension formula Super K, when this runs out, will get a K2 derived from natto

Jimmylegs,
you don't feel the calcification (unless, I would guess, it pretty much closes off the arteries)--as I say, mine was discovered only while doing testing for other things...
shye
Family Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Approach