all things vitamin D

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Call for vitamin D supplements to tackle Scots MS rates

Postby MSUK » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:02 am

Rates of multiple sclerosis are so "dire" in Scotland that essential foods should be fortified with vitamin D, according to an Oxford academic.

Professor of clinical neurology, George Ebers, has published a study showing a strong link between the condition and vitamin D deficiency.

He says the Scottish government could face legal action from people who go on to develop MS in future.

Scotland's chief medical officer said trials of supplements were needed.

Scotland has the highest levels of MS in the world and the lowest levels of vitamin D, due to a lack of sunshine and a diet low in oily fish.

Prof Ebers has published the latest study to show a link between the vitamin and multiple sclerosis, but he says efforts to convince the Scottish government and its top health advisor, Sir Harry Burns, that the whole population needs to take vitamin D have come to nothing....Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: all things vitamin D

Postby Froggie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 pm

I recently had my vitamin D level tested and it appears to be a little low. Can anyone recommend a reliable website that charts vitamin D levels? I'm currently taking 2000 IU's, though likely need to up it.
Froggie
Family Elder

Postby NHE » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi Froggie,

Froggie wrote:I recently had my vitamin D level tested and it appears to be a little low. Can anyone recommend a reliable website that charts vitamin D levels? I'm currently taking 2000 IU's, though likely need to up it.

Are you taking any zinc? Some people find that it helps in the absorption of vitamin D3.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Froggie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi NHE-

Thanks for the tip. No, I'm not taking zinc other than in my multi vitamin. Worth investigating, as I'm reassessing my supplement regime.
Froggie
Family Elder

Postby NHE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 am

Froggie wrote:Thanks for the tip. No, I'm not taking zinc other than in my multi vitamin. Worth investigating, as I'm reassessing my supplement regime.

How much is in your multi and what form is it? You want to be careful not to overdo it with zinc as it can mess up copper levels and cause some problems.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Froggie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 pm

It's 11mg, though it doesn't say what form. It's a pretty generic multi, so the ingredients are likely more geared towards your average person and not someone with MS. How much vitamin D and zinc do you take?

Froggie
Froggie
Family Elder

Postby NHE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Froggie wrote:It's 11mg, though it doesn't say what form. It's a pretty generic multi, so the ingredients are likely more geared towards your average person and not someone with MS. How much vitamin D and zinc do you take?

Vitamin D3: 2400 IU
Zinc (as zinc glycinate): 30 mg
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate): 200 mg

That's not much magnesium, but I try to eat magnesium rich foods like dark green leafy veggies and nuts such as cashews.

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

New standard for vitamin D testing ensures accurate test res

Postby MSUK » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:05 am

At a time of increasing concern about low vitamin D levels in the world's population and increased use of blood tests for the vitamin, scientists are reporting development of a much-needed reference material to assure that measurements of vitamin D levels are accurate. The report appears in ACS' journal Analytical Chemistry.

Karen Phinney and colleagues explain that medical research suggests vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency may be even more common than previously thought and a risk factor for more than just bone diseases. An estimated 50-75 percent of people in the U.S. may not have enough vitamin D in their bodies....Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1334
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
MSUK
Family Elder

FYI Re: all things vitamin D

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:54 pm

regimens-f22/topic2489-285.html#p185808
"Severe Hypercalcemia Following Vitamin D Supplementation in a Patient With Multiple Sclerosis - A Note of Caution"
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: FYI Re: all things vitamin D

Postby tedhutchinson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:33 am

jimmylegs wrote:http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic2489-285.html#p185808
"Severe Hypercalcemia Following Vitamin D Supplementation in a Patient With Multiple Sclerosis - A Note of Caution"
In this case we are talking about a person taking additive effect of 5500 IU of cholecalciferol and 2020 mg of calcium daily.

This is almost twice the RDA for her age.
Calcium RDA

The RDA is the minimum requirement for health from all sources and we should all be aware that DIETARY calcium sources compared to supplements are better used by the body which is why these are listed first in the details at the above link.

We should also be aware that when we increase Vitamin D status our ability to absorb calcium from food/water increases about 4 times so at the same time we need to REDUCE our reliance on calcium supplements. We should also be aware that calcium supplements are linked to increased stroke risk. So it makes sense to REDUCE or LIMIT calcium from supplements to no more than 600mg daily while of course ensuring the RDA for calcium is met in total with the balance coming from Food and water.
When considering calcium we have to understand the basics of how it is used by both muscles fibers and brain neurons. Calcium tenses the muscle fibre and excites the brain neurone. to counterbalance these actions we use MAGNESIUM to relax the muscle and calm the neuron. So in order to maintain that balance we need virtually as much magnesium as we do calcium. Unfortunately modern farming techniques don't ensure any of our foods now have as much magnesium as would have been the case just 50 yrs ago. It's a combination of plant breeding and fertilizer use and the fact that many crops are now faster maturing. We also have the problem that the use of HFCS (found now in many foods with various names glucose/fructose syrup) actually depletes magnesium status.
So not only do most people fall short of the Image
RDA for MAGNESIUM

We are almost all consuming drinks/foods containing HFCS derivatives that actually cause us to excrete magnesium faster than before.
So the problem with Hypercalcemia is NOT from the Vitamin D3, it's the OVERUSE of supplemental calcium in people who are MAGNESIUM DEFICIENT.

If we want to prevent people having too much calcium in the blood we need to ensure they are only obtaining the RDA for calcium and not consuming more than is necessary or desirable and that this is balanced by at least the RDA for magnesium and they aren't consuming (mainly drinking fizzy drinks like Coke or energy drinks sweetened with HFCS or it's pseudonyms) It also helps to keep calcium where it should be stored in bones, by checking Vitamin K sources. Do remember vitamin D and Vitamin K are fat soluble vitamins so consuming a low fat diet may increase deficiency in fat soluble vitamins.

A more accurate and honest headline should have been Severe Hypercalcemia Following Toxic Calcium Supplementation in a Patient With Multiple Sclerosis - A Note of Caution particularly for those who remain Magnesium Deficient.
tedhutchinson
Family Member

Postby toechi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Recent 5 year study says Vit D levels are inversely associated with MS activity on brain activity.
(higher Vit D level = less relapses/disability)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22926855
toechi

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:31 am

yep - within limits of course. also i personally can't take calcium supplements, i can feel my levels going too high in relation to magnesium when i do. i take d3 and get lots of calcium from food - for me that's enough. if i don't take enough magnesium i get into trouble
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby dez2000 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Vitamin D-3 is one of the more important nutrients, but all are important and are made more potent working together. Vitamin C is the keystone that makes all the others nutrients more effective and they in turn does the same for vitamin C. There are many thousands of nutrients. Seven hundred carotenes alone and counting. Oils and fats are important. Like most over processed foods vegetable oils are toxic. Olive oil and cocoanut oil are best and have many nutrients, Coconut oil has been found to cure Alzheimer disease in one documented case and is now being researched for other mental diseases. Variety is the spice of health. Processed sugars are the barnacles of lives that end up in a doctors office getting a prescription for drugs.
dez2000
Family Member

Postby tedhutchinson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:39 pm

High vitamin D may prevent multiple sclerosis
"With each doubling of the serum 25-OH-D concentration the exacerbation rate decreased by 27%,
tedhutchinson
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:58 am

and zinc status has a lot to do with ability to absorb d3. i've learned not to look at any nutrient as an independent actor..
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Approach