natural-approach-f27/topic18585.html

Curcumin + Piperine
post181912.html#p181912
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Re: all about curcumin

Postby THX1138 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:07 pm

This article turned me on to Turmeric / Curcumin years ago.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA288736
THX1138
Family Elder

Postby cheerleader » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:31 am

New research from Johns Hopkins Dept. of Neurology on curcumin as a protector of axons--full paper at link:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 8613003828

Axon degeneration is a hallmark of several central nervous system (CNS) disorders, including multiple sclerosis (MS), Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Parkinson’s disease (PD). Previous neuroprotective approaches have mainly focused on reversal or prevention of neuronal cell body degeneration or death. However, experimental evidence suggests that mechanisms of axon degeneration may differ from cell death mechanisms, and that therapeutic agents that protect cell bodies may not protect axons. Moreover, axon degeneration underlies neurologic disability and may, in some cases, represent an important initial step that leads to neuronal death. Here, we develop a novel quantitative microfluidic-based methodology to assess mechanisms of axon degeneration caused by local neuroinflammation. We find that LPS-stimulated microglia release soluble factors that, when applied locally to axons, result in axon degeneration. This local axon degeneration is mediated by microglial MyD88/p38 MAPK signaling and concomitant production of nitric oxide (NO). Intra-axonal mechanisms of degeneration involve JNK phosphorylation. Curcumin, a compound with both anti-oxidant and JNK inhibitory properties, specifically protects axons, but not neuronal cell bodies, from NO-mediated degeneration. Overall, our platform provides mechanistic insights into local axon degeneration, identifies curcumin as a novel axon protectant in the setting of neuroinflammation, and allows for ready screening of axon protective drugs.

part of the Endothelial Health Program since 2008
http://ccsvi.org/index.php/helping-myse ... ial-health

craving Indian food.....
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
cheerleader
Family Elder

Postby ThisIsMA » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Cheer,

That study you quoted on Curcumin says:

This local axon degeneration is mediated by microglial MyD88/p38 MAPK signaling and concomitant production of nitric oxide (NO).

I see that kind of sentence a lot: that "X" is mediated by "Y". Can you explain what that means? Its the word "mediated" that's tripping me up. I know what the word means in other contexts but it just occurred to me I might be misunderstanding it in a medical study context.

In the above quoted sentence are they saying that increased production of nitric oxide reduces the rate of axon degeneration, or does it make it worse?

Thanks,

M.A. (<--trying to improve my study reading skills)!
DX 6-09 RRMS
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Postby NHE » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:06 am

ThisIsMA wrote:I see that kind of sentence a lot: that "X" is mediated by "Y". Can you explain what that means? Its the word "mediated" that's tripping me up. I know what the word means in other contexts but it just occurred to me I might be misunderstanding it in a medical study context.

In the above quoted sentence are they saying that increased production of nitric oxide reduces the rate of axon degeneration, or does it make it worse?

Thanks,

M.A. (<--trying to improve my study reading skills)!

Not to answer for Cheer, but I think 'caused by' is likely the correct interpretation.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby ThisIsMA » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:51 am

Not to answer for Cheer, but I think 'caused by' is likely the correct interpretation.

Hi NHE,

Wow, I would not have guessed that. So "X" is mediated by "Y" means that "Y" causes "X"? Or to say it another way: Increases in Y cause increases in X? I was thinking just the opposite. I guess I'm confusing the word "moderated" with the word "mediated". I hope someone else jumps in to confirm this, since it will affect how I read study results in the future!

In a non-medical context the word "mediate" means:
To resolve or settle (differences) by working with all the conflicting parties

So I thought in a study context, that a substance named as mediating a process, was a substance that calmed down the problem or helped the problem resolve.

I just tried to look this up further, and found another definition online that seems more medically relevant:
to cause a change, as in stimulation by a hormone.

So I think your definition is correct in a medical context. Its going to take a while to get used to that definition, but it sure makes a huge difference in reading medical studies!

For example in this sentence from earlier in this thread:
This local axon degeneration is mediated by microglial MyD88/p38 MAPK signaling and concomitant production of nitric oxide (NO).
the nitric oxide production is bad, causing the axon degeneration!?

Learn something every day...

M.A.
DX 6-09 RRMS
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Return to Natural Approach