all things magnesium

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Postby LoveActually » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:19 pm

That helps tremendously, thank you!!!
October 29, 2009 - Dx with RRMS
June 22, 2010 - Dx's changed to Devic's (NMO)
January 4, 2011 - Dx w/Syringomyelia T4-T9, Migraines, and Possible MS (again - long story)
LoveActually
Family Elder

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:25 pm

you're very welcome!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby koopico » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:15 am

Great info as always, JL--thanks!
koopico
Family Member

Re: Magnesium

Postby PointsNorth » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi JL,

I've been prescribed Mg by Neurologist for fatigue. Given my Crohn's I'm scared to try. Is there a form that will not upset my colon?

Thanks, PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Postby PointsNorth » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:43 pm

I've done some research and found Mag BisGlycinate 100mg tabs. Apparently doesn't upset stomach in small doses

I'll take 2xday. Tried for first time this afternoon . . . . no problems thus far.

PN
Coimbra Protocol 2014-
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:28 pm

hi there, sorry i missed your post the other day.

FYI i search for comments aimed at me using 'jimmy*'. the search engine doesn't find 'JL' for me :S (even though i like to call others PN etc hehe)

the only problem i had from magnesium bisglycinate was if i took it on an empty stomach and laid down.

it took me a ridiculously long time to figure out it was giving me a horrible cough.

re crohn's - what's your serum zinc level, iima?

i had been for testing and we knew i had reflux, i just didn't put it together with magnesium until i got this pamphlet listing things you can stop doing, things that relax the LES. the penny dropped. i hypothesized that it was washing over my lower oesophageal sphincter with an unusual cough side effect rather than your mainstream heartburn.

now when i take mag bisglycinate i make sure to take it before food, and then stay upright. coughing averted!

fyi magnesium citrate is one i can handle at bed time.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby mrbarlow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:15 am

I am a big Mg fan

I suffered serious upper back muscular tension for 20 years. Since I have been on high dose Mag / D3 / Omega 3 its gone.

Got my mother on magnesium as she suffers from cramps. After two days on 900mg a day - virtually gone.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:52 pm

it really is so amazing :D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby PointsNorth » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi jimmylegs,

I don't know what any of my levels are. I need to find out if I can get a exhaustive blood test. I don't have a terminal ileum thanks to Crohn's so I'd really like to find out what I'm deficient in - besides b-12 which I take every 2-3 weeks. Fyi I take Zinc for the Crohns and it works like magic (just like LDN did). I've been on Mg BisGlycinate for a week now (100mgx2/day)and no change in fatigue level (which is terrible currently). My neurologist says that I will need to take for 2 months. I will check out your regimen. I will conference with Dr. Bill Code shortly who likes his Emu oil. It will be nice to have a doctor who is fluent in MS.

THANKS to YOU for your participation on this forum!!

Best, PointsNorth
Coimbra Protocol 2014-
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:31 pm

no problem PN! glad the zinc helps w/ your crohn's - that's an intuitive one from my perspective :)

see if you can bump up the magnesium to 600mg per day total - 200 a day is well below your typical recommendation for an ms patient. if you ever can get bloodwork, make sure that serum magnesium is at least 0.90 mmol/L.

and in case mag's not the whole picture, you might need to check your serum ferritin to make sure your iron status is okay.

you stay properly hydrated, right? just sort of thinking out loud re other causes of fatigue. but, do try bumping up the mag intake for a week first. hth!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

FYI Re: all things magnesium

Postby jimmylegs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

regimens-f22/topic2489-285.html#p183392
nailing down optimal serum magnesium status...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: all things magnesium

Postby dez2000 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:52 pm

All minerals are important. Magnesium is also important for those suffering menstrual stress. If you are going to use the FDA’s RDA as a nutrition guide, it is going to make some doctor a very happy person, wealthy to.
dez2000
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:06 am

a worthwhile read. lots of info I have never seen before.
http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/ ... t-analysis
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby dez2000 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:50 pm

What you are reading comes straight of pharmaceutical book of lies. Magnesium has nothing in common with drugs. You would have to take ridicules amount of Magnesium for it to be toxic or have any side effects. If Magnesium had side effects the controlled media would shout it from the roof tops. A drug side affect begets more lies or the controlled media buries it so deep you couldn’t find it with dredge.

Magnesium shortage can also trigger migraines.

Theirs another amazing nutrient I have stumbled upon, human, animal grade diatomaceous earth. The main ingredient is silica in a form most compatible with vitamin c and our body. Silica as a mineral is part of our planets makeup and without it, their would be no life on earth. You will have to do the Research to find the incredibly positive effect it can have on our body and health. Its natural and cannot be patented and is available in bulk at less than 75 cents a pound. People are buying it bulk to distribute it to family and friends. The pharmaceutical industries have not attracted it for is's use by humans yet, but I expect they will for it can eliminate many drugs in your medicine cabinet.

Human/animal grade diatomaceous earth is known to balance cholesterol and heart blood pressure without side affects, clean the colon, normalize the stomach etc. …dez...
dez2000
Family Member

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:59 am

considering how pro magnesium the content was, I find it interesting that you took away an anti magnesium message. personally, I have experienced the side effects of magnesium at daily intakes less than the amounts recommended for pwms. doesn't stop me from taking it. I've already taken mag citrate today and haven't even had the first sip of my morning tea yet.

I've used diatomaceous earth before, but only in the garden as insect repellent. can you post links to studies? would be interesting to check out the science on the human health aspect. perhaps post in a new topic so we don't derail this one.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Approach