on omega 3 fatty acids / fish oils etc

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
dignan
Family Elder

Why wouldn't you take Omega 3's?

Post by dignan »

New evidence supporting the use of Omega 3's for MS:

Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2005 Aug 12;

Low fat dietary intervention with omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in multiple sclerosis patients.

Weinstock-Guttman B, Baier M, Park Y, Feichter J, Lee-Kwen P, Gallagher E, Venkatraman J, Meksawan K, Deinehert S, Pendergast D, Awad AB, Ramanathan M, Munschauer F, Rudick R.

Baird Multiple Sclerosis Center for MS Treatment and Research, Jacobs Neurological Institute, State University of New York, 100 High Street, Buffalo General Hospital-E2, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA.

Objectives: To determine whether a low fat diet supplemented with omega-3 positively affects quality of life (QOL) in relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) patients. In this 1-year long double-blind, randomized trial, patients were randomized to two dietary interventions: the "Fish Oil" (FO) group received a low fat diet (15% fat) with omega-3 FOs and the "Olive Oil" (OO) group received the AHA Step I diet (fat 30%) with OO supplements.

The primary outcome measure was the Physical Components Summary Scale (PCS) of the Short Health Status Questionnaire (SF-36). Additional measures using MS specific QOL questionnaires, neurological status and relapse rate were obtained.

Results: 31 RRMS patients were enrolled, with mean follow up over 11+/-SD 2.9 months. Clinical benefits favoring the FO group were observed on PCS/SF-36 (P=0.050) and MHI (P=0.050) at 6 months. Reduced fatigue was seen on the OO diet at 6 months (P=0.035). The relapse rate decreased in both groups relative to the rates during the 1 year preceding the study: mean change in relapse rate in the FO group: -0.79+/-SD 1.12 relapses/year (P=0.021) vs. -0.69+/-SD 1.11 (P=0.044) in the OO group.

This study suggests that a low fat diet supplemented with omega-3 PUFA can have moderate benefits in RRMS patients on concurrent disease modifying therapies.

<shortened url>
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Thanks. We have been following that plan and it's nice to see there might be some benefit. We are high on Omega 3 and low fat as I try to keep fat at between 10-20 grams per day.
dignan
Family Elder

Omega 3's...again

Post by dignan »

More good stuff happening with Omega 3's...

Oregon Health & Science University Studying OMEGA-3s As Treatment For MS Depression

August 23, 2005 - Oregon Health & Science University researchers want to know if depression, particularly among multiple sclerosis patients, is the latest illness that can be reeled in with omega-3 fatty acids found in fish.

A clinical trial is under way in the OHSU School of Medicine's Department of Neurology to determine whether omega-3 supplementation, in the form of fish oil capsules, improves the therapeutic effects of antidepressants for depression in MS patients. Depression is a common MS symptom, which affects 50 percent to 60 percent of this population.

The study is funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

Lynne Shinto, N.D., OHSU assistant professor of neurology, is leading the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial expected to involve 60 research subjects ages 18 to 65 who have MS and suffer from mild to moderate depression. Participants are being split into two groups - one taking doses of 6 grams per day of fish oil capsules and the other taking a placebo - and will be followed for three months.

All subjects are allowed to continue taking antidepressant and MS medications while participating in the study. Those experiencing significant improvement in their depression can continue treatment for another three months so scientists can evaluate the longer-term effects of fish oil.

Shinto hopes to find out not only whether omega-3s show clinical benefits for MS depression, but also whether they reduce the levels of inflammatory agents believed to contribute to both depression and MS.

"The primary outcome is clinical. We would like to see a decrease in depression, but we also want to see if the clinical benefit is associated with a reduction of inflammatory markers," she said. "My hope is to use an agent that may be beneficial for both MS and depression. It's thinking holistically about MS depression."

Although the cause of MS is still unknown, it is believed that damage in the central nervous system results from a small group of white blood cells, which normally defend against infection in the human body, that are misdirected to attack myelin, the fatty sheath insulating nerve fibers in the brain and spinal cord. As a result, the fibers can't conduct impulses, leading to such MS symptoms as walking difficulties, memory loss, dizziness, fatigue, bladder dysfunction, vision problems, pain, imbalance, and depression. Fish-based omega-3s are believed to decrease the levels of inflammatory agents, cytokines, secreted in the blood that are involved in the demyelinization of nerve fibers.

"They're really anti-inflammatory," Shinto said of omega-3s. "Inflammation in the central nervous system is one of the causes of demyelinization, which results in MS symptoms. It is interesting that now there is a body of scientific evidence linking inflammation to depression in non-MS patients. I thought maybe the high rate of depression in MS could be related to inflammation and, in that case, omega-3 fatty acids could benefit both depression and MS."

Fish oil, particularly that of cold water fish such as salmon, mackerel, lake trout and tuna, contains high levels of two kinds of omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid, or EPA, and docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA. They are believed to help improve heart health, reduce blood pressure, improve rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, and aid in cancer prevention.

Fish oil supplementation is reported to cause few side effects in subjects with depression who were on stable doses of antidepressant medication. The OHSU study will be the first to rigorously evaluate the effectiveness of a popular supplement, when taken with antidepressant, in people with MS.

Shinto is leading another OHSU study examining whether fish oil alone and a combination of fish oil and alpha lipoic acid (ALA) show benefits for people with Alzheimer's disease. The study already has shown that most subjects experience no serious side effects, after 6 months, when taking fish oil in combination with medications for dementia.

Volunteers are being recruited for the study. For more information, call the OHSU MS Center of Oregon's research line at 503 494-7963. Callers will be given an initial qualifying screening over the phone.

http://www.medfordnews.com/articles/ind ... 9&cp=10996
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Omega 3 is big in our house. We eat cold water fish 3-5 times per week. Solid white albacore tuna, wild salmon. as well as smoked herring are favorites here. We also use 3 TBS of fresh ground flax seed. Do not allow it to go rancid(keep the ground flax in the freezer and use as needed) Hubby also takes 3000 mg capsules(refrigerate) per day. Take always with cottage cheese about a 1oz each 1000mg. Hubby takes one with each meal. Fat soluble. We do not use fish oil capsules as I'm a tad worried about mercury content as it is higher in capsules then in fish itself although some argue that. We started this regime in April shortly after diagnosis. The weird part was hubby had no visible improvement right out of the hopper but within 2 weeks I noted that the arthritis in my knee was gone. It has not come back and yet I had suffered with if for the past several years and assumed like my Mom I would be getting my knee replaced at some time in the future. It is now 100%. Another factor by the way started at the exact time was turmeric. I use it for cooking and add 2TBS per day to our food. Pure Turmeric is not a strong flavor if it has not been mixed with curry so can be sprinkled on tomatoes as well as all your veggies and salads as well as added to soups sauces meats salads and such. Both are anti inflammatory. Hubby has had a great summer and is not dragging around in the heat this year. In all fairness lipitor 40mg was added in Aug 2004 and copaxone on July 4 2005 as well as vitamin D3 on June 10 2005 at 2000-4000iu per day. We stand at about 2200-2400iu per day as it is summer and will up it in the winter. That was prescribed by Dr. O'Connor. Added all that not to take away from omega 3 but rather to explain I'm unsure which has changed hubby's particular course but as far as I'm concerned we shall stick with the lot as out Doctor monitors liver function as well as blood pressure consistently. We also eat salt water fish( shrimp.crab. snail and other's) at least twice a week. We are on low saturated fats and total fat of between 15-20 g per day. Pineapple also is eaten fresh at least 4 days per week with blueberries,blackberries,strawberries and raspberries picking up the slack. I can not believe the improvement in hubby this summer and as of right now the only noticeable signs of MS is his optic neuritis in his right eye. Even that(happened in Feb 1998) has improved this summer to the point where he can see shadows. His numbness and pain as well as lameness down his left side(Aug 17 2004) has gone. It left in mid July 2005. I'd love to know what the deciding factor was in his healing process but will likely never no. All I know is I used to check each week for improvement and now I check daily as it has been an exciting summer to say the least. Also forgot hubby has suffered from restless leg for all of his life and it disappeared we noted that on June 20 2004 as well as the fact that he had no spring allergies although he suffered from them all his life. He also has no eczema which he has had for over 20 years. Might also mention I took him to an allergist after he was diagnosed in Jan 2005 and we have removed all foods he was allergic or had an intolerance to. We also checked to see if he was allergic to gluten which he was lucky and is not. As I said it is just all to exciting as he has improved in leaps and bounds. His lymph nodes are also not swollen any more but I put that down to removing allergens. Hope this helps but I know we are all so different it is unlikely to. Know your body as I truly believe the cure is there if you can just pinpoint where your own immune system screwed up. Forgot to mention no aspartame caffeine nor tobacco. Hubby does refuse to give up his beer or a glass of wine. :lol: :lol:

Hubby is lucky he does not suffer from depression.
jaycee
Family Member

Post by jaycee »

Boy, I wish you were taking care of me. I hope hubby knows how lucky he is.
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

That's funny as I had some of our support group say the same. So know what I made some of my very healthy carrot soup.
Cut up 4 lbs carrots
1 - 3 inch ginger root peeled
1 leek
4 cloves garlic
2 TBS of olive oil

Put all in a pot and caramelize

Then add 4 cans chicken soup broth with 4 cans water. Simmer for 3 hours salt and pepper to taste. Then blend and serve hot. Awesome

This is the best soup ever and just so healthy. I have a 1000 recipes just ask. Low fat heart healthy. It is a meal by itself with a nice flax loaf and a salad.
ljm
Family Elder

oregon health and science university

Post by ljm »

It seems I've heard of the university doing other research into sort of nono-mainstream approaches to MS. Does anyone know, do they have a good MS clinic there that incorporates some of this stuff?
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

There are 2 clinics there that could treat people with MS...I don't know much about them though.

OREGON CENTER FOR COMPLEMENTARY AND ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE IN NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS
http://www.ohsu.edu/orccamind/

The Multiple Sclerosis Center of Oregon
http://www.ohsu.edu/ms/
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Omega 3's...again

Post by NHE »

Melody wrote:We do not use fish oil capsules as I'm a tad worried about mercury content as it is higher in capsules then in fish itself although some argue that.
For what it's worth, the July 2003 issue of Consumer Reports ran an article on fish oil supplements. The article, available by subscription via the web or at your local library, examined 16 different brands of omega-3 fish oil supplements and found that "none contained significant amounts of mercury, PCBs, or Dioxin." They also found "no significant difference in quality or purity" between the inexpensive brands such as Costco's Kirkland Signature brand and more expensive brands such as Spectrum Essentials and Solgar. Unfortunately, specific data was not presented in the article as it just summarizes the results from their labs as well as "two independent labs." More specific data may or may not be available directly from Consumer Reports.

With that said, I'm also convinced by the available published data that omega-3 fish oil offers benefit for MS. I take about 2.5g/day of omega-3 fish oil, as well as 1g/day cod liver oil, and 9g/day (1 Tbsp.) of ground flax seed. Although this is an older paper from 1995, it had a positive influence in my decision to start omega-3 supplementation after I was diagnosed in 1999.

I should also note for anyone interested that I also take 400IU/day of natural Vitamin E, 50mg/day of R-Lipoic Acid, 500mg/day of Vitamin C, and about 4 cups/day of strongly brewed green tea in addition to Avonex (which I've been on for 5 years). So far I've had no major relapses since my diagnosis, just the same old chronic neuropathic pain in one leg I've had which fluctuates from day-to-day. However, as I recently discovered on a hiking trip last week, I'm definitely not in the same shape I used to be. What used to be a 2.5 hour hike now took 6.25 hours and I was really grateful that I was given a very functional walking stick at the start (it kept me vertical on many occasions too numerous to count).

NHE
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Melody,
Lovely soup recipe, thanks for sharing. I like to caramelize onions and make an onion soup in similar fashion. I can't wait to do your version. Can you share your flax loaf? I do gluten free (tested positive)but can adapt it...
Blessings
Marie
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

My flax loaf comes straight from Costco no soy nor corn product's in it. It is awesome. :lol:
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
treez
Family Elder

Post by treez »

Follow this link to read another thread on this site RE: Omega 3's

http://www.thisisms.com/modules.php?nam ... pic&t=1121

Treez
Alicia
Family Member

Cod Liver Oil

Post by Alicia »

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a specific brand of lemon flavored cod liver oil that was good and a good supplier over the internet to order it from.

Thank you!

Alicia
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/arcticcod1.html

Or others from this page:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/n ... iver%20oil

They are very good for most other things as well!

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Observant
Getting to Know You...

Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil

Post by Observant »

I belong to Consumer's Lab (don't confuse with Consumer Reports), and Carlson's passed all the tests with flying colors.