Sublingual curcumin?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Sublingual curcumin?

Post by NHE »

Curcumin has very poor absorption into the bloodstream via the gastrointestinal tract. What about a sublingual curcumin as an alternative? Would it be possible to just simply dump out the contents of a curcumin capsule under your tongue? Or perhaps mixing it with a little oil like olive oil or something?

NHE
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Sublingual curcumin?

Post by CureOrBust »

I would of presumed that to be made into a sub-lingual, it would need to be a small molecule, and be water soluble; the last of which we know curcumin is not.

I did a search, and found that the Wiki had no real insights, but does have a section on Bio-availability in its different forms.

Now this page talks of home made nasal spays as well as sublingual. Have not finished reading it myself, please post what you get out of it.
http://margaret.healthblogs.org/2007/11 ... -curcumin/
And a link off of the above page goes to a nasal spray product http://www.bioponic.com/pages/curecumin.html But it sounds like expensive water with little curcuminoids to me.

This page has comments by people trying all sorts of "delivery". :think: Yet none have given a suppository a try. Takers? :ymblushing:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Sublingual curcumin?

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:I would of presumed that to be made into a sub-lingual, it would need to be a small molecule, and be water soluble; the last of which we know curcumin is not.
More info on the chemical properties of curcumin from Sigma-Aldrich.

Solubility
  • ethanol: soluble 10 mg/mL
  • DMSO: >11 mg/mL
  • 0.5 M NaOH: soluble (then immediately dilute in PBS)
Sigma also wrote:Easily penetrates into the cytoplasm of cells, accumulating in membranous structures such as plasma membrane, endoplasmic reticulum and nuclear envelope.
So it looks like getting it into cells wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how well it would be picked up by the blood stream though.

NHE