Which of these iherb magnesium supplements is advised?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
dc10
Family Elder

Which of these iherb magnesium supplements is advised?

Post by dc10 »

Hi ,
I need some Magnesium Glycinate tablets, and will buy from iherb (from the UK) but there is such a huge selection, and being low on money, could someone please suggest one of the magnesium glycinate products that is suitable for a MS patient:

http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=magnesiu ... 0&y=0#none

But as i follow the Wahls diet. cannot contain any dairy, gluten, sugar, soy, grain

thank you
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Which of these iherb magnesium supplements is advised?

Post by jimmylegs »

i use the kirkman labs one myself. not because i have a lot of choice though. it's just what i can find locally. works great for me!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Cilantro
Getting to Know You...

Post by Cilantro »

Does it have to be in the Glycinate form? From my research, it appears that Magnesium Malate is the most bioavailable form (though it's extremely expensive) followed by Magnesium Citrate (much more affordable). I'm not sure where Glycinate fits in, but if you were okay with the citrate form, I'd recommend:

NOW brand MAgnesium Citrate powder. I order this from iHerb, because aside from being affordable and bioavailable, since it's in powder form, there are no binders or fillers or any other ingredients AT ALL. I notice that if I haven't taken it in a while, I tend to get leg cramps at night, so I can tell that it's actually working.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i don't have experience with malate i have read this:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6538439_diffe ... late_.html

"Both magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate can provide the body with a sufficient amount of the mineral. Your choice will depend on your health and energy needs. For example, if you would like to feel more energized, magnesium malate is for you. On the other hand, if you would like to improve nutrient absorption, magnesium glycinate is the logical choice"

"Glycinate Benefits
This form of magnesium is less disruptive on the bowels than magnesium chloride, citrate and sulfate, which can cause diarrhea. Aside from these considerations, magnesium glycinate is five times easier for the body to absorb than magnesium oxide."
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

it doest hve to be the glycinate form, but before when i take mag oxide i get the laxative side effects, which isnt nice - incontinence!

i read mag citrate and malate also have this laxative affect so dont want to take them for that reason.

besides glycinate, what other forms of magnesium dont have a laxative effect?
or if they all do, which is least powerful of laxative effects?

thanks
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

mag oxide is one of the least absorbable and therefore has some of the worst GI side effects (or benefits, it depends what you need right)
glycinate is the one for absorption without laxative effect, as far as i know. mag citrate is my second choice. but you're right citrate's still an insoluble form so care must be taken with dosage and timing.
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

thanks JL, i will stick with glycinate,

but as im going to start taking a full spectrum supplement, this one: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Full-Spe ... ablets/689

do you still think id get the laxative effects, even in a multivit like that one, i will be taking the glycinte too

or do you know of a better full spectrum supplement?

What should i be looking for in a daily probiotic supplement?
As theyres many types im quite lost on the best probiotics to buy from iherb;
http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=probiotic&x=0&y=0#none

the cheaper the better too,

is 5 billion friendly bacteria, daily, enough

thanks
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you may well still get laxative effects with that full spectrum product.. 500mg mag oxide?? eep!

i don't know of a better full spectrum mineral supp. i just have a VERY EXPENSIVE multivit/min which i take at a fraction of the recommended dose. esp since i am still working through my other jars of extra vits etc.

if i were to buy a probiotic supp i would go for renew life's ultimate flora critical care - 50 billion, 60 capsules (2 mo supply), ~$40:
http://www.renewlife.ca/products-detail ... /#overview

in the past i have gone for udo's super 8 high potency - 42 billion, 30 caps, 1 mo supply, ~$20.
http://udoerasmus.com/products/probiotics_super8_en.htm
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

thanks JL,

Unfortunately i can't afford the prices of those probiotics

what do you feel should be the minimum number of friendly bacteria (in billions) ?
Are probiotics that beneficial to MS patients?

- its a shame they dont make a full spectrum supplement including mag glycinate, they seem to be mag oxide or citrate!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

if your nutrient status and intakes are good you shouldn't need to take supplemental probiotics long term. vitamin d is a key one for maintaining gut homeostasis and we know zinc and magnesium are key supporters in that department.

i don't have a minimum number, but i wonder if a single month of one of the above could repopulate whatever you may have lost, and then your nutrient status could keep things steady thereafter. hard to say if you're not having bloodwork done to assess the regimen.
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

i see,
i've had lots of blood work done recently, all my nutrient values in the higher end of the range,
plus got other tests done whilst at hospital and my B12 and folate levels were high:

TEST - VALUE - RANGE
Vitamin B12 - 765 - 191 - 663 - HIGH
Serum Folate - > 20.00 - 4.6 - 18.7

plus i only take a vitamin b50 once daily, so was quite surprised at my b12 level ,
i assume these results are positive?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yep, if you've been taking zinc, your b12 absorption from food and supps should be better. your vit b12 does not look excessive - just higher than the norm seen in tests done at that lab.

i saw one study where 615 pmol/L was the mean value in subjects tested.
(Reference values for serum folate, erythrocyte folate and serum cobalamin in Nigerian adolescents.)

not sure what units your vit b12 results are in. so if your result was 765 pg/mL that would be 564 pmol/L.

some researchers have suggested that 500-550 pg/mL (~360-400 pmol/L) should be a minimum
(Are U.S. Lower Normal B12 Limits Too Low?)
you wouldn't believe the hoops i had to jump through back in the day to get the long form of this snail mailed to me :S even while i still enjoyed full text access.
lucky us, these days someone has copied it to a different host:
http://alzheimers2ndopinion.net/b12limits.htm
interesting points:
"These reported [neurocognitive assessment] NCA deficits have proved to be a consistent pattern in identifying four previous, similar cases of reversible (350-400 pg/mL) vitamin B12 dementias in our clinic.... As with other reports, this case supports the notion that mental manifestation of B12 deficiency can precede hematologic abnormalities. A IV-stage model of the development of B12 deficiency has suggested that myelin or other neurological damage can occur in the first two stages when B12 levels can still be within the "normal" range." [ie, before hematologic abnormalities such as increased mean corpuscular volume are observed]
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

Thanks im not so concerned with the b12 result now,

about probiotics i remember reading Dr Wahls saying how important a healthy gut is in MS patients, but do you feel following the wahls diet is sufficient to maintain a healthy gut, without the use of probiotics?
i just recall dr wahls saying her patients take a probiotic too. which got me thinking
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

glad your fears are laid to rest :)

a healthy gut is extremely important. i personally have noticed far better improvements in gut health from changing my diet and addressing deficiencies - notably zinc deficiency.

see this older chat

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p181311 on leaky gut and links to zinc status.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

From the appearance of Dr. Andrew Weil on The Dr. Oz Show recently:
Essential #2: Pistachios and DGL
Problems with digestion, heartburn, stomach pains, and IBS are the classic side effects of the standard American diet and stress. Dr. Weil has a solution – a combination of pistachios and an herbal product made from licorice called DGL.
Low-calorie and full of nutrients and fiber, pistachios are great for digestion. New research indicates that these ultra-healthy nuts have prebiotic characteristics – meaning they can help support higher levels of beneficial bacteria in your digestive tract. Just one serving of pistachios can make a big difference for your aching stomach. And there’s more good news – one serving is 47 nuts, a larger serving size than any other type of nut, which clocks in at only 158 calories and contains more fiber than half a cup of spinach. That fiber, along with pistachios’ unsaturated fat keeps your digestive system running smoothly. The healthy fats also help to lower cholesterol levels.

The next digestive aid is called deglycyrrhizinated licorice. Don’t confuse DGL with the candy; this licorice is an herbal extract that can be used to treat indigestion and heartburn. It acts by increasing the mucous coating in your stomach, lower esophagus and intestinal tract, protecting those tissues from irritation by stomach acid. This soothing effect helps to treat symptoms of GERD and can protect against the damaging effects of NSAIDs like ibuprofen.

You can find DGL at most health food stores. Try slowly chewing a dose of 2 (75 mg) tablets before or between meals. DGL also comes in a powder form – try half of a teaspoon in between meals. While DGL is perfect for anyone who suffers from heartburn, it is not recommended for anyone with diabetes, high blood pressure or a history of heart disease.
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/andrew-w ... age=2#copy

This supplement, DGL, is even mentioned in a book I'm currently reading, The Hormone Diet by Dr. Natasha Turner. She mentions it in conjunction with Leaky Gut. You might want to investigate DGL as possibly helping to obtain a healthy gut.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"