Is too much B12 toxic? + OTHER blood test results

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Is too much B12 toxic? + OTHER blood test results

Post by jimmylegs »

sounds good re solgar.

4oz veal liver has about 850% of the 2mg RDA for copper. so, that's 17mg. how many oz. of what kind of liver would you say you consume weekly? (i don't know if other livers have less copper than calf's liver)

i didn't know what to recommend for a copper supplement form, beyond what i posted above "absorption of copper from cupric oxide supplements is lower than that from copper gluconate, sulfate, or carbonate... " "copper gluconate, copper acetate, or copper sulfate, are more easily absorbed than copper oxides..." and what i personally take, so i checked AOR. they have a zinc copper balance product that uses zinc citrate and copper citrate. same as the one but a different ratio. 15:2 instead of 50:2. so i'm betting you'd do well to at least triple your daily supplemental copper intake. possibly over the long term, although it'd be very wise to monitor that route via follow-up bloodwork.

so. all that said, it doesn't look like there's anything really wrong with copper sulfate, if the wiki info is reliable. so you should be okay to just add a few more of those into the mix for a while. maybe 10 mg per day for two weeks, wash out, then re-test, then 6 mg per day for a month, wash out, and re-test.

if you decide to take more zinc, what about starting with 100mg every other day, and 50mg in between. you don't want to overdo.. esp with the copper the way it is. also. any day that you take 100mg zinc, take the upper limit (10mg) for copper. you are right, you will need even more copper if the zinc intake goes up. testing in the long term will tell the tale. consider re-testing zinc when you do the second copper follow-up, a couple months from now, or thereabouts.

i would say that vit E product is potentially driving your natural ratio out of whack. if you can find an E8 complex without breaking the bank that would be a great idea. not sure if the soya oil is enough to compensate for all that alpha tocopherol :S however. i only mention b/c it may be helping your system deal with the less than optimal zinc levels.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

i have heard back from solgar and they said:

Unfortunately I couldn’t get onto the link that you sent me. However, the form of cobalamin used in our complexes is cyanacobalamin.

is this a good form?

i have been looking for copper glyconate tablets but most seem to have a much lower elemental zinc content, like this 8mg copper glyconate only has 1mg elemental copper,
should i be looking for 5mg+ elemental copper daily?

http://www.bodykind.com/product/636_90- ... mg-Tablets

would copper citrate have the same laxative effects as zinc citrate?

thanks
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya :)

your body has to break down cyanocobalamin (cyanide+cobalamin) and then process out the cyanide and complex the cobalamin into things like methylcobalamin to make it bioavailable. methylcobalamin is meant to be better in terms of bioavailability (although shorter shelf life) but you have to take higher doses, in the order of 1000-2000mcg daily.

i would go high with the elemental copper given your situation. can you speak to a pharmacist about it? and, i have never seen laxative effects from zinc citrate. just magnesium citrate. i don't have any GI reaction to the copper supplement i take (the one that's part and parcel of the zinc), but only 2mg (elemental) per day is provided.

i'm thinking, see if you can find 2mg elemental copper, and take it 4 times a day (ie w meals and bed time) for a couple weeks.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
dc10
Family Elder

Post by dc10 »

sorry for the very late reply, i just realised,

since the last few weeks i did take 4x 2mg copper (elemental) Copper Bisglycinate (chelate)
for 2 weeks so hopefully this is increasing my copper levels
after 2 weeks i cut down to 2x 2mg copper
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

k sounds good. hope you can get a re-tests of some of these things in a few weeks, see how things are getting on with the new post-bloodwork adjusted regimen.